Help the Fight Against COVID-19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, not saying "snake oil" or "do this and you won't catch it!" But there is much research to suggest the benefit of high dosage of Vit C. Not miracles or cures. But benefits.

Or just eat healthy overall without supplements.
Still won't prevent you from getting sick, but could make it less severe.

Leaked document from presentation given to hospital admins. I think these numbers are a bit on the low side:

5e62a449fee23d58c83a9e62.jpg

Yesterday I heard an epidemiologist on the radio, he knew what he was talking about.
Here in Spain, the spread ratio is 2.6 and the percentage of deaths is 1.1% (ten times more than common flu).
He also commented that the 1600 known infected persons in the country are only the tip of the iceberg, in fact there must be between 5000 and 9000 real cases.
If an infected person cough on a surface, the virus can survive there for up to 20 days if the temperature is low enough (therefore it is not absurd to fumigate the streets). When summer comes and temperatures rise the virus dies much earlier. He also said that viruses travel seasonally from the northern hemisphere to the southern hemisphere and return when winter comes somewhat changed.
Everything points that this covid is still going to be among us for a while.

Last edited:
American Health Care Association President Mark Parkinson:

"Until we get this under control, our new guidance, as of today, is to family members, to loved ones: Don't visit people in elderly facilities; instead, come up with an alternate way to communicate."

"The grim reality is that, for the elderly, COVID-19 is almost a perfect killing machine,"

Be SUPER careful everyone.

Lucky you. In Italy doubling time 2,6 days. In China almost the same.
I don’t think the US is somehow lucky with the doubling time of 7-10 days, I think they just underestimated it. We’ve barely tested, I wouldn’t think we have worthwhile data here to estimate doubling time.

Or just eat healthy overall without supplements.
Still won't prevent you from getting sick, but could make it less severe.

Yup! ..Most proactive measures to limit this thing’s severity usually might be considered long-term good for you. Unless a person has a medical reason why-not, might be, that just exercising a little more to increase lung and heart health will help a person fight this thing to a degree, too.

I might avoid heading to the gym right about now - but, eating right and getting a little healthier by exercising (in a safe way), Unless you have a real reason not to exert yourself, no real downside to any of that, I figure.

I don’t think the US is somehow lucky with the doubling time of 7-10 days, I think they just underestimated it. We’ve barely tested, I wouldn’t think we have worthwhile data here to estimate doubling time.
The current stats indicate a doubling time of about 2.2 days.

All those estimates in that leaked document are too conservative IMO. The CFR is around 5% or more. I'm estimating 5 million deaths in the US unless immediate and radical steps are undertaken.

All those estimates in that leaked document are too conservative IMO. The CFR is around 5% or more. I'm estimating 5 million deaths in the US unless immediate and radical steps are undertaken.
It’s just so bizarre that nothing’s been done here. I’m way late to it, but I get the guy wearing sandwich board feeling now... like wtf?

I'm estimating 5 million deaths in the US unless immediate and radical steps are undertaken.

As you'll see from today's CDC announcement, the steps the federal government are taking amount to: "Gee, I hope you state and local governments do something. Oh, and sorry about that whole testing catastrophe."

It's interesting to read news accounts from other countries who are aghast at the incompetence of the US federal government.

fyi, getting a COVID-19 test in the US is extremely difficult right now. Having the symptoms isn't enough. The president is woefully uninformed when he says "anybody who wants a test can get one.". In fact a lot of the things he's saying are not just wrong, but downright dangerous.

One silver lining in all of this: Americans, generally, have terrible hygiene habits. That might change for the better when we get to the other side of this.

fyi, getting a COVID-19 test in the US is extremely difficult right now. Having the symptoms isn't enough. The president is woefully uninformed when he says "anybody who wants a test can get one.". In fact a lot of the things he's saying are not just wrong, but downright dangerous.

