IRs York Audio Master Thread - Newest Cab Pack: KW 412 M25-SH

Third-party impulse response pack
How does the 2x12 compare to the Mesa 4x12 Traditional?
Same question, wondering how the Trad 4x12 and even the Oversized 4x12 compare to this (I assume this will be a lot closer to the Trad). I comparison clip playing some riffs through all three would be great!

Here's a clip I just made using a Looper and scrolling through the cabs. The amp settings are all the same, but I changed the impedance curves (the 2x12 Recto curve was made with this actual cabinet) to match each IR's cabinet. Each tone is just a single 57 in roughly the same spot in order to keep it as consistent as I could.

This is the order of the cab changes.
MES 212 - MES 412 Trad - MES 212 - MES 412 OS - MES 212

The MES 212 has the deepest and tightest low end and has a really balanced midrange and overall forwardness to it.
The MES 412 Trad has a push in the upper mids and the low resonance is quite a bit higher. I like the pick attack in that one.
The MES 412 OS has a push in the lower mids and nice low resonance body to it that makes it feel really big.

@York Audio Please, don't think for a single second that I´m trying to insult your worth or undervaluing your amazing work.

But your recent mesa 212 release with demo and full versions has made me think about something....

I only ever use mic mixes (yours and all other developers for many many years).
Because in my mind I´m not paying for "a mesa 4x12 ir pack" I´m paying for YOUR EARS and taste capturing those tones and mixing those captures.
And all the packs I have bought from you have been because of your really great sounding demos in your website that (correct me if im wrong) are always of the mixes.
I personally think that if I ever have the need to go out of the "mixes/summary/selection/best of/whatever" folder to get the tone I´m looking for then there is an inherent problem with the IR pack.
And I end up literally deleting forever 98% of the IRs included on every IR pack I have ever bought in the last decade.

It would be great to have 2 tiers of IR packs:
Light/Lite packs: just your mixes/developer special recipe/Chef´s choice IRs
and
Advance/tweaker packs: with all the options of many individual mics for those who go "all the way" experimenting and like to have as many tonal options as humanly possible to make their own special homemade tones.

Thanks for your attention and I will reiterate than I really appreciate all the hard work behind every IR pack ;)

Thank you so much, and I didn't think your post was negative at all.

I'm really glad you're finding great tones with the Mixes in the packs. I spend a lot of time on those, so it's awesome to hear that they are all you're needing to get the sounds you want. And I'm glad you like "my ears." Making IRs is more of an art form than it is a science, so your encouragement means a lot.

In my opinion, my cab packs are pretty much the happy medium between "Lite" and "Advanced/Tweaker" packs. Instead of hundreds (or even a thousand) IRs in a pack, I keep it to just the necessary stuff. Every single shot is basically a "Chef's choice" IR meant to serve a different purpose. Believe me, I could go WAAAAAAY deeper with the file count when it comes to including more shots, but I'd rather give you what you need with 5 sweet spots, some cap edge, and some off-axis captures. Between those and basic amp controls, it's really easy to get cool tones and spend more time playing and less time auditioning IRs. Sometimes I shoot mics that don't make the cut and I'll omit them from the pack because I don't want to add stuff if it isn't great. More isn't always more, so the goal is to have quality over quantity while still giving options so your tone can evolve with your tastes.

However, I do think it would be fun to explore a "Mixes Only" pack with several cabs included.

So much to do... so little time... so little energy left after playing with my kids while we're all quarantined... but also, so grateful to be healthy and be able to work on these while we're waiting for normalcy in the world again.

Justin I am loving all your new IR packs! I’ve basically switched completely to the Your IRs... I’ve found that since I have a lot of different sounds I’ve found that different packs work great for different amps. The Bogner, Zilla and new 2x12 Mesa work awesome on SLO and 5150 style amps. The 4x12 OS works great on the recto style amps and the 4x12 TRAD are absolutely stellar for the Mark series amps. Absolutely loving the VX, matchless and Deluxe verb packs for clean stuff too. Really looking forward to all the stuff you have coming. Keep up the great work!

That's great to hear! And you nailed it! Different amps tend to like different cabs more than others, so mixing and matching is where it gets really fun in finding those combinations that gel well with your style. I like the amps you mentioned. Those are most of my go-to's.

MESA TRAD : 4x12 Recto Small ?

I’ve always thought that the corresponding curve was Recto Straight.

Do you know (and enlight me) what Small and Straight are standing for ?

Thanks !
This is a tricky one. From what I THINK I remember reading, some of the 4x12 Recto curves were taken a long time ago and the cab specifics weren't documented, so they're not sure which exact models were used for those curves. I could be completely off on this, but I wonder if the 4x12 Recto Small had 60 watt V30's in it instead of the 70's, because that curve doesn't feel quite right with my Trad without tweaking. I experimented a lot with it today and weirdly ended up loving the 4x12 Soldano curve with that cab and just let ride. It's probably not the most accurate, but it feels really good.

@York Audio Please, don't think for a single second that I´m trying to insult your worth or undervaluing your amazing work.

But your recent mesa 212 release with demo and full versions has made me think about something....

I only ever use mic mixes (yours and all other developers for many many years).
Because in my mind I´m not paying for "a mesa 4x12 ir pack" I´m paying for YOUR EARS and taste capturing those tones and mixing those captures.
And all the packs I have bought from you have been because of your really great sounding demos in your website that (correct me if im wrong) are always of the mixes.
I personally think that if I ever have the need to go out of the "mixes/summary/selection/best of/whatever" folder to get the tone I´m looking for then there is an inherent problem with the IR pack.
And I end up literally deleting forever 98% of the IRs included on every IR pack I have ever bought in the last decade.

