Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the traditional vaccine stuff, or the newfangled mRNA vaccine stuff?

According to other articles I've read, the four vaccine pharmaceutical giants didn't step in to develop the vaccine (initially, dunno about now) because there's no business model for developing one for emerging viral threats. Johnson & Johnson committed back in January, and says they're planning to make the vaccine available on a not-for-profit basis. Good stuff.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/jo...ccine-emergency-use-human-testing-51585573762

That's promising-ish. Sucks that it's a year away though.

Hopefully, they can come up with something effective, that will minimize or eliminate the damage done by the virus, hopefully even a cure, for people that get it and then when a successful vaccine is developed, it will prevent people from getting the virus.

Hopefully, they can come up with something effective, that will minimize or eliminate the damage done by the virus, hopefully even a cure, for people that get it and then when a successful vaccine is developed, it will prevent people from getting the virus.
Everything I hear about the mix of meds touted by the administration (you know; the hydroxychloroquine mixed with azithromycin) is that it speeds recovery and minimizes damage provided it's taken early enough. Basically it turns would-have-been-Severe cases into Moderate cases.

If this can cut hospital stays and/or make ventilator-use unnecessary for a majority of the severe (or, "would-have-been-severe") cases, it could save our bacon from a medical-system-capacity perspective. If it's a substantial minority of cases, it'll still help a lot.

The challenge is to get it started early enough, which requires fast tests for COVID-19. With slow tests, you don't find out until the case has already turned severe. Alternatively, you could just presume it's COVID-19 and possibly waste meds...but you don't want that, when supplies are limited.

Is that a Kemper violating social distancing?
No, I believe most serious Christians would call that "a Kemper lending support to a dangerously-mistaken heretic."

(Burn the Kemper! ...j/k :p)

According to my Evangelical friends, the proper response to a guy like that is described in Matthew 18: You privately ask him to stop being a heretic; then you bring two or three church leaders along to try to convince him to stop being a heretic; and if that fails, you "take it to the Church," and if he "refuses to listen even to the Church," he gets excommunicated ("treated as a heathen or tax-collector").

Not sure how that's supposed to work, though, when he's the guy who started his church. Who do you "take it to," in the church, other than him?

Better a quiet and somewhat-dull clergyman who doesn't get too big for his britches,
than a talented public speaker with funny ideas and zero accountability.

Last edited:
Outside today at work... wind is 15 mph.
And we were discussing the 6 ft rule.
And this guy smoking a cigarette says watch this...
takes a drag off his cigarette...blows it out the smoke... watched the smoke air out 10-12ft.
The guy standing 15 ft away, down wind... said I can smell the cigarette.
I always take notice of the direction of the wind.. and social distance upwind

Outside today at work... wind is 15 mph.
And we were discussing the 6 ft rule.
And this guy smoking a cigarette says watch this...
takes a drag off his cigarette...blows it out the smoke... watched the smoke air out 10-12ft.
The guy standing 15 ft away, down wind... said I can smell the cigarette.
I always take notice of the direction of the wind.. and social distance upwind
Well.

Y'know, there are plenty of reasons that it's good advice to stand upwind:
https://happymag.tv/uranus-has-started-leaking-gas-nasa-scientists-confirm/

Looks like Trump has revised his estimates.... now saying that if we have 100K to 200K deaths, they've done a very good job. At least he's listening a little bit to experts and projections more.

TP use down like 80% here as a result.

Good job. 🌊:toilet:

While we're on the subject... the way I have reduced my TP usage ("gross out" alert :pileofpoop:):
  • Eat healthy with good fiber. As I shifted my diet from carbs and other intestinal irritants (for me) to greens, veggies, and other fiber (e.g. chia, flax), my poo went from multi-wipe slimy to "no-wipe" solid (one wipe with nothing on it). A dog doesn't have to wipe, why should we? It's amazing.
  • Use less to wipe. If I need more wipes, rather than grab another bunch of TP, I'll add a couple squares to the top of the first bunch, even a couple times - but without wrapping it, which can clog. This alone can halve normal usage. Plus the total TP in bowl is less so less likely to clog.
  • Another tip: Rather than rolling or jumbling up TP, fold like an accordion which reduces clogging and is better for septic systems too.

Last edited:
Bummer...I guess Folding@home's server must be down again since the team page hasn't been updated for a while. At least I see you can still view your own points total from the web control.......I had been using the other one.

Anyone know why the F@H app, at times, just quits awarding points? My computer has been humming for over 24 hours, completed quite a few work units, and the log shows each unit completed/accepted/estimated points awarded, but my point total hasn't moved in over a day... about 25,000 points worth not showing. User name and team unchanged from when it was updating correctly.

I'm sure it's still doing good for the cause, and I just leaving it running. But it does make me wonder why it isn't updating.
i think it's getting the most activity it ever has and like anything internet, servers or processes can be overwhelmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom