Factory Presets

Like I said - YMMV. Maybe you have some better suggestions? He asked, I checked, made some changes and offered some suggestions. If those don’t work for him, maybe you have something to offer that will help him out. That would be nice.

Like I said - YMMV. Maybe you have some better suggestions? He asked, I checked, made some changes and offered some suggestions. If those don’t work for him, maybe you have something to offer that will help him out. That would be nice.
We are simply trying to point out that the change you made doesn't affect the tone.

People often turn up the volume and things sound "better"... Especially if you're playing quietly.

I like the metaphor that has been used here oft enough: “You wouldn’t walk into a music store and plug your guitar into the demo amplifier and leave all the controls at the settings of the previous user left them at; would you?”

Dial in what you like and move on.

If you are struggling to get a particular tone, post a sample of what you like, and folks will help you get there. This group can be extraordinarily helpful even iteratively with your involvement/leadership/reciprocity.

As unixguy said, historically speaking from fact, changing level doesn’t change tone at all unless the gear you’re playing into responds at the higher volume, or just the typical FM curve is happening and things sound better when louder.

The help is appreciated, but if it’s not an accurate description, it’s better to say that than let something wrong be shared among many people. That’s all.

Sorry for the delayed response, but thanks to everyone for all the help. I played around with IRs and typically find myself doing the 57 with a 121 mix as that sounds best on nearly everything I play. I've made some progress but I'm still tweaking and learning. I find I'm having to run 2 amps together to get the tones I'm searching for in my head. I wouldn't say I'm happy with the tones I've come up with so far but it's slowely progressing. The bass and muddiness is still the hardest for me to dial out.

The learning curve is definetly steep with this thing and I find the approach to using it is completely different than one you would take with a traditional amp.

Sorry for the delayed response, but thanks to everyone for all the help. I played around with IRs and typically find myself doing the 57 with a 121 mix as that sounds best on nearly everything I play. I've made some progress but I'm still tweaking and learning. I find I'm having to run 2 amps together to get the tones I'm searching for in my head. I wouldn't say I'm happy with the tones I've come up with so far but it's slowely progressing. The bass and muddiness is still the hardest for me to dial out.

The learning curve is definetly steep with this thing and I find the approach to using it is completely different than one you would take with a traditional amp.
That’s strange. I just put an amp and cab in the preset and it’s nearly ready to go. Reduce bass using the low cut in the cab or amp block. Or the GEQ in the amp block.

How do the Recto presets (#14-Recto 1 and #15-Recto 2) in this video sound when you listen to them compared to when you play them?
(Recto 1 @ 2:25, Recto 2 @ 2:58)

How do the Recto presets (#14-Recto 1 and #15-Recto 2) in this video sound when you listen to them compared to when you play them?
(Recto 1 @ 2:25, Recto 2 @ 2:58)

They sound better than what I experience in person. Those presets on ny axe sound infinitly more muffled and less gainy. I'm a big fan of Leon Todd's tone videos and I find when I download his presets off axechange, I'm hearing it differently than what I heard via youtube. But I realize YouTube clips aren't a great representation of the sound.

They sound better than what I experience in person. Those presets on ny axe sound infinitly more muffled and less gainy. I'm a big fan of Leon Todd's tone videos and I find when I download his presets off axechange, I'm hearing it differently than what I heard via youtube. But I realize YouTube clips aren't a great representation of the sound.
I use studio monitors with my Axe III and computer and am able to replicate practically the same tones heard in the video. If the audio in a video is recorded direct, which it appears this one is, there usually isn't that much difference in tone when using the same system to listen to videos and play through the Axe III.

What are you using to listen to music on your computer? Are you able to connect your Axe III to this system? Trying to troubleshoot the cause of the difference you're hearing; if it's your Axe or your FRFR monitor.

I use studio monitors with my Axe III and computer and am able to replicate practically the same tones heard in the video. If the audio in a video is recorded direct, which it appears this one is, there usually isn't that much difference in tone when using the same system to listen to videos and play through the Axe III.

What are you using to listen to music on your computer? Are you able to connect your Axe III to this system? Trying to troubleshoot the cause of the difference you're hearing; if it's your Axe or your FRFR monitor.
I've ran my axe through 3 different types of speakers. My Friedman FRFR, a Bose L1 p.a. and my buddies studio monitors, all of which sound like varying degrees of mud to me. Perhaps it's just in my head, perhaps I need to play at loud volumes (which kind of defeats the purpose of why I bought this thing in the first place). I used to own a Diezel Vh4 which I got rid of because I was tired of having to crank her up to push the tubes.

I've ran my axe through 3 different types of speakers. My Friedman FRFR, a Bose L1 p.a. and my buddies studio monitors, all of which sound like varying degrees of mud to me. Perhaps it's just in my head, perhaps I need to play at loud volumes (which kind of defeats the purpose of why I bought this thing in the first place). I used to own a Diezel Vh4 which I got rid of because I was tired of having to crank her up to push the tubes.
and that VH4 didn't sound like mud? what speakers/cab did you use?

have you tried changing the IRs in the Cab block? maybe something like a 8" speaker or 10" speaker would sound better to you? have you only tried 4x12 IRs? those are boomy by nature.

I’ve found a lot of these same issues with the OP. The high-gain stock presets are rarely usable until I either change an IR or heavily tweak them. I often just make a new preset instead of tweaking an existing one. I just figure that whoever made them was using a very different guitar/pickup than what I use or has different tastes.

I’m using a pair of Yamaha HS-5’s as my monitors, I’ve tried both; coming directly out of the III into the Yamaha‘s and also plugging the III into a small mixer then going to the Yamaha’s, there wasn’t really any change in the sound. I’ve been using those speakers for a few years now and don’t have any discrepancies with the music I listen to on them or when I’m mixing my own stuff. Actually, I’ve gotten my room figured out to the point my mixes sound pretty much the same in there as they do anywhere else, so I definitely know what I’m listening for with the speakers.

It’s not a huge deal to me as I’ve never used stock presets with anything. I’ve gotten tones I’m more than happy with from building them ground up. I haven’t had to go to the same lengths the OP has, generally just a drive/amp/cab gets me the overall tone I’m looking for and I add whatever goodies to it depending on what I’ll use it for. IR’s are the biggest factor In all of this stuff, as far as I’ve experienced. I’ve also been able to solve 95% of my ‘muddy’ issues with the low pass knob in the Cab block.

Back
Top Bottom