Retirement balance with the current market?

Yes it's a long term thing. Don't sell it unless you really need the money and don't pick individual stocks, just go with the index.

EDIT: and don't read too many of Cliff's posts in this thread or you'll get really scared! 😨

My stock is now at the level it was 3,5 years ago when I stepped in. In other words: all gains from 3,5 years have vanished.
At this point I think I would just leave it be. Eventually it will come back but it might take a few years (or more).

I sold 90% of my portfolio on Feb. 21. I sold the remaining 10% two days ago. When the pandemic is over I'll get back in. Anyone putting money in the market now is crazy.

Yeah the time to sell was about when Cliff did. I sold a lot Jan 27 and then in mid Feb, can't remember the day but it was a bad day for stocks.

I'm waiting for a substantial move in the virus outlook.

This year I created a new challenge for myself this year. Read article on supersavers... so I am doing the super saver challenge.. and it's been a flop so far, and most likely will be.
Saving 30% to my Roth 401k... until that limit maxes out.
And putting 6% in 401k with 3% match in a 401K... and will reconsider what to do when I max out the Roth.
Then I have a individual Fidelity account for myself.
When I start shitting myself over this Corona... because media.. I'll probably at that point... wait for another 15% down... and then pull the trigger on entering into the precious metals section... mining companies, streaming companies...etc.
If there calling a recession, depression... etc.
But I'll look for the Bulls... Tesla... some of the finer things. During the last recession... the well to do... splurged... on the finer things

I been gambling with a company specializing in respiratory illnesses for years now SVRA... and it's been a bear that's costed me 20g, and I got 10 g still into it.. i owned stock in company MSTX ..which was bought out by SVRA..
its held up really well thru this... in phase3 trial now..
it's going to go to the moon... before the results come out

There's a lot of doom and gloom and rightfully so. But out of this crises will be opportunity. The social and financial paradigm that we all know will be changed and with that comes opportunity. Identifying where the opportunity is and having the fortitude to go after it is the challenge.

I know that's not a very insightful post, but I'm a skeptical optimist. I believe humanity wins out in the long run.

Aaaaand now S&P has decided to NOT rebalance their indices and a bunch of funds have done the same. Net effect: all those "safe" and "smart" passive vehicles that just follow the market will now have substantially more tracking error. They'll hold more losers as they avoid selling them to rebalance into winners (or lesser losers). Seems pretty banana republic to me.
Can you blame them? The shift in any stock these days is huge day-over-day. There are going to be some blue chips that drop to near nothing in the coming weeks. Constantly re-stating which stock is in any S&P index seems folly. It's a moving target you'll never hit or even really get near close to hitting.

Ride it out. Everyone.

1ffbbbd24f2fba08e004e39b9803a9b3.jpeg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bl...-to-halt-domestic-gold-purchases-from-april-1

I am a month ahead of the Russians... that's pretty good. The Russians probably have a lot of talented individuals who understand these things and convince the Kremlin to make the move... you should see the value of recognizing when an entire super powers economics team is giving you free advice.
So, what's thier advice then?
Buy low and sell high?
If the Russians stop buying gold.... they only buy when its cheap... thier one of the market makers.
They believe the value of gold will increase, but then decrease again as the economy recovers... or else they would keep on buying.
Theres also increasing competition with cryptocurrency. Kodak is about to introduce thier cryptocurrency.. they pulled the idea off the table after bitcoin maxed and started dropping. Kodak reentry into cryptocurrency has been a key I been waiting for. like the Russians, if you have the resources of a company giving you free advice..recognize it...not that Kodak is full of smart guys... maybe now, things have changed.
And the US government wants to enter the cryptocurrency club now too..
maybe golds loosing its luster.... na

I been gambling with a company specializing in respiratory illnesses for years now SVRA... and it's been a bear that's costed me 20g, and I got 10 g still into it.. i owned stock in company MSTX ..which was bought out by SVRA..
its held up really well thru this... in phase3 trial now..
it's going to go to the moon... before the results come out
SVRA has haulted enrollment of new patients to thier current clinical trials... delays are too common in these trials... I'm not sure how much of that is already factored in... but whatever it drops from here, will bounce back once the study reopens.... which nobody knows..will watch it

Still sitting on the sidelines although I was tempted this week.

Waiting for the new daily active cases number to slow, and for the novelty of all this "free" money from Congress to wear off. I still think there are tough times ahead with everyone getting back to work. What's THAT going to be like??

I know.. it crashes... and then you wait for it to crash again... but it doesn't.... then your afraid to jump in because your expecting it to drop... and then it keeps going up and up... and you want to buy, and you start getting spooked, that as soon as you buy... it will drop...and you watch it go up and up... and you finally buy... and then you hear of spooky news... and all of a sudden.. your stock starts dropping.. and then it drops again...

that why you buy a little at a time, sell a little at a time.. because you cant time the bottom, or the top... if your money is on the sidelines.. your not in the game.. just shift it into a safe haven.. like Clorox

NASDAQ above what it was a year ago. DJIA still 10% low. Both way higher than 2008/9 crash.

Thoughts?

1586889803118.png

Yeah it looks like the COVID recoveries are starting to happen and people are going to start rioting if they can't reopen business, so I'm going to start cost averaging back in. I wanted to see active cases start to decline, but I'm starting to think we're all going to get it eventually, so it's going to be a long time before that happens.

I'm not too concerned about a drop, but I'm very concerned about flatlining for too long. A big drop then a flatline would kill my retirement and I may take up chainsaw juggling.

Back
Top Bottom