Tuner Poll

What is your preference for the tuner note names?

• Mixed sharps and flats as it is now, i.e. C, C#, D, Eb...

Votes: 172 46.4%
  • All sharps, i.e. C, C#, D, D#...

Votes: 40 10.8%
  • All flats, i.e. C, Db, D, Eb...

Votes: 159 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Poll results are interesting. All sharps by far least popular yet most tuners use a sharp indicator for accidentals.
I think it’s because guitarists typically tune down, and flat is easier to associate with that.

I think those tuning to different notes aside from strict downtuning have less issue with this entire thing.

I think it’s because guitarists typically tune down, and flat is easier to associate with that.

I think those tuning to different notes aside from strict downtuning have less issue with this entire thing.
Don't most guitarists typically play in standard tuning? See my argument above for why that leads to all sharps.

i think tuning down to Eb is less common than standard tuning.

Not always. I use Open-E, Open-G, Open-A, DADGAD.

I never do dropped-D or tune half step flat, but half step flat is very common - especially with blues/Strat players using heavier strings and grew up listening to SRV.

I'm so happy to have a killer tuner built in to the rig. The sharp vs flat nomenclature makes no difference to me or the guitar I'm tuning. I would be more interested in having different temperaments to tweak.

I prefer F#, Ab, Bb, C#, and Eb. I can justify most of those because of music theory (the F and C are first to be sharped, the B and E are first to be flatted, and thus are more common than their alternatives). The Ab / G# argument could go either way, since A is third to be flatted and G is third to be sharped.

tuner pole

AridCelebratedBlackrussianterrier-size_restricted.gif

Back
Top Bottom