Cloning the Eventide H9 and beyond. Chapter 1: Crystals Algorithm

Piing

Axe-Master
H9_AxeFX.jpg

The structure of the H9 user interface is simple. It consists of Algorithms and Presets. An algorithm is a block that contains few combined effects e.g.: delay and modulator, or Compressor and Equalizer. The algorithms are divided in 5 categories: TimeFactor, ModFactor, PitchFactor, Space and H9. A preset is where you store the settings of the algorithm. A preset can only contain one single algorithm.

Therefore, if we want to emulate one H9 preset/algorithm at the Axe-FX we will need two or three blocks. With the advantage that at the Axe-FX we can combine them freely and expand them beyond the capabilities of a single H9 preset/algorithm.

This is how the "Crystals" Algorithm (from the PicthFactor category) looks at the H9 Editor. The settings correspond to the "Classic Crystals" preset:
Classic Crystals.png

To clone that into the Axe-FX we need two blocks: Pitch (Crystal Echoes) with the Mix 100% wet, and a Reverb in series with the pitch. Both running in parallel with the dry signal.
2020-01-23 16_46_01-Axe-Edit III.png
(The Out2 and In 4 blocks are for connecting the external Eventide H9 Max and make A/B comparisons)

This is the Pitch block parameter correspondence between the H9 and the Axe-FX:

• PITCH MIX A+B = Level 1 & Level 2
  • PITCH A = Shift 1 + Detune 1
  • PITCH B = Shift 2 + Detune 2
  • REV DELAY A = Splice 1
  • REV DELAY B = Splice 2
  • FEEDBACK A = Feedback 1
  • FEEDBACK B = Feedback 2
The Axe-FX Crystal Echoes pitch block has extra parameters: independent Panning Control for the two voices (at the H9 the pan is fixed), Crossfade Control and Direction.

When copying the H9 Pitch parameters at the Axe-FX, without the reverb, both the H9 and the Axe-FX sound identical

But when adding the Reverb at the Axe-FX, it surpasses the H9. The H9 has good reverb algorithms, but the reverb that they include as a secondary effect in other algorithms is quite normal, due to the limited CPU power. Select the Ice Castle or any other HQ reverb at the Axe-FX, and the H9 is eclipsed by the Fractal Sun.

I attach a preset with four scenes that correspond to the following H9 factory presets:

1. Classic Crystals
  2. Seagulls
  3. Voice on Ice
  4. Reverse Detune
If you want to further explore other H9 Factory or User Presets you can install the H9 Control software, open it offline (the Factory Presets are included with the software) and translate the parameters.

Attachments

• H9 Crystals.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 435
Last edited:
Thanks for doing this!

Any chance of doing the "black hole" preset from the Space (or Space ones in general)?

I will try it when I have some time.

This is how it looks:
Blackhole.png

BlackHole - [BKHOLE]

Larger than the Hall or Room, BlackHole is an Eventide H8000 classic capable of cathedral-type spaces to out-of-this-world soundscapes. This H9 edition of BlackHole has two decay modes (forward and inverse) and feedback around the entire reverb structure that extends the Blackhole sound from huge to infinite. The standard [SIZE] and [GRVITY] sounds are epic, but try [PREDLY] and [FEEDBK] to take the algorithm to the next level. Try not to get sucked in.

Mix - [MIX] : wet/dry mixer, 100% is all wet signal

'Gravity' Mode Select - [INVGRV] : inverse decay mode of a really big reverb. [GRVITY]: regular decay mode of a really big reverb

Size - [SIZE] : size of the reverb

Delay - [PREDLY] : pre-delay time in milliseconds or note-based in tempo mode

Low Band Shelving Level - [LO-LVL] : post reverb shelving boost/cut of low frequencies with cut-off at 350 Hz

High Band Shelving Level - [HI-LVL] : post reverb shelving boost/cut of high frequencies with cutoff at 2000 Hz

Modulation Depth - [M-DPTH] : the modulation depth

Modulation Rate - [M-RATE] : the modulation rate

Feedback - [FEEDBK] : feedback around the entire reverb structure for even larger sounds

Resonance - [RESNCE] : resonance of the two shelving filters. Affects sound unless [LO-LVL] and [HI-LVL] are both set to 0

This is very cool stuff! impressive! I will be watching this thread - thanks for taking the initiative, @Ping!

Thanks for doing this!

Any chance of doing the "black hole" preset from the Space (or Space ones in general)?

Got it!! This one was easy :cool:

I've found this AX8 block - Gracias @simeon!! - and I've converted it to Axe-FX III with FracTool - Gracias @AlGrenadine -

That PlexDelay block is very similar to the "BlackHole" factory preset. It differs because it has more depth. The Axe-FX has individual pan control for each individual delay, and that allows more refined adjustments

I attach the converted block

edit:
Add a LFO modifier to the Modulation Depth (under Mod+Dyn page). Adjust the LFO parameters to taste, and prepare yourself to be transported through the black hole into another dimension

Attachments

• Black Hole_(AxeFx III)-Plex Delay 1.blk
    1.1 KB · Views: 368
I used the H9 a lot when we recorded our last album (right before I got my first Fractal unit) and there's some stunning sounds lurking within. One of my favourites is the Undulator algorithm which is pretty tricky to emulate. Here's my take (exported on the most recent beta FW).

Attachments

• LT Outback.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 305
These presets should be fun to play! Thanks @Piing for starting this thread! Amazing what the Axe 3 can do in the hands of talented people.

PS. I think it would be awesome if Fractal added an easy way to create and share group blocks for more complex multi block effects like those from the H9 and Strymon, etc.

These presets should be fun to play! Thanks @Piing for starting this thread! Amazing what the Axe 3 can do in the hands of talented people.

PS. I think it would be awesome if Fractal added an easy way to create and share group blocks for more complex multi block effects like those from the H9 and Strymon, etc.

encapsulation with the ability to promote and rename parameters... that would be fantastic

If you guys keep this up I may wind up selling my H9 Max after all :) ... Its one of the few pedals that I still have left after switching to Fractal 2+ years ago. Oh ...This reminds me...... its time to wipe the dust off my Mesa Boogie V:25 amp and cab along with my shrinking pedal board

I used the H9 a lot when we recorded our last album (right before I got my first Fractal unit) and there's some stunning sounds lurking within. One of my favourites is the Undulator algorithm which is pretty tricky to emulate. Here's my take (exported on the most recent beta FW).

Is it bad that after watching so many of your videos, I read all your comments in your voice?

Had a chance to play with these last night for quite a while. Very well done! I am as happy to play with these as I was to update to the 12 beta! Thank you @Piing

Back
Top Bottom