How’s Win 10 treating you?

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
Hey @FractalAudio (Cliff),
Hows Windows 10 treating you?
As I was also forced to update around the same time you did, I’d be interested in your thoughts.
mine? Well I’m adjusting - after setting up the music pc as everyone recommends on the intermene, and the development pc basically stock, it,s actually not too bad besides adds and shit popping up occasionally.
thanks
pauly

Last edited:
I had to switch from Win 7 since upgrading to UAD Thunderbolt Apollo. I was scarred but since it's an offline machine (except for authorizing PI and updating) I don't see any issues. Stable (no games, add-ons or app) and fast (SSD)

I've been on W10 since it was released and love it, have it on everything with great success.

I might be getting a new mobo to take advantage of UAD Thunderbolt- which I have but don't use. My Apollo Quad has the card but I use it firewire

FWIW, $0.0000 I know, before this thread it simply never occurred to me to hate Win 10. For perspective, I'm a long-time web dev, not a casual user. I got used to the differences pretty quickly.

I prefer the Win 10 start menu, it handles lots of items much better than the Win 7 version. I do wish you could set the default icon size to small, but it's easy to place things and adjust them.

Re "where is everything" in control panel-land, at work there's a dev wiki, full of inside info you might want to know if you're working on a section of code you've never seen before, for instance. The outgoing lead dev told me that having it as a wiki taught him that searchability was much more important than organization. To find something by its place in some hierarchy or taxonomy, you have to know where everything is, where to search, you just need some key words or phrases. That's why Google works so well for so many people. In the Win 10 start menu, I just click the button, type, and I'm there.

It sucks. Worse OS since ME. I don't buy the search excuse. It's just that: an excuse for not organizing things properly in the first place. And how do you search for something if you don't even know what to call it? The control panel I was looking for I'm still not sure what it's called. And every other update breaks the search anyways.

And... ADS!!!! F*cking ads in paid software. What greedy pricks... "Hey, we see you're using the snip tool. Well guess what, we're taking it away but you can buy a new version from our store". "Freecell, oh you like that game, great! Here's 30 seconds of advertisements before you can play another round. Oh, you want to play again? You have to buy a subscription".

Some other nice "touches": MS Word doesn't remember window settings. Close the program and the next time you open the document the window size is different. Something in the OS is causing a 1/2 second lag with OrCad. When I click on a component or net it doesn't register for about 1/2 second which gives the impression the click didn't take. Just long enough to be really irritating.

Every now and then it just refuses to find our NAS so I have to reboot. Never had that problem on Win7.

Everything, EVERYTHING, feels like a step backwards and just a way to extract more money out of their customers. It also feels "lazy". Like no one really cares and the upper management making the decisions only cares about money. It feels like it was designed by committee and then subcontracted to the lowest bidder. So nothing really works as well as it could and there's no continuity.

It sucks.

Everything, EVERYTHING, feels like a step backwards and just a way to extract more money out of their customers. It also feels "lazy". Like no one really cares and the upper management making the decisions only cares about money. It feels like it was designed by committee and then subcontracted to the lowest bidder. So nothing really works as well as it could and there's no continuity.
This resumes W10 quite well...

It sucks. Worse OS since ME.
I'm guessing you never used Windows 8? ;)

I personally don't have many complaints about Win 10 and I use it all day long for work.

That said, it's in a large Enterprise (50k+ desktop users) where a lot of work goes into presenting a unified solution, so I don't know what tweaks have been done on my behalf.

My home laptop is Win 10, too. Started with Win 8... And 10 is a vast improvement.

I know it isn't feasible for many engineering tools, but I never read a truer statement than when a friend wrote to me that Mac OS 10.6 was the true heir to Windows 7. It took me a few years to adapt, and I still run Parallels for "Media Monkey" but I cannot imagine ever handling my work and life in Windows 10. It's like a parody of an operating system.

Cliff, I wonder if your engineering tools would work on a virtualized Win7 machine. You could keep it completely disconnected from the outside world and not need to worry about security.

