Good clean preset?

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
I have some very good lead tones, excellent crunch and rhythm tones, and lots of ambiant cleans, but I'm now in need of a solid, punchy clean that cuts through (with a loud bass player, a drummer, and an acoustic-electric rhythm player). This clean tone is to be used for chords, arpeggios, and leads. My problem is that everything I've tried sounds too thin. I'm using a Tom Anderson drop top, neck pickup.

Does anyone have some really good clean tones to share? My next stop is in Axe-change, but I don't know what I'm going to find.

Thanks!

I'd concentrate on trying out different cabinets. You can get some extra girth to the tone by using a null microphone and adding in some proximity.

try the
SUPER VERB VIB
add a little compression. It can start to get gainy if your pickups are high output, but stays clean with my lower output humbuckers and single coils. It gives me a very thick, rich clean... I love it.

Last edited:
My key to a great and still cutting clean tone is to balance pre-amp dynamics and output compression.
This way I can play softly and the amp stays clean and I am still loud enough to be heard.
When I dig in the amp breaks up but doesn´t get too loud.

My favorite amp for clean is the Hiwatt

I use the Shiver Clean with the master up pretty high then tune the input gain to taste. Has a nice midrange to it using the V30 Euro Cabs (currently using the ML Greatest Hits Eruo 4x12). I do tend to prefer darker cleans from neck humbuckers, that then hit the sweet spot in split coil positions.

In my experiences it’s best to avoid those chimmy peaky amps models that have sparkle as it can sound thin with the band. I’m using a Cameron CCV 1A (or B) for cleans and for me it it takes drive pedals well. When I want to add some chime I sometimes stick a GEQ before the amp and have one region boosted, 6khz. For me it makes a fender strat sound more like a fender strat. I appreciate this may not be your preferred tone.

Back
Top Bottom