Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read this entire thread for informative reasons and I appreciate those of you who research and methodically post the data. I tick a few of the danger group boxes and some of the info here got me started earlier than most on taking precautions. I cannot thank you enough for that. Truly.

I however do not appreciate those that seem to always feel the need to get in their political jab regardless of what side of the isle you reside on.The only reason I am posting this at this time is to inform many of you who toss out your flippant comments about how its just another flu or how this whole situation is any one persons fault that it's very real and this is no time for that kind of division among us.

With that said, It hit home for me today. I was just notified that one of my teammates on the 1996 USA Paralympic Basketball Teams father just passed from complications of COVID-19. It's REAL and it HURTS.

Edit: And Ron, you do a fantastic job as all the moderators do here. It's a thankless job but know that many of us appreciate all the effort.

Last edited:
Nobody really knows much of anything.
And theres plenty of weird ideas being tossed around.
Plenty of speculations.
But that's fine... I've made my points
And I need to respect the forum monitors.
I take all points in what I read, and I dont get caught up enough in anyones ideas or opinions to warrant taking much of it too seriously... if I dont like it. Certainly..not going back and forth with anyone on thier ideas or singling out anyone for a debate.

Good advice from UN SG Antonio Guterres:

https://time.com/5811939/un-chief-coronavirus-misinformation/

"Misinformation About COVID-19 Is the New Enemy"
"“We need to urgently promote facts and science” and “promote hope and solidarity over despair and division.”

The U.N. chief also urged all nations “to stand up against the increase in hate crimes targeting individuals and groups perceived to be associated with the coronavirus.” He didn’t identify any targets but Asians, and especially ethnic Chinese, have reported being singled out for attacks.

Miguel Moratinos, head of the U.N. Alliance of Civilizations, and Adama Dieng, the U.N. special adviser on the prevention of genocide, issued a joint statement Thursday expressing grave concern at the increase in stigma, hate speech and hate crimes over the pandemic.

STOP calling it Chinese Virus!!

Last edited:
“Medicago announces production of viable vaccine candidate for COVID-19
27 March 2020 | News

Medicago, a biopharmaceutical company headquartered in Quebec City, Canada has announced that they have successfully produced a Virus-Like Particle (VLP) of the coronavirus just 20 days after obtaining the SARS-CoV-2 (virus causing the COVID-19 disease) gene.

Production of the VLP is the first step in developing a vaccine for COVID-19, which will now undergo preclinical testing for safety and efficacy. Once this is completed, Medicago expects to discuss with the appropriate Health Agencies to initiate human trials of the vaccine by summer (July/August) 2020.”

https://www.biospectrumasia.com/new...of-viable-vaccine-candidate-for-covid-19.html

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...s-covid-19-vaccine-development-808695832.html

Last edited:
Apparently 20% of South Korea's confirmed cases are those coming in from overseas. They test everyone who's coming in from Europe, citizens and foreigners, then station them at a temporary facility for a day until test results arrive. Those who test positive with less than serious symptoms download a location and symptom tracking app and go into self quarantine. The app rings an alarm if they leave their home, and if you don’t input your symptoms twice a day someone calls you. (And they're soon going to make it mandatory that all overseas arrivals undergo a two week self-quarantine.)

We're doing... none of these things, right?

An unusual thing about Korea, 30% of confirmed cases are people in their 20’s. Older adults are abiding by social distancing rules really well, but teens go to college prep academies and people in 20’s still go out to clubs, drinking, etc. with no masks. Probably a big factor in their low death rate.

Last edited:
Maybe some good news for the US / NY? If this "slow down" isn't due to testing or reporting anamolies...

View attachment 65578
Wait a day, because I think it’s a reporting anomaly. It seems that the current day’s count always shows low, with the final number being posted the following day. If that day still looks lower tomorrow then it’s a good sign. That said, I think it’s nearly impossible the increase rate is trending downward now, because it’s still been less than two weeks since states started implementing stay-home policies. It’s going to get worse before it starts getting better.

Last edited:
“Medicago announces production of viable vaccine candidate for COVID-19
27 March 2020 | News

Medicago, a biopharmaceutical company headquartered in Quebec City, Canada has announced that they have successfully produced a Virus-Like Particle (VLP) of the coronavirus just 20 days after obtaining the SARS-CoV-2 (virus causing the COVID-19 disease) gene.

Production of the VLP is the first step in developing a vaccine for COVID-19, which will now undergo preclinical testing for safety and efficacy. Once this is completed, Medicago expects to discuss with the appropriate Health Agencies to initiate human trials of the vaccine by summer (July/August) 2020.”

https://www.biospectrumasia.com/new...of-viable-vaccine-candidate-for-covid-19.html

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...s-covid-19-vaccine-development-808695832.html
Wasn't this news two weeks ago...? What's different?
https://www.nih.gov/news-events/new...trial-investigational-vaccine-covid-19-begins
https://media.medicago.com/webfolde.../medicago-covid-19-press-release-final-en.pdf

Maybe some good news for the US / NY? If this "slow down" isn't due to testing or reporting anamolies...

View attachment 65578
I noticed that, too. Maybe it's just a downtick in Sunday reporting or some other anomaly. Or maybe it's the start of the flattening of the curve. It's too soon to tell — the same thing happened about a week ago.

Nobody really knows much of anything.
And theres plenty of weird ideas being tossed around.
Plenty of speculations.
But that's fine... I've made my points
And I need to respect the forum monitors.
I take all points in what I read, and I dont get caught up enough in anyones ideas or opinions to warrant taking much of it too seriously... if I dont like it. Certainly..not going back and forth with anyone on thier ideas or singling out anyone for a debate.
In fact I thought your posts weren't really serious and more or less simple provocations to take with more or less humor. One can't actually take seriously these posts, at least not me. Agree that the debate about death rates is of a very variable level part of the time also. Well, take care !

Fingers crossed, but it looks like the "weekend effect" on the numbers reporting. You wouldn't expect both the deaths and the number of cases to start trending downward at the same time. So far today it's looking pretty rough in Europe.

I apologize if the moderation seems uneven. But I'm doing my best here.

I apologize if it sounded like I was complaining. I understand it's a very tough line to
walk considering the situation. Thank you for the response.

No source is given for that data, at least here, so who knows what it means or how reliable it is.

It would be great if everyone who's contributing data also provide the sources.
There's SOOOO much info out there right now and the internet is littered with BS
and a lot of the info comes from that pile unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom