Anyone sell all their tube amps?

I sold All of mine (H&K Switchblade, Mesa Mark IV, Triaxis and Single Recitifier, various 4x12s) back in 2009 after I got my first Axe-Fx Standard.

In a few years, I will buy tube amps. Just for decoration :)

The gentle warm lights of tubes in the corner of the dimly lighted living room will just invite me into a sweet nostalgia :)

It's funny you say that, I may pick up a Fender Princeton in the near future (week or so). I want it for the living room, "functional art".
It will go with the decor and just a great sounding amp.

All my tube amps are gone and I'm cool with that! Its just so much easier to get a great tone with Fractal gear than real tube amps.

My tube amps all had a sweet spot on the master volume where the tone was just right - but this almost never matched the volume appropriate for the situation. For my favorite amp, an old Marshall 2210, there was NEVER an situation where the appropriate volume was loud enough to get the amp where it really needed to be to sound its best. :p

With my Axe FX I sound better than I ever have and I never have to make compromises like that.

Sold 5
Kept the Matchless
But it is already for sale on Reverb.com
At first I wasn’t a huge fan of the Axe
But after a few Burgs, Leon, Cooper, and some great presets from Worship Tutorials n Moke
This thing rules!!!

I just sold my Lab Series L11 200 watt head to someone on the west coast (I'm in Iowa). It wasn't tube, but it had great sound shaping abilities for blues, rock, country, etc. I really haven't used it in years, anyway, so I'm not going to miss it, even though I bought it brand new 38 years ago. It was time for someone else to enjoy that fire-breathing monster!
I still have my II, AX8, and use my III, so I'm well covered.

Genuinely curious.... I've gone back and forth between analog and digital a few times and think I may be settled on digital. I just sold 3 of my 5 tube amps and all of my pedals, to both pay some bills and to get another III, and I don't regret it one bit.

It comes down to one question: what inspires you to PLAY MORE GUITAR? I realized that I was writing and playing the most guitar when I had the III. I think it comes down to convenience, which is a huge factor for me personally. I live in a small apartment, so unpacking and hooking up an amp, load box (headphones) and pedal board with a dozen cables just became a deterrent to be honest.

With the III, having so many pro-grade amp and effects tones with the flip of 1 switch, it almost feels like cheating.

The 2 amps I have left are amazing, but I guess I'll need to see how often I play them, to make a better decision. The GAS is tempting though, as there are a couple more guitars calling my name, which could easily be funded by selling these.

Been a Axe user since XL days. With the Axe 3 and latest firmware, i no longer have the need to lug around traditional tube amps and pedal boards. As a matter of fact, i have sold off all my tube amps and pedals. All i have left for gigs is this little black box that has never failed....

I'm on the verge of selling my limited edition JP2C right now. I picked up a Gemini 2 about six weeks ago but I'm not 100% thrilled with it, and I suspect it's partly because it's aimed at my shins, plus it's hard to tame the bass. I might replace it with a couple of wedges before I unload the amp to make sure I'll be completely happy.

Last week I was set on selling the amp, two days ago I played both for hours and told myself I couldn't part with it, and yesterday I was ready to sell it again... :rolleyes:

No and I'm not planning to. Yes, the Axe-FX III is convenient and it sounds great. However, I still like to utilize some of the unique behavior of 'the real deal' and I also like experimenting with mics and mic placement. No IR is going to replace that for me.

I got rid of all my tubes and cabs except for one of each. And I only kept the one because I got it dirt cheap, it’s resell value is next to nothing, and it has an excellent clean channel and a nice classic rock channel that is fun to play and a good reality check every once and a while. That said, it spends 99% of it time collecting dust. The III is just so great sounding and fun to explore it’s hard to get excited to play tubes anymore o_O

No and I'm not planning to. Yes, the Axe-FX III is convenient and it sounds great. However, I still like to utilize some of the unique behavior of 'the real deal' and I also like experimenting with mics and mic placement. No IR is going to replace that for me.

Except the ones you make.

I have except for 2, a 1965 Fender Bandmaster that I keep around due to its age and sentimental value. I also have an EVH 5150 2x12 combo that I had modified by Voodoo Amps. I would sell it but it weighs 80 pounds and I would probably lose money shipping it.

Sold 5
Kept the Matchless
But it is already for sale on Reverb.com
At first I wasn’t a huge fan of the Axe
But after a few Burgs, Leon, Cooper, and some great presets from Worship Tutorials n Moke
This thing rules!!!

the last 2 amps I have left are Matchless (HC30, Indy). I’m hanging on for now, but not sure how long I’ll last

Sold all in 2012. No regrets, though still I love the sounds I got from my mercury magnetic and G12H30 75 speaker equiped Deluxe Reverb, the last one I sold.

All you guys worried about shipping, why wouldnt you sell locally?
My mark V 90W was listed for 6 months or so before I could finally sell it locally. If I needed the money sooner, I might have attempted shipping, but that is such a PITA.

I have a Sunn Model T reissue. At some point I‘ll try to capture the sound of a big muff through that and my 1960a Marshall cab. At that point it will be time for ebay

Back
Top Bottom