IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
These are the best sets of IRs I've used. I love the consistency between different IRs of the same set - you really get the sound and feel of the cab in each IR, instead of different IRs almost sounding like they came from different cabs even though they were captured using just one cab (I've felt this way for many other cab packs from other producers). I hope to see many more IR packs in the future!

The clips sound great. Now, get to work on a 1x15 bass cab :cool:
I've taken quite a few shots of a vintage Ampeg B15 I have over here at the moment. It's really unique and gritty. I gotta figure out how deep to go with shooting it, but I think it'll be a cool one. Just not sure where to put it in my queue of cabs.

These are the best sets of IRs I've used. I love the consistency between different IRs of the same set - you really get the sound and feel of the cab in each IR, instead of different IRs almost sounding like they came from different cabs even though they were captured using just one cab (I've felt this way for many other cab packs from other producers). I hope to see many more IR packs in the future!
Thank you so much for this! Can I ask which cabs you're using mainly?

Justin one question as i am curious
what makes the biggest difference
in the sound of cab Irs
is it cabinet itself , the speakers
or the mic or mic combinations used
obviously all 3 contribute to the sound and character but which would you rank as most or least as far as how it influences the tone

in the sound of cab Irs
obviously all 3 contribute to the sound and character but which would you rank as most or least as far as how it influences the tone
I won't speak for @York Audio . His experience with IR capture far exceeds mine. But you're missing one of the factors that contributes to the sound of an IR: the room itself.

I won't speak for @York Audio . His experience with IR capture far exceeds mine. But you're missing one of the factors that contributes to the sound of an IR: the room itself.

that is very true Rex , i forgot about the room in which the cab is captured being an intregal part of the sound

in the sound of cab Irs

Man, there are so many important variables in making these, and they all end up mattering a lot. First and foremost, the cab needs to sound good. Everything else that goes into making a good IR is meaningless if the cab itself isn’t great, and trust me, all cabs are different...even if they’re identical. I have two Mesa OS cabs from the same batch and one definitely sounds better than the other.

Speakers obviously play a big part, mic choices that compliment the cab are important, good mic placement is crucial, the room, the gear, and several other things I can’t mention all work together to make a great sounding capture. I can’t say one is more important than another, but if I HAD to prioritize, it would be:

1. Speaker
2. Cab
3. Mic placement
4. Mic type

Wow! I was like not another Mesa cab! But demo sounds great.

Will buy this later today! Great work again!

Thanks! The badge says Mesa, but it doesn’t sound like the others at all. I wasn’t planning on shooting a full pack with it, but once I heard it, I freaked out and had to throw more mics at it. You’ll have to let me know what you think after you take it for a spin.

Thank you so much for this! Can I ask which cabs you're using mainly?

I'm playing around a ton with the Mesa cabs right now, especially the 4x12 traditional (I'm partial to mix 13 in particular). I find that it's suitable for a wide variety of amp models. The Bogner cab is great for getting thunderous low end while maintaining an aggressive and clear midrange.

I'm also finding that the Vox 1x12 IRs are the best IRs I've used for that classic chimey, edge-of-breakup tone. I was hoping to get similar results from the Matchless 2x12 IRs when you first released them, but found the cab's tone to be a bit boxy for I was looking for. I've tried a lot of different IRs for this sound, and I'm glad I pulled the trigger on yet another Vox IR pack, because this one's seriously good!

@York Audio I have so many third party Mesa cabs so I thought I didn't need another. I was dead wrong. This is a great piece of work. Absolutely loving this cab. Has jumped to the top of my go-to list. Just wanted to stop by and tell you how great it sounds and how much I like it! Mix 3 is killer for me, and a combination of 313 and 57 or SM7 pulls up a killer, tight Petrucci sound instantly (don't even need to play with anything, a 50/50 mix of the first 313 and 57 shots sounds great, or use the Off Axis shot to add a little more darkness for this sort of tone - add a little low and high cut to taste and golden). I always love your OA captures - please keep doing them :)

Did I read somewhere that the speaker impedance curve "2x12 Recto" is an exact match for this cab pack (ie. the curve was captured from this exact cab)? Is that right, or am I dreaming?

