Pros using DBX rack compressors but we don't use them in our patches?

Chiguete

Experienced
So when most of the big time pro guitarists had big old school racks they probably had a DBX rack compressor in them BUT when must of us do presets we might not put a compressor in there... specially if it's a distorted tone that we want! So what's the deal, did they only used those rack units for their noise gate or did they also used the compression side allways turned on at least a bit?

easy. put a compressor in your preset and see what it does.

as mentioned, compressor is mostly used for cleans.

analog gear has come so far, many who use real amps don't use a DBX compressor anymore. always remember WHEN people were using things and what else was available at the time. chances are, newer gear has taken that need away.

Yeah, the studio cats sure used them for only cleans. I know Landau has used the DBX after the amp and put a pedal compressor in front of the amp if he wanted extra squeeze.

A lot of the big time pro guitarist also had some questionable fashion and hairstyle choices back in the day....

Technology, musical taste, fashion, it all changes....

There are also dudes who are still using their refrigerator sized 90’s rack rig, and more power to them....

Regardless, no rule that says anyone needs to copy their rig or choices, anymore than you should tease and feather your hair, just because they were a famous pro lol

Regardless, no rule that says anyone needs to copy their rig or choices, anymore than you should tease and feather your hair, just because they were a famous pro lol
Ohh I get that, I just want to know if the "pros" used those DBX units just on cleans or they where allways on?

As an aside, back in the olden days (80/90's) I used to use 3 preamps (clean, dirty, dirtier), the last one actually being a Marshall JCM-800 (2210). I had a Quadraverb and a DBX-166 in my rack, and I used them to EQ and 'goose' the Marshall (hit its input hard on the power stage) and it was glorious.

Back
Top Bottom