Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 12.00 Public Beta

Everyone's favourite bearded buddy from down under has done a little vid demoing the new features.

Thanks for doing these Leon, they really do help us hear what Cliff and the team have added

Strangely, I had just figured out the dotted 8th note thing...but it’s a great tip at 12:30 ish.

FW: 12.00 b2
Edit: 1.04.02 rc1

Communication between AXE-FX III and Axe Edit with FC-12 attached ist VERY slow.
Refresh definitions after new FW takes 15 minutes (!) - literally.

Communication between AXE-FX III and Axe Edit without FC attached runs at normal speed
Refresh definitions after new FW takes ca. 90 sec.

Communication between AXE-FX III and Axe Edit with FC-12 attached ist VERY slow.

Communication between AXE-FX III and Axe Edit without FC attached runs at normal speed
It's a known problem, disconnect fc12

Yes I do know that amigo! Which is why I wrote this for the newcomers - my advocacy is that it is a safer move for a newbie to not update until the final public version is on the main Fractal website as a final public beta.

There is a time lag but one can be generally certain that is the final version at that point it makes it’s way there.

This is all in the spirit of trying to help our new friends here, while pros and vets like you need not wait for that development! Cheers!
Ah, good point.

In fact, all good points in your post :)

Super tempting given the updates/upgrades, I want to try the beta but my patience is so not there to tinker with drivers and plug this/unplug that at the moment. Think I'll wait for 12.0 final.

Update fractal bot first, update axe edit next, back up your presets if you care, then plug in and update the FW. It's stable, just don't use a foot controller for now.

What FC FW version? Im on 1.10, but might roll back to 1.09 as it sounds like the issue was caused by new FC code added recently.

I always wait for the final release while jealously watching people like Leon post about all the new goodies. 😃
If I have a gig, I stay with what is working at the present time. But as soon as the gig is over, I update beta or no beta.
So far, I have never experienced any drastic problems. And if I do, I can always go back to the previous official release.
And it is good to be able to play with the new enhancements, instead of listening and watching how great they are. :)

Update fractal bot first, update axe edit next, back up your presets if you care, then plug in and update the FW. It's stable, just don't use a foot controller for now.

I think that you can use a foot controller as long as Axe Edit is not active and connected to your AxeFX3. My controller works just fine until I open Axe Edit. Cliff mentioned in another post that it appears that Axe Edit requires an update to be compatible with the new communication protocol between AxeFX3 and FC-6/FC-12. Once Axe Edit is updated then slowness issue when FC is connected and Axe Edit is open should resolve.

I think that you can use a foot controller as long as Axe Edit is not active and connected to your AxeFX3. My controller works just fine until I open Axe Edit. Cliff mentioned in another post that it appears that Axe Edit requires an update to be compatible with the new communication protocol between AxeFX3 and FC-6/FC-12. Once Axe Edit is updated then slowness issue when FC is connected and Axe Edit is open should resolve.
I think Cliff has indicated that this is not an Axe-Edit issue, but rather an issue with the FC code in FW 12 beta. The update to watch for will be the next FW revision, not a new version of Axe-Edit, unless I’m reading that wrong.

FC-6 is working fine with Axe-edit open ...newest version of all the firmware except the FC-6 is still one version back.

While you're correct that firmware final versions are typically released on the forum first, his advice is sound and pretty clear- If you want to avoid potential problems with firmware, use the current version found on Fractal's website.

In this case, it's a matter of semantics as to what PUBLIC means. @austinbuddy seems to be using PUBLIC as the version Fractal deems the most stable and is therefore posted to the website.

Yes!

Also, look at the firmware file nomenclature. The public Beta releases have a "b" or the word "beta" in the .syx file name.

The final public ones just have a "p" in the file name, no "b" or "beta".

I get that anything on the forum is technically "public" but there is a delineation between "public beta (#)" and "public final."

Just suggesting, er recommending, er, highly encouraging the newcomers less familiar with the Axe-Fx III and this public beta post and testing process to only use the known final versions found on the main website, thus sparing Fractal support staff and others time when they run into trouble.

You pros should use a public beta and pound on it and report stuff here. Cliff is amazing and he fixes stuff fast!

I just loaded it up myself to test it, and am entranced by the additional flangers and phasers...very cool stuff!

Sorry if someone has already mentioned this. The thread is getting too long to read every entry.
I've noticed that as I'm scrolling through the new phase types, the mix level is different between them, and as high as 65%. Is this expected or a display issue with edit?

Sorry if someone has already mentioned this. The thread is getting too long to read every entry.
I've noticed that as I'm scrolling through the new phase types, the mix level is different between them, and as high as 65%. Is this expected or a display issue with edit?
Expected. Real phaser pedals never achieve exactly 50%. In my testing I found that a higher mix can sound better, especially when using feedback.

Back
Top Bottom