Well, I have zero issues with Win Pro 10x64. I hung onto win 8.1 as long as I could. I also would have stayed with Win 7 if they kept it going.
I resisted for a long time. But finally gave in. I am a retired MS Cert Tech, which actually means absolutely nothing in the real world.
But I run things from Photoshop to Canvas X16 (technical drawing app) to shadow of the tomb Raider and Cakewalk and a zillion VSTS.
I have no issues at all. Never had a virus, never seen an ad.
So I guess different strokes for different folks.
But Win 7x64 was my fav.

One thing I LOVE immensely is the ability to relocate your my documents folder to a different drive, in case you have to a format and re-install in the future. XP could also do this but Win7 ripped that function out. Instead it worked with those damn libraries, so you could add a folder called my documents on a different drive, but the old one on the system drive would continue to exist. And sometimes shit would still download or get installed there. Win10 brought the old XP relocation function back, for which I'm immensely grateful. Other then that Win7 was better in a lot of ways, just like Win XP is still my favorite MS OS to this very day.

Only issue I’ve had is that my interface randomly goes bananas and disconnects and reconnects, then it’ll be fine for a few weeks and then back to the shenanigans.

Always hard with change, but yes, after a decade+ vetting and refining an interface to just change for changes sake is beyond dumb.

I feel like the Windows 10 debate is like the tubes vs Axe-Fx or the amp in the room debate. Most of the Windows XP/7, tube and amp in the room users are talking with their backs to us. Please turn around and stop talking out of your ass! It's clear some people don't like change or adapting to new things. Before complaining, please learn the ins and outs of what you're complaining about. Yes, sometimes you may have to make tweaks and customization.

I've never understood the Windows 7 vs 10 Start menu argument. Has anyone who doesn't like the Windows 10 Start menu actually watched a YouTube video about how it works? What's so hard about clicking on the start menu and not clicking on anything else and just start typing what you're looking for? It finds what you're looking for after just a few characters. Also, that feature works in Windows 7 and 10. I find it time consuming having to click through all the Windows 7 Start menu tiers. Also, on the Windows 10 Start Menu you can click on any of the character headings to open a menu to quickly go to the letter you want.

+ Example 1: (Fastest way to use the Windows 10 Start Menu)
++ Click the Start menu and don't click anything else and just start typing: axe
++ Axe-Edit and Axe-Edit III are at the top of the menu
++ You can either hit your ENTER key to open the top selected app or use the down arrow key to select a different app and press ENTER or click on the app you want to open
++ Try the same thing above but type: fra
+++ Fractal-Bot is at the top of the menu
++ Try the same thing above but type: cab
+++ Cab-Lab is at the top of the menu

+ Example 2:
++ Click the Start menu, click the first letter heading like "A", click the letter "F" from the list, click on Fractal Audio, Now you can click to open Axe-Edit, Axe-Edit III, Cab-Lab, Fractal-Bot

Some of the issues people have with Windows 10 is because of the extra security but 99% of them can be disabled and made less secure like Windows XP and Windows 7. Also, for people who bought a new PC with Windows 10 64bit, a lot of older hardware, software and drivers don't work because they were made for 32bit. In that case, install Windows 10 32bit. Windows XP 64bit and Windows 7 64bit also had this same issue.

I probably won't have time today but I'm going to share my Windows 10 tweaks, so maybe some of you struggling with Windows 10 will feel more comfortable using it. Oh and the old saying still stands, if at first you don't succeed, RTFM!!! or RTFHelp Files, Search YouTube or go to the Companies support page ;)

Liked this quote from that post:

"Only in software, it’s fine if a program runs at 1% or even 0.01% of the possible performance. Everybody just seems to be ok with it. People are often even proud about how inefficient it is, as in “why should we worry, computers are fast enough”:"

For years, I've said: Intel builds faster processors; Microsoft finds new ways to waste them.

What's so hard about clicking on the start menu and not clicking on anything else and just start typing what you're looking for?
Windows is visual... Many people are looking for an app icon and may not know the name.

Many Windows admins and power users don't bother with control panel when they can just start the applet or snap-in for a particular thing... But you have to know the actual command name to do that.

Back
Top Bottom