Last edited:
@York Audio I have so many third party Mesa cabs so I thought I didn't need another. I was dead wrong. This is a great piece of work. Absolutely loving this cab. Has jumped to the top of my go-to list. Just wanted to stop by and tell you how great it sounds and how much I like it! Mix 3 is killer for me, and a combination of 313 and 57 or SM7 pulls up a killer, tight Petrucci sound instantly (don't even need to play with anything, a 50/50 mix of the first 313 and 57 shots sounds great, or use the Off Axis shot to add a little more darkness for this sort of tone - add a little low and high cut to taste and golden). I always love your OA captures - please keep doing them :)

Did I read somewhere that the speaker impedance curve "2x12 Recto" is an exact match for this cab pack (ie. the curve was captured from this exact cab)? Is that right, or am I dreaming?

i like you did not feel the need for Another Mesa w v30 but since i own so many of the other pack, and after hearing Justin’s ,I thought why not

also like you it is now probably my favourite of the Mesas
it just feels so focused and alive
the OA and cap edge shots are incredible as are the mixes

Hello guys,

Reviewing Justin’s tones in this lockdown I am reviewing Bogner IR pack

I wonder if any of you managed to get any preset nice for that amp?

I have tried to dial a couple of presets but not satisfied yet

@orion32773 posted this great video a bit ago (real amp)

@York Audio : community , this is a tone challenge, anyone happy to accept it and dial the closest tone to the video using the IRS?

Stay safe x

Hello guys,

@York Audio : community , this is a tone challenge, anyone happy to accept it and dial the closest tone to the video using the IRS?

Stay safe x

you should be able to get close
you will have to change the Bogner
XTC model to EL34 and he has the treble and pres up a bit

does he say what mics? i did not catch it

Thank you so much, and I’m glad you’re having fun with the Mesa 2x12. And yup, the 2x12 Recto impedance curve was taken from this actual cabinet. :)

Hello guys,

Stay safe x

I just copied Greg’s amp settings (roughly) with the Euro Blue model (4x12 Euro impedance curve) and used the Bogna 57-5 IR and it’s really close. Just tweak for your guitar, but here’s what I had.

Euro Blue:
Input drive 8-10
Bass 4
Mid 4
Treble 6
Presence 6
Depth 5
Master Volume 4
Dynamics page Output Comp set to Gain Enhancer at 0.8

I would record something, but the storm took out our internet, so I can’t upload anything. Womp womp. :(

Hope this works for you, and have fun.

Edit: Corrected Treble setting.

Last edited:
Thanks Justin can’t wait to listen how it sounds with your great hands, you know I will ask you to upload the preset hahaha?

Bogna 57-5 IR you mean mix 5 ? Sorry don’t have the computer with me now
Do you modify the high and low cut in the can block? ... told ya was easier sharing the preset and just loading the mix IR hahaha

Cheers

Thanks Justin can’t wait to listen how it sounds with your great hands, you know I will ask you to upload the preset hahaha?

Bogna 57-5 IR you mean mix 5 ? Sorry don’t have the computer with me now
Do you modify the high and low cut in the can block? ... told ya was easier sharing the preset and just loading the mix IR hahaha

Cheers
The settings above IS the preset. I just did what Greg did. Took a screenshot of his amp, zoomed in, copied the settings, and used 57-5 (not Mix 05) because it looked like that’s what he had on his cab. I didn’t touch the cab block aside from the IR, so the cuts were 20-10k. His guitar has a Thornbucker in the bridge (if I remember correctly) which is a very bright pickup that sounds kinda like my SG. Your guitar may be brighter or darker, so just turn the knobs until it sounds good to you. :)

@York Audio I was renaming the mixes included in the pack to contain the "recipe" in the file name
and I realized that the MES412 manual only mentions 9 mixes when there are 10 mixes in the folder

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom