Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.01

Well ya, but can your Axe FX give you an authentic hernia like a real Matchless?
You should have lifted my '72 Twin with the two EVM12Ls. That bugger felt like it was epoxied to the floor. Rolled it past the TV and it pulled all the colors except green to the bottom of the screen, where they stayed for a month or so. The wife was not nearly as amused about that as I was.... :D

I'm also finding the EF86 a bit dark, I'm using the 212 Chieftain curve with a 212 matchless IR, perhaps I should try others but I'd think this should be the near-perfect match.

I'm also finding the EF86 a bit dark, I'm using the 212 Chieftain curve with a 212 matchless IR, perhaps I should try others but I'd think this should be the near-perfect match.
Jason, I had to turn that Bass knob in the Ideal tab down to around 2ish to get it not to sound too dark. Luckily, my Novo is a fairly bright guitar ...... but the EF86 tamed it rather well!

I don't design the amps, I just copy them. You need to voice your complaint to Mark Sampson.
Lowering the bass knob shrinks the cap, thereby reducing bass, right?

Is there a rough formula for coverting between a cap value and the knob position to dial it in?

The Bass knob IS the Tone control. See the release notes.
And that’s why I was telling Jason what knob I used and where I set it to get rid of the darkness ...... I wouldn’t just assume that someone didn’t read the release notes because they told a fellow owner and worship guitarist friend where they set their preset at.

always do, but even with the bass at the minimum it's still on the dark side for me, will continue to experiment with cabs etc. Still sounds great.
Try the new York Audio Matchless pack. That’s what I used with the regular DC30 model and now the EF86 model. Sounds really great with it ....... and unless you’re playing a REALLY DARK guitar you should have great results. If I drop below 2ish on the Bass knob it gets a bit too “chimey” for my tastes.

these DC30 amps are really great sounding, after dialing the tone not to have a bassy sound (I agree with above comments, with my 2 power amp matrix GM50 + FRFR cabs or Eris 5).
Need to select the right cab block... not a pain, as we have a truck load of IRs...

Try the new York Audio Matchless pack. That’s what I used with the regular DC30 model and now the EF86 model. Sounds really great with it ....... and unless you’re playing a REALLY DARK guitar you should have great results. If I drop below 2ish on the Bass knob it gets a bit too “chimey” for my tastes.
yeah, i was using that pack, Mix 1 i believe. Bouncing between that and the OH VC30 212. I think part of it may be that my ear is so used to the OH1 mixes (which are on the bright side) that anything else can seem dark.

always do, but even with the bass at the minimum it's still on the dark side for me, will continue to experiment with cabs etc. Still sounds great.
Your final tone to your ears is going to depend on what you are playing through, (headphones, amps, cabs).
Could that be the issue? Becasue it sounds great here, through my rig and PA.

Back
Top Bottom