It would be great to have 2 tiers of IR packs:
Light/Lite packs: just your mixes/developer special recipe/Chef´s choice IRs
and
Advance/tweaker packs: with all the options of many individual mics for those who go "all the way" experimenting and like to have as many tonal options as humanly possible to make their own special homemade tones.

Thanks for your attention and I will reiterate than I really appreciate all the hard work behind every IR pack ;)
The problem with the Lite concept with only mixes is that creating them involves all the work of taking the individual mic captures and evaluating them, plus all the work of creating the mixes.

Literally the only work to do for the Deluxe version that's not also part of Lite is to create a second zip with everything, and write documentation of the individual mic files. The Lite version requires 97% of the work, it can't cost 20% of Full, or $1, or whatever bargain we wish for.

Back when I had a Helix, with its way smaller number of IR slots, I dreamed of as many as the III has. But it turns out it's pretty easy to fill up even that many, especially if you have stuff from multiple IR makers. So I'm still in the same position as you, discarding a lot of the files in most packs. Recently I've been trying something similar to what you're suggesting, keeping mostly mixes, partly because you have to get rid of something even before you really start to audition them in detail.

The "problem", especially with Justin's stuff, is that I like a lot of the single mics too.

It's a process, and these are good problems to have :)

Ahhh thanks so much for this Justin!! I've been hoping you'd do the 2x12 Mesa cab eventually, and here it is - it sounds fantastic in the demo too, pretty much exactly how I'd hoped it would. It might be early to say, but it just immediately grabbed me - I think this one might be "my sound".

There's just something about 2x12s that I prefer over 4x12s - part of it is definitely familiarity, because I've never played out of a 4x12 before, but I think part of it is that there seems to be much less phasiness going on. Like, there's more comb filtering going on with 4 speakers in one cab, even when the mic setup is only focused on one or two speakers, which I suppose is part of the appeal, but it's always felt a bit weird to me to play.

I got super tweaky and created a preset using the VX cab on the left and DX on the right. All of these tracks are recorded in stereo and I only swapped L/R and gain staged them once they were in Logic. SUPER impressed with these and I just can't emphasize how amazing it is to get a tone that sounds and feels this great so I can forget about it and start writing and recording!

@York Audio Thanks again for the help over this past weekend with narrowing down the best approach to get what I'm after using the Deluxe cabs! (I'm Sam M.)

York Audio VX & DX Demo

Is anyone playing guitar through the Ampeg 4x10? The only talk of it I've seen has been for bass, and it might only be good/intended for that, but there certainly are 4x10s that are great for guitar.

I got super tweaky and created a preset using the VX cab on the left and DX on the right. All of these tracks are recorded in stereo and I only swapped L/R and gain staged them once they were in Logic. SUPER impressed with these and I just can't emphasize how amazing it is to get a tone that sounds and feels this great so I can forget about it and start writing and recording!

@York Audio Thanks again for the help over this past weekend with narrowing down the best approach to get what I'm after using the Deluxe cabs! (I'm Sam M.)

York Audio VX & DX Demo
I could listen to a record of that all day long. Love the Thrice vibe and thought the mix sounded great! I’m gonna have to try that combo out. Thanks for sharing!

Is anyone playing guitar through the Ampeg 4x10? The only talk of it I've seen has been for bass, and it might only be good/intended for that, but there certainly are 4x10s that are great for guitar.
I just tried it out and wouldn’t recommend guitar through that cab. Some older bass cabs work great for guitar (I have a couple on my to-do list), but this one really is just meant for bass. The horn brings out a lot of clarity for bass tones, but it’s just nasty with a guitar.

I just tried it out and wouldn’t recommend guitar through that cab. Some older bass cabs work great for guitar (I have a couple on my to-do list), but this one really is just meant for bass. The horn brings out a lot of clarity for bass tones, but it’s just nasty with a guitar.
Ah, you're right, didn't see that it had a horn, not nice for guitar.

Thanks a lot everyone. I made another little clip with some different tones and styles using the same IR, Mix 01.

I used my Les Paul through the Matchbox D-30, Lonestar Clean, and USA Lead for the different tones. I hope you like them!

Dang, that first clip is just beautiful. And that last clip is better than any tone I’ve ever heard from Petrucci. Just my opinion. I think i might have a problem though. I check your website like 50 times a day hoping you’ve added a new cab. Lol
Thanks for the tones, brother!

Dang, that first clip is just beautiful. And that last clip is better than any tone I’ve ever heard from Petrucci. Just my opinion. I think i might have a problem though. I check your website like 50 times a day hoping you’ve added a new cab. Lol
Thanks for the tones, brother!
You are way too kind. I need to look back at my notes, but one of the mixes was made with the Petrucci tone in mind and I think it’s one of the SM7/condenser mic blends. I think the preset worked pretty well for that tone even with a Les Paul, but an SM7 with a Majesty guitar would take it over the top. I got to play @chris Majesty years ago, and that guitar definitely has a unique character to it.

You are way too kind. I need to look back at my notes, but one of the mixes was made with the Petrucci tone in mind and I think it’s one of the SM7/condenser mic blends. I think the preset worked pretty well for that tone even with a Les Paul, but an SM7 with a Majesty guitar would take it over the top. I got to play @chris Majesty years ago, and that guitar definitely has a unique character to it.

i think this may be my fav for the hi gain stuff has a great focus clarity
using it w the DZL rips
just a 57 OA and a 121 but really all the different shots sounds great
its such a solid pack Thanks again
any chance of the M65 creamback
even as an add on this cab or in a freidman 212
take care and stay well

I love the SM7 captures on all your cabs! Such a warm and chunky tone. One that really surprised me was the SM58 on the Vox cab. Great sound!

Back
Top Bottom