Marshall JCM 900's and 2000's - Why are these never emulated in modelers?

Well I have to imagine Cliff would model it if you sent it to him...and/or if there were a schematic.
It takes more than a schematic to do what Cliff does. He models amps based on measurements he takes of every component (seriously - every diode, resistor, tube, follower) of a representative example of each amp to elucidate the specific characteristics that make an amp interesting or unique. Chances are he’s already seen enough to know what is and isn’t worth doing.

Doesn't the Jubilee also have Diode clipping?
Funny that this one sought after and not the 2205/2210...
Yes the Jubilee's also used diode clipping. The Jubilee had the push/pull switching and is a little more flexible. Also had the nice chrome panel. Maybe thats why they are more sought after. They are voiced differently than the 800s as well.

It takes more than a schematic to do what Cliff does. He models amps based on measurements he takes of every component (seriously - every diode, resistor, tube, follower) of a representative example of each amp to elucidate the specific characteristics that make an amp interesting or unique. Chances are he’s already seen enough to know what is and isn’t worth doing.
Would be cool to get @York Audio's "'97 JCM 2000 DSL with a Mercury Magnetics OT and a choke installed" in Cliff's hands... Wrong continents though, methinks.

I have a 2500 JCM900 and a JCM2000 DSL100.

Both are really good amps and great at what they do.

Would be cool to get @York Audio's "'97 JCM 2000 DSL with a Mercury Magnetics OT and a choke installed" in Cliff's hands... Wrong continents though, methinks.
I would love that. That amp is like a Marshall for Mesa lovers. I don’t know if I could find an accurate schematic, and I wouldn’t know where the choke is installed, but I’d happily send it to Cliff if he ever wanted a great version of that amp to model.

I would love that. That amp is like a Marshall for Mesa lovers. I don’t know if I could find an accurate schematic, and I wouldn’t know where the choke is installed, but I’d happily send it to Cliff if he ever wanted a great version of that amp to model.
Cool, ping him and suggest it!

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone has a JCM200 100 watt IR. I love my JCM's (Have the 50 and 100 watt). These amps were the first amps I was able to find my "tone" with. Would love to have it in the Axe FX III. I can get close, but not quite there with other amps in the line up. There is something about the low end that the JCM does really well.

If you can get close, you can likely tone capture and close the remaining gap.

If you can get close, you can likely tone capture and close the remaining gap.
Tone capture is way over my head at this point and I don't have a good room to do it in as well.

That might not be something that's within everyone's budget though.

If I wanted my personal sound captured, I'd find an engineer and a place to do so within whatever budget I'd set. Shouldn't need to spend all day I'd imagine.

I’ve had great experiences with the DSL’s but those 900’s...man....I’m not sure I’ve ever hated a guitar head as much as I hate those things.

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone has a JCM200 100 watt IR. I love my JCM's (Have the 50 and 100 watt). These amps were the first amps I was able to find my "tone" with. Would love to have it in the Axe FX III. I can get close, but not quite there with other amps in the line up. There is something about the low end that the JCM does really well.
I just tried matching my JCM 2000 DSL100 a couple days ago. If I remember correctly, try the Friedman BE C45 model, turn the Sat switch ON (I think), Depth around 7.25, and Master volume around 4.4. Go to the amp’s preamp page and turn the preamp high cut up to 16k (Cliff’s recommendation based on Marshall values) to get the top end air the DSL has.

That got me really close to my 100w head. The 50w is a different animal, and I haven’t done that one yet.

I just tried matching my JCM 2000 DSL100 a couple days ago. If I remember correctly, try the Friedman BE C45 model, turn the Sat switch ON (I think), Depth around 7.25, and Master volume around 4.4. Go to the amp’s preamp page and turn the preamp high cut up to 16k (Cliff’s recommendation based on Marshall values) to get the top end air the DSL has.

That got me really close to my 100w head. The 50w is a different animal, and I haven’t done that one yet.

I was just playing around with the C45 yesterday. Get's really close. This might hold me over.

I have never played a JVM but was surprised how good it sounded on the FM3. It's a great hot rodded Marshall tone.

Finding an old thread, but the JCM900 2100 is the version to model if this is ever to be considered.
Has a very nice warmth to it. Popular amp used a lot in mid 90s death metal the way they fed those keeley-modded TS9's into them, or even after a Proco Rat for thicker stacking like Trey Azagthoth of Morbid angel always did from his Rack Rat R2DU (with one side of the two built in rats he had modified and using either or even double stacking them into the amp with each module on low to moderate gain and the amp dialed to about the same.
900-2100 was an unbelievable warm sound but still stayed very clear and focused. I will never forget when I was in the presence of such amps. I may try to pick one up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom