Gallien Krueger 250RL/ML Tone match Patch

Superdave0422

Hey everyone. Here is something I though somebody might like. This is a tone match of my real Gallien Krueger 250RL. It was the rack mounted version of the 250ML. These amps, when stock, don't have a lot of gain really. There was a service manual I have had for years titled, "Beefing a 250ML" where it showed you how to open the top of the amp & adjust these 3 trim pots inside to increase the gain. Of course, how could I not? Solid state amp, but jeesh, they held their own to my tube Marshall amps. These were pretty famous as being the amps Iron Maiden used on the Somewhere in Time album. I set this one up for a clean/crunch/Beef scene, & because I love Maiden, I added some Iron Maiden scenes as well. I am pretty happy with the way the patch turned out. Let me know what everyone thinks, & if anyone has any tweaking they would suggest, let me know. By the way, I also have an old Gallien 2100 SEL, which was the one Maiden used on Seventh Son. That might be my next tone match project if anyone would also like that one. Very similar amp though

Attachments

• Gallien 250RL.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 351
Thanks for this - will give it a go today.

I remember Gary Moore using a 250ML too, stereo into 2 4x12s.

His recent estate sale included a couple used for warm-up backstage

I played around with the maiden scenes a bit today. At first I thought while it sounded good, it was too bright and scratchy. I then played along with the backing track and found it fell into place nicely. Just goes to show that a guitar tone on its own means very little, it's how it fits in a mix. Great preset!

I played around with the maiden scenes a bit today. At first I thought while it sounded good, it was too bright and scratchy. I then played along with the backing track and found it fell into place nicely. Just goes to show that a guitar tone on its own means very little, it's how it fits in a mix. Great preset!

Glad you like it. I was using a Jackson SL1 when I made the preset, which has an ebony fretboard, & when I switched to my Charvel with a Maple fretboard, it was a bit on the brighter side, & I had to adjust to suit that specific guitar. It does fit the mix well depending on the guitar & eq of course

👍 ;)Gallien 2100 SEL. ...Thank

I will try to get to that one soon. It has a 4 band EQ on the real amp with specific frequencies (10.0 KHZ, 5.0 KHZ, 500HZ, 80HZ from the front of the amp, in case anyone was curious ) I want to try a few different things this time. Trying to see if somehow I can go directly in from the effects loop out of the amp, with maybe everything at noon on the EQ for the real amp when I capture it, & try to match just that, then anyone can use whatever IR cab afterwards. That is my plan for that one. We will see how it goes. Still trying to mess around with different ways of doing it. These were similar to the 250ML/RL, but you could adjust a lot more from the front (gain, reverb, chorus etc) The chorus was the best thing about these amps though. Amazing! The Dimension Chorus on the Axe FX gets pretty close, but just something about those old GK amps. Too bad they only make bass amps these days.

Hey everyone. Here is something I though somebody might like. This is a tone match of my real Gallien Krueger 250RL. It was the rack mounted version of the 250ML. These amps, when stock, don't have a lot of gain really. There was a service manual I have had for years titled, "Beefing a 250ML" where it showed you how to open the top of the amp & adjust these 3 trim pots inside to increase the gain. Of course, how could I not? Solid state amp, but jeesh, they held their own to my tube Marshall amps. These were pretty famous as being the amps Iron Maiden used on the Somewhere in Time album. I set this one up for a clean/crunch/Beef scene, & because I love Maiden, I added some Iron Maiden scenes as well. I am pretty happy with the way the patch turned out. Let me know what everyone thinks, & if anyone has any tweaking they would suggest, let me know. By the way, I also have an old Gallien 2100 SEL, which was the one Maiden used on Seventh Son. That might be my next tone match project if anyone would also like that one. Very similar amp though
Can you post screenshots of this presets for us that don't have an AXE-FX3 or FM to try out this preset? And soundclips or videos o the scenes?

Last edited:
When I got my Toaster in Feb 2012, the first amp I profiled was my GK250 ML. The magic of that amp is the chorus and reverb together which is really hard to nail, similar to a Maestro PSa-1 phase shifter (a la Steve Howe (Starship Trooper) and Lifeson/2112).

Anyhoo, great great awesome patch.

I had the 250RL and later the 250ML, I also opened them up and cranked up the gain. I traded the 250ML toward a Mesa Boogie Blue stripe head about 20 years ago, one of my best days.

That's one hell of a trade. I love my green stripe.
It was not a straight trade believe me, I had to add some money with it... but I bought it from a local Mesa dealer and they had Mesa go through it right before I bought it. I really didn't know how good of an amp I was buying at the time, but it is the perfect fit for me. I had to fight for every bit of sustain and tone I could get out of those GK's, and I when I finally had a great amp I realized how hard I had to work with them, but it forced me to be a better player I think.

Back
Top Bottom