Closed Simplifying the preset system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omri Bazelet

Inspired
I Think that the scenes and presets needs to be way more simplier that what it is.

For example. When creating a preset. It doesn't need to have the same signal flow unless!!! i copied it and wanted the same.
Because if you want a totally different preset you need to get really messy by turning off a lot of effects that you won't need. Or else if you want a different you need to set it to a different channel. Why it can't be just that that each scene is unique and doesn't have to do anything with the first scene.
EVERY OTHER MULTI EFFECT UNIT WORK LIKE IT!!!!!!
Why it must be so outsmarting on purpose???

Well, I'm not the designer but I would guess that a preset represents a particular structure that is loaded into computer memory and that scenes are variations on that structure populated with different parameter values. Creating the structure takes time whereas populating the structure with different values is almost instantaneous. Thus changing scenes is very quick and would not be so if each scene had to create a different programming structure. Just my guess. But as Jack Napalm has said if you don't want the programming advantage of scenes, just use presets and you should be pretty happy.

Seems like a bit of confusion of presets vs scenes. A Preset is a collection of blocks in a set order, both determined by the user. Scenes are the channel and on/off states of the blocks within a preset to fit the needs of the user.

Think of Presets as different pedalboards that can be assembled.
Scenes are similar to a looper switcher that can be programmed to control multiple effects with the press of one switch.

Seems like a bit of confusion of presets vs scenes. A Preset is a collection of blocks in a set order, both determined by the user. Scenes are the channel and on/off states of the blocks within a preset to fit the needs of the user.

Think of Presets as different pedalboards that can be assembled.
Scenes are similar to a looper switcher that can be programmed to control multiple effects with the press of one switch.
But not really useful.
For example. If you have songs with really different sounds.
It much easier To make a preset that called - song 1
with
clean scene
crunch scene
and lead scene.
Why i need to depend on the clean scene to create a whole new scene inside a preset?

But not really useful.
with
clean scene
crunch scene
and lead scene.
Why i need to depend on the clean scene to create a whole new scene inside a preset?
You can do that, or you can do the same in 3 different presets. Your choice... not like there's a shortage of preset storage.
What scenes do is provide the flexibility to use different settings with a preset... if you want something totally different, create another preset.
It's pretty simple to decide which route to take!

But not really useful.
with
clean scene
crunch scene
and lead scene.
Sounds like you're making it more of a problem than it really is. Each scene will obviously need to be programmed and will have a starting point. Why does it matter if it starts as a duplicate of another scene?

The solution would be to create a Template that has the Clean, Crunch, Lead and/or whatever scenes you need or want. To create a preset for a new song, load the Template and change the Amp, Cab and effects to what's needed in order to get the tones you want.

because if i need to tweak some things on the same effect for example it will influence the other scene as well. For example. I have a great reverb on my clean channel and really dig it. But in my lead tones i would like to have more in the mix.
Why I Can't just take the same reverb change it a bit, and when it saves. it saves it just to that scene and not for all of my scenes

because if i need to tweak some things on the same effect for example it will influence the other scene as well. For example. I have a great reverb on my clean channel and really dig it. But in my lead tones i would like to have more in the mix.
Why I Can't just take the same reverb change it a bit, and when it saves. it saves it just to that scene and not for all of my scenes
Use a different channel for that different scene if you want that functionality.

Scenes only change block on/off and channel.

It really sounds like you should just use presets and don't use scenes. That would be simplifying it, as requested.

Now we're getting to the core issue. Presuming that you're using 3 scenes, use Channel A in all blocks for your Clean tone, Channel B for your Crunch and Channel C for your Lead. Again, creating a Template would make this much faster and easier when crafting presets.

If you have an effect set the way you want it to sound for all scenes but need different mix or level per scene, you can copy one Channel to all others. Any changes you make in each scene will have the same effect, just a different mix or level.

Think of it this way:

PRESET CHANGES:
The Advantage: You can change the whole signal path
The Disadvantage: Changes between presets are not perfectly seamless; there's a small audio gap

SCENE CHANGES:
The Advantage: You can make a scene change entirely seamless with no audio gap. Some people (like me) literally crossfade from their clean sound to their crunch sound by running two amps at once, and mixing them at different levels in each scene.
The Disadvantage: Perfect seamlessness requires keeping the same signal path, and carefully adjusting bypass states (or, with scene controllers, various levels) from scene-to-scene. That can be complicated and constraining.

@Omri Bazelet, if you don't care at all about the advantage of Scene Changes, then don't use them. Using them forces you to wrestle with the disadvantages. There is no reason to do that, unless you need the advantages.

Most users are perfectly happy using only the default scene per preset, and using different presets for different parts of a song. It sounds like you are that kind of user. There is nothing wrong with doing that.

Reactions: Rex
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom