Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.02 Public Beta #5 (Beta_4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, Windows 10 is a steaming pile of crap.

1. Performing a search in Explorer works once then the search box either turns gray or simply doesn't allow text entry. You have to restart the app. Apparently this has been broken since November!!!!
2. No consistency among settings stuff. It's all over the place and some of it is the new "minimalist" look and some of it is the old Windows style.
3. Settings are scattered seemingly randomly. To uninstall (which I've had to do dozens of times because half my programs won't install right) you have to click "Apps and Features" and then find the "Programs and Features" link. Stupid.
4. Many of my most important programs simply won't install. Matlab, Orcad, etc. License managers won't run and throw bizarre errors. Strange errors about "folder ownership".
5. To move a window you have to just sort of guess where to grab it. There's an area at the top but it's not delineated in any way so if you click too far down it won't grab.
6. The one pixel border around windows makes it really hard to navigate. Sometimes I'll think I'm in another window because two windows are on top of one another and look like one.
7. The ribbon bar... oh the ribbon bar. Who thought that was a good idea?
8. The File button... oh the File button. Who though that was a good idea? If I want to save a file I hit the File button and a completely different UI is displayed and the email/file etc. I want to save isn't even visible.
9. Z-ordering is still broken and seems worse then Windows 7.
10. The Start menu. Wow. Really?
Cliff is Win10 beta tester now.

1. Performing a search in Explorer works once then the search box either turns gray or simply doesn't allow text entry. You have to restart the app. Apparently this has been broken since November!!!!
2. No consistency among settings stuff. It's all over the place and some of it is the new "minimalist" look and some of it is the old Windows style.
3. Settings are scattered seemingly randomly. To uninstall (which I've had to do dozens of times because half my programs won't install right) you have to click "Apps and Features" and then find the "Programs and Features" link. Stupid.
4. Many of my most important programs simply won't install. Matlab, Orcad, etc. License managers won't run and throw bizarre errors. Strange errors about "folder ownership".
5. To move a window you have to just sort of guess where to grab it. There's an area at the top but it's not delineated in any way so if you click too far down it won't grab.
6. The one pixel border around windows makes it really hard to navigate. Sometimes I'll think I'm in another window because two windows are on top of one another and look like one.
8. The File button... oh the File button. Who though that was a good idea? If I want to save a file I hit the File button and a completely different UI is displayed and the email/file etc. I want to save isn't even visible.
This sums up my Win10 experience to a T, the settings and UI inconsistencies are the most infuriating for me. The mix of metro and legacy 1st party apps just seems sloppy. I'm glad I'm able to do my dev work on a Mac now that I'm no longer in .NET, though I can't say upgrading to Catalina has been without its share of problems.

3. Press the Windows key and start typing what you need. I have no idea where they've moved anything (or even what they've moved) because hunting with the mouse was the slow way anyway. Hit Windows and type "add". Very good chance that "Add or remove programs" will be your best match.
4. What version of OrCAD? If on 16.x or earlier you need to download the license manager separately. 17.2 should work fine out of the box.
10. The most useful thing about the start menu for at least 3 releases now is the search function already mentioned. I used to hate when they moved things or changed menu navigation schemes. But after XP to 7 (or god forbid Vista) drove me nuts I started learning keyboard shortcuts and other UI functions. 7 to 10 didn't bother me at all because I was already past navigating anywhere via mouse driven menus. Typing the function I want is way quicker even if I know where something is.

3. Press the Windows key and start typing what you need. I have no idea where they've moved anything (or even what they've moved) because hunting with the mouse was the slow way anyway. Hit Windows and type "add". Very good chance that "Add or remove programs" will be your best match.
4. What version of OrCAD? If on 16.x or earlier you need to download the license manager separately. 17.2 should work fine out of the box.
10. The most useful thing about the start menu for at least 3 releases now is the search function already mentioned. I used to hate when they moved things or changed menu navigation schemes. But after XP to 7 (or god forbid Vista) drove me nuts I started learning keyboard shortcuts and other UI functions. 7 to 10 didn't bother me at all because I was already past navigating anywhere via mouse driven menus. Typing the function I want is way quicker even if I know where something is.
17.2. License manager fails to start.

Search tip:

I can't use the Explorer search either. To perform a much faster, much more complete and reliable search, open the command prompt and go do the directory you want, then type:

dir /s [search string]

examples:
dir /s "*.zip" - find all files with names ending in ".zip"

4. That's crazy. Win 10 seems to be a crap shoot for people. Was this a pre-built machine or did you put it together yourself? In a perfect world it wouldn't matter. I do tech support for a living and almost never see this kind of stuff but again, Windows is so consistently inconsistent it's crazy. For me the worst part is the two different control panels with vastly different UI's and how some features are only accessible from the older control panel programs. WTF.

Because it's far better than a mac, where programs don't work anymore once a macos update is released
Yeah, that never happens on Windows LAMO!!
Oh, and I'm running an older Mac OS, no longer supported right now & have no problem connecting to the internet. My roommate has an even older Mac running an even older OS. No problem connecting to the internet. That's beyond pathetic Microshaft just disables Win 7's ability to connect to the internet!

Last edited:
Yeah, that never happens on Windows LAMO!!
Oh, and I'm running an older Mac OS, no longer supported right now & have no problem connecting to the internet. My roommate has an even older Mac running an even older OS. No problem connecting to the internet. That's beyond pathetic Microshaft just disables Win 7's ability to connect to the internet!

Huh? Windows 7 can still connect to the Internet. It's just no longer supported so no more security fixes. IOW, your risk goes up.

Huh? Windows 7 can still connect to the Internet. It's just no longer supported so no more security fixes. IOW, your risk goes up.
I thought I saw Cliff post he gets a blue screen when connecting to the internet. Maybe it was someone else. I get that there are no more security updates as I am in that same boat.

I prefer Windows 10 to 7 quite a bit but I only use Windows for work. At home I switched to a Mac. I like the search function using the Windows key. Ever since I got Quicksilver about 15 years ago I've been all about using search to quick launch programs, and having that integrated in the OS is just a nice feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom