Something for my PRS friends- The MODCAT Decoder

Rick

Axe-Master
Web site for MODCAT Decoder:

PRS MODCAT Decoder

I just discovered this, although it has been around for a while. I ran into a thread where folks were debating whether a particular PRS had an Indian or Brazilian rosewood neck. One forum member summarily stated it was Indian, based on the MODCAT number on the case. I've been playing PRS guitar for years... never knew that code meant anything particular. Actually, it tells you nearly EVERYTHING about the guitar. The MODCAT on a 513 I recently acquired is FTM2FTBFBFT_OW_GCCCF. As it turns out, that means:

Model:
Top Wood:
Maple
Frets:
Top Spec:
Figured Maple
Top Grade:
Ten Top
Neck Wood:
Brazilian Rosewood (Domestic)
Neck Carve:
Pattern (Wide/Fat)
Fingerboard Wood:
Brazilian Rosewood (Domestic)
Inlay:
513 Birds
Bridge:
Tremolo or 2-Piece Bridge
Color:
Tobacco Wraparound Burst
Hardware:
Gold
Treble Pickup:
513 Humbucker or 305 Single

Middle Pickup:
513 or 305 Single Coil
Bass Pickup:
513 Humbucker or 305 Single
Electronics:
Lo and behold, that is all exactly right.

Just where on the case do you find this modcat number? I looked all over my 513 case and couldn't find anything?

Yeah, it's a decal. I thought about tearing it off at one point on my cases, but never did. Turns out it was useful after all!

Interesting note... it seems I have someone else's case on my other 513. Ran the MODCAT and it comes back to a Custom 22/24 with the serial ending in 059, built in 2011. Never looked at the serial on the case, had the guitar for years and that's the case it came to me in. Thought I found a glitch in the system, but no... glitch was in a music store a few years back.

Nice tool for simple materials verification if you ever need it.

Reactions: TFC
Rick,
Thanks so much for sharing the MODCAT Decoder - I just checked all of my PRS's and they check out. Nice find!

Yeah, it's kind of a killer way to sort out some of the materials without having to bug the support folks at PRS. I knew that number meant something but never knew it was that meaningful!

Rosewood neck? Pics please, I'm curious.

Edit: NVM found some.
They sound pretty awesome. Used it live for the first gig last night. The neck felt great, the bare wood is nice. A real winner in tone and feel, and the look... one of the prettiest sunbursts I've ever owned.

Hi,

Does anybody know how to get modcat specs updated? My custom 22 artist is stating a wide fat neck when the hangtag states pattern regular which it definitely is, I've got a bunch of PRS guitars and it's definitely not wide fat.

Hi,

Does anybody know how to get modcat specs updated? My custom 22 artist is stating a wide fat neck when the hangtag states pattern regular which it definitely is, I've got a bunch of PRS guitars and it's definitely not wide fat.

it’s probably not wrong as the pattern regular is basically a updated wide fat.

Back
Top Bottom