American Woman tone on FM3

TimeBandit

Inspired
With the FM3 limited to a single amp block, is it possible to emulate or get close to the Herzog tone of American Woman? I looked at a few old posts one of which indicated that a tone close to the original could be achieved with a tube preamp into a Friedman HBE. That would require two amp blocks if I understand it correctly. Any one know if we can get close with the FM3 and a single amp block?

The Garnet Herzog was more or less a tweed Fender Champ circuit (one 12AX7, one 6V6) with a built-in dummy load resistor and some signal padding on the output to prevent it from killing the amp input. Not sure which tube drive would get close to that, as it also includes a plate transformer running pretty hard, and the magnetic signal coupling strangeness that goes with it.

Thanks all. I just need to get in the ballpark. I realize it won't be perfect and not the same as on my III with multiple amp blocks. I'm sure it'll be sufficient for my cover band needs :)

Pretty easy to get in the ballpark just slamming any amp with a drive block that's jacked up to the nines.

This is Tube Drive 4-Knob into a 5F8 Tweed model. Factory preset, just turned off the tremolo and changed the drive block to that model and hit the front of the amp hard. No gate, so noisy. :)

With the FM3 limited to a single amp block, is it possible to emulate or get close to the Herzog tone of American Woman? I looked at a few old posts one of which indicated that a tone close to the original could be achieved with a tube preamp into a Friedman HBE. That would require two amp blocks if I understand it correctly. Any one know if we can get close with the FM3 and a single amp block?
If my memory serves me correct this "tone" can be achieved with the neck pick and a fuzz pedal.

Pretty easy to get in the ballpark just slamming any amp with a drive block that's jacked up to the nines.

This is Tube Drive 4-Knob into a 5F8 Tweed model. Factory preset, just turned off the tremolo and changed the drive block to that model and hit the front of the amp hard. No gate, so noisy. :)

Nice! You even got the pseudo sine wave thing that happens on the original recording.

Back
Top Bottom