Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 11.00

Since all Axe-FX III's come with the latest firmware what will Cliff have the settings for speaker impedance modeling for new purchases? Will it be the pre-11 presets with the option for the 11s?

I did an open house in my studio this weekend and during the event people asked to demo the III against the amp in the room. They were completely blown away by the quality of sound being produced by the new firmware. I was so happy to have others hear the result of the new firmware. It’s just sooooo good. Unparalleled in capability and functionality.

So if I turn the global setting to YES, it's really like a preview then. If the editing light comes on, I assume if I don't save the preset, it's just like I never did anything?

Had rehearsal with the beta tonight, it sounded fantastic. Looking forward to the gig in two weeks!

I did an open house in my studio this weekend and during the event people asked to demo the III against the amp in the room. They were completely blown away by the quality of sound being produced by the new firmware. I was so happy to have others hear the result of the new firmware. It’s just sooooo good. Unparalleled in capability and functionality.
Nice. Slapped 'em silly with in-yo-f&&&in-face tone.... :D

Hi @FractalAudio thanks for doing this update is amazing.
the only issue I have with this is when uploading from the beta if I have an amp that has something by default like the morgan ac20 but I have it with a 2x12 cab and i have selected the vox 2x12 impedance as i prefer that tone.

I will have to check manually but this is brilliant

Thanks

WRT: new high-order speaker impedance modeling.
So we had knobs to adjust the resonance parameters before.
Is this new “high-order” modeling a combination of the new modeling technique that may be further augmented by the original resonance controls?

With all of the discussion over the betas, I didn't install until this morning.

Oh my! Just pulled up a Mesa Mark preset and switched the Imp. Curve to 2x12 Lead 80. Instant nostalgia--this is exactly like my old Boogie combo. All of the subtle characteristics. The sweetness, the "vocalnesss", the touch response...without dislocating my shoulders or making me deaf.

This firmware version is truly a beautiful thing!

WRT: new high-order speaker impedance modeling.
So we had knobs to adjust the resonance parameters before.
Is this new “high-order” modeling a combination of the new modeling technique that may be further augmented by the original resonance controls?
It adds the cabinet resonances, which cause various bumpies in the otherwise relatively smooth infinite baffle impedance curve used before.

You can see the effect of the resonance on the bumps pretty easily if you give it a twist. They all seem to default to 100%, but the knob runs 0% to 200%.

the triaxis models absolutely roar through the two legacy recto mix cabs and set to "4x12 recto slant"

the only thing i'm finding slightly difficult, is i have quite a few presets with ownhammer cabs in, which just have the speaker type (4x12 V30 etc), but the cabs listed in the axe fx don't always say which speakers are in them, they just say TV, AX, or Orange etc. so it's a bit difficult to match them up. it would be great of the cabs listed on the speaker page actually said what speakers were in the cab along with the other info.

If YES is selected in global all channels will be updated, saving the preset saves all.
As I read it and am experiencing, I selected yes for global channels. I load up a preset. It shows edited. I play with the setting, and just like always, if I don't save the preset, nothing is changed. If I choose to save the preset, it only saves that preset, not all the presets. I can move to the next preset and play all I want, and choose to save or not save.
Since I liked the new curves, and never change the actual factory presets, because I save to a new location, I installed the new version 11 presets. I can still modify any of the blocks in the presets just like always.

Last edited:
the triaxis models absolutely roar through the two legacy recto mix cabs and set to "4x12 recto slant"

the only thing i'm finding slightly difficult, is i have quite a few presets with ownhammer cabs in, which just have the speaker type (4x12 V30 etc), but the cabs listed in the axe fx don't always say which speakers are in them, they just say TV, AX, or Orange etc. so it's a bit difficult to match them up. it would be great of the cabs listed on the speaker page actually said what speakers were in the cab along with the other info.
Documentation is good, but in its absence, trying the different curves on works, and there are not yet so many that it would take all day.

I have mostly settled on the AC15 1x12 curve for my Mesa MS12 IR, as there is not a curve available specifically for that speaker. Sounds really good.

Try them all and go with the one that sounds the best,

To essentially repeat what everybody else is saying: you need to experiment. Since the default is 'cab blind', it's really only a starting point. Sometimes the obvious pick is the best.....sometimes a counter-intuitive choice blows it out of the water.

Back
Top Bottom