Yep. My niece was in the hospital last week with "flu like symptoms". Apparently the test results for flu came back negative and she requested a COVID-19 test. I'm told they said since she hadn't traveled out of the country and wasn't in direct contact with anyone who had that it wasn't necessary. Ooooooooooookkkkkaaaaay...!?! They sent her home with antibiotics.

CFR is around 0,5. IF the critical issues are being addressed properly. In Italy we barely made it: even with last years health cut, pubblic health system could cover the costs for the emergency.

One silver lining in all of this: Americans, generally, have terrible hygiene habits. That might change for the better when we get to the other side of this.
I was sick on 3/1 weekend with the fever and cough. I wanted to get tested, but was met with the response that unless I have difficulty breathing or have had known overseas contact, I can’t get tested. I still have a mild but persistent cough, a dry one... put myself in quarantine using up sick&vaca hours cus my fellow Asian coworkers who know what's going on understandably don’t want me at work. HR won't do anything for it cus they're following CDC.

BTW where are you getting your daily CDC announcements?

Last edited:
BTW where are you getting your daily CDC announcements?

I was just referring to news reports this morning of info reporters were given to let them know what to expect in the upcoming briefing, which is to say nothing much. That's another problem here. There are no White House press briefings in this administration. So people are left to scramble to find authoritative news.

As you'll see from today's CDC announcement, the steps the federal government are taking amount to: "Gee, I hope you state and local governments do something. Oh, and sorry about that whole testing catastrophe." .. But, it was all somebody else's fault."

There! ..Fixed it for ya! ;):D

I think, anybody sticking their head out of a window and having a quick looky-see over the last decade or-so, might surmise that "we" have been on our own, here in the US, for quite some time.

Oh, I have all the Faith in the World that Govt. are working like maniacs, right now, to get a handle on all this; and to quickly mop-up this mess. Said it before "blah, blah, blah, Money, Power, Glory, blah-blah...", but, that is only counting on selfish people in government being selfish. Which is (sadly), somewhat heartening in times like these.

The good-guys / scientists are also cracking-on with this thing, too. And that's a lot of scientists - wielding a lot of knowledge, all in possession of a Lot of really cool gear!! :0)

...But, individually, we are not victims here. And we much-more-likely-ain't gonna-be "kicking-off", due to this thing. :0)

Just want to reiterate: Hysteria and Panic serves no-purpose - at all, in these situations. It just adds to the negative effects of it.

No matter how this plays out - who, or how-many are effected by this - there is Always something a person can do to empower Themselves - and - Right Now. Whether it be gaining real-knowledge, or making realistic preparations.

There IS Money and Power in solving this thing; but also money and power in down-playing this thing, too; so don't expect rescue.

...If you are waiting for rescue, you'll likely starve due to immobility before that happens, whether this thing touches you at all. ..So expect to put some real effort into taking care of yourself/period.

...after the dust settles on this thing, I have no-doubt that anybody again looking out their window will still notice that they are "by themselves in all this". ...We'll just be back to waiting on the next indication of complete incompetence that jeopardizes us all - that is, IF a person wanted to sit-back and wait for that kinda thing to roll around once again.

It's a mentality thing. Swim, or just sit back, watch the waves come-in, and let them all wash over you for lack of any real-movement.

Move. Make a plan. Do what you can. If you run out of ideas, Research, Be realistic about this thing. Prepare - without going mental in that regard. 15 ARs and Million rounds of ammo is always gonna be trumped by a box of buck-fifty power-bars. Don't get caught up in panic or the hysterical crap. Oh, and Turn Off The Fucking News "Shows". .to hell with those assholes.

.Just empower yourselves. Because there are no victims or saviors here.

Also - just saying, that this thing isn't 'out to get you' .. :0) ... Nothing in nature is ...it just doesn't care if you run across it is-all. Start There. Logically work a progression, and take steps to minimize your risks - on all sides, and limit your exposure.

Government isn't going to do that for you. Assume that there are just too-many that will jump ahead in government's consideration before they get to "taking care of you".

You have to take care of yourself.

Let movement on this be a distraction. Swim. Have at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom