Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.06 Public Beta (Beta 3)

Possible bug?

FW 12.06 beta 3/Axe-Edit 1.05.07. When I assign an external switch to Inc/Dec presets (+/- 1), it will only decrement, regardless of whether I tap or hold the switch. I've tried with two separate external switches and gotten the same results. This is on an FC-6. I'm using otherwise unused slot 9 (bottom right corner) on the MLM for the external switch assignment. It works as expected if I assign the Inc/Dec to any of the FC-6 switches. I'm only seeing this behavior on external switches.

Increment-Decrement Presets via External Switch Full.jpg

Edit to add:

Rolled back to FW 12.05/Axe-Edit 1.05.06, restored previous 12.05 system files and was able to reproduce the issue. Went back to FW 12.07/Axe-Edit 1.05.07 and the issue remains. But if I assign Preset Inc/Dec to tap only on two separate external switches, it works as expected. Increment on unused slot 9 and decrement on slot 12. The issue appears to be assigning Inc/Dec to both tap and hold functions to a single external switch.

Increment-Decrement Presets via External Switch 2.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't been able to dial it in. The classic and intelligent gates close fine, usually set around -40 to 50, depending on the amp. But even setting the new noise reducer to 0 doesn't close the gate. There's always mild static.
Note that the Classic and Intelligent types can achieve complete silence while the Noise Reducer type can let some sound through as it is designed to be as transparent and unobtrusive as possible.

I haven't been able to dial it in. The classic and intelligent gates close fine, usually set around -40 to 50, depending on the amp. But even setting the new noise reducer to 0 doesn't close the gate. There's always mild static.
Go to global settings and make sure Line Frequency is set to the correct value for your country. Makes all the difference.

Seriously, you don't have to have doubt about every FW release just because it's not suggested by FractalBot.

I mean you might decide you're not comfortable with beta versions like this one, but you've posted similar things in several recent official firmware threads, too.

The updates are released on the forum ahead of the official download page but it's still official (for the non-beta).

And as long as you backup first (you always backup, right?) then you have nothing to worry about at all ;)
I do always back up yes.. I don’t know.. I’m just afraid I’ll break the damned thing and I’m on so little time.. I don’t want to spend the time I’d be playing.. fixing it..

When I assign an external switch to Inc/Dec presets (+/- 1), it will only decrement, regardless of whether I tap or hold the switch.
From the front panel of the Axe-Fx III, go to SETUP -> FC Controllers -> Remote page. Scroll down and set your "Ext. Switch 1 Polarity" to REVERSE (or NORMAL if it's already REVERSE, but I suspect it's not). If that clears up the problem you're seeing, set the other polarities to the same.

Possible bug?

When I assign an external switch to Inc/Dec presets (+/- 1), it will only decrement, regardless of whether I tap or hold the switch.

Just to sanity check, your external switch is a momentary type switch right? Not a latching? You can't "Hold" a latching switch because when you press it it just toggles from Off/On on one press, then back on the second, and so holding and pressing are the same thing.

From the front panel of the Axe-Fx III, go to SETUP -> FC Controllers -> Remote page. Scroll down and set your "Ext. Switch 1 Polarity" to REVERSE (or NORMAL if it's already REVERSE, but I suspect it's not). If that clears up the problem you're seeing, set the other polarities to the same.
Both switches were set to REVERSE. I switched them to NORMAL and got the same behavior.

Just to sanity check, your external switch is a momentary type switch right? Not a latching? You can't "Hold" a latching switch because when you press it it just toggles from Off/On on one press, then back on the second, and so holding and pressing are the same thing.
Yep, all of them are momentary switches. (Valid question to ask, though.)

It appears that whatever the Hold actions is, that's what the Tap behavior becomes. When set up like this, it will only Increment the preset:

Increment-Decrement Presets via External Switch 3.jpg

Edit to add, looks like either Tapping or Holding the external switch produces the Hold behavior. With the setting below, I get the Tuner even if I Tap the switch:

1584639544269.png

Last edited:
Both switches were set to REVERSE. I switched them to NORMAL and got the same behavior.
Just an update for those who may be following...Bryant found the issue was user error. I thought I was plugged into the External Switch 1&2 jack on the FC, but I was plugged into 3&4 instead. When I switched the polarity on the correct switches, the issue I reported was resolved. [Doh!] Once again, the Fractal team kicked butt and took names. 👍 Thanks again, Bryant.

Back
Top Bottom