Instrument Input Setting? 95%

tyejones

I just want a sanity check,

Is it possible that I have been using axe fx for years at the wrong input settings?

I just saw a video from AustinBuddy, saying to set instrument input so that when you play hard, it “tickles the red”.

In order to do that, I have to set my strat, tele, & Les Paul (all vintage low-output pickups) at 95%.
(I ran my axe fx 2 at 50% for 5+ years)

Now it is a whole new world, thank you AustinBuddy!

(I have to adjust my old settings because I get this brittle top-end on some presets with my strat...)

There are others who probably know the details better than I do but my understanding is that the input setting doesn't have any sonic effect apart from effectively lowering the noise floor but you are obviously hearing a difference so perhaps more going on there.

Mine is a 15%, and I run low output PAF pickups and 9 gauge strings. Every time I strum a full chord I tickle the red.

I was questioning this myself. I have several guitars and when I first received my 3 the input was set to 50% and they were all tickling the red. Not sure what changed but now I have it maxed out and set to +4db and now my LP will tickle the red but I can’t play hard enough to hit the red on my Tele, strat or Godin. I’m also find I have to turn the output up on the amp block for many presets because the output block meter is no where near the red. To rule out user error I was going to do a complete factory reset later today when I have more time.

I've run both my Axe Fx II and III units with it to to 100%... Barely get close to the red.

There are others who probably know the details better than I do but my understanding is that the input setting doesn't have any sonic effect apart from effectively lowering the noise floor but you are obviously hearing a difference so perhaps more going on there.
Correct... Except for extreme low values (< 5%) there should be no effect on the tone. This setting is for optimizing signal to noise in the AD converters.

I was questioning this myself. I have several guitars and when I first received my 3 the input was set to 50% and they were all tickling the red. Not sure what changed but now I have it maxed out and set to +4db and now my LP will tickle the red but I can’t play hard enough to hit the red on my Tele, strat or Godin. I’m also find I have to turn the output up on the amp block for many presets because the output block meter is no where near the red. To rule out user error I was going to do a complete factory reset later today when I have more time.
Where your output is set has NO bearing on the input level LEDs or the value of this setting.

Where your output is set has NO bearing on the input level LEDs or the value of this setting.

I realize this...was just an extra unrelated concern of mine. Are pickup outputs really that extreme where one user has his set to 13% and others at 100%? I guess the hottest pickups I have are the 57s in my LP. Are these considered extremely low output pups? Sorry for the noobish questions. I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous.

Last edited:
I realize this...was just an extra unrelated concern of mine. Are pickup outputs really that extreme where one user has his set to 13% and others at 100%? I guess the hottest pickups I have are the 57s in my LP. Are these considered extremely low output pups? Sorry for the noobish questions. I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous.
Pick up output, pick up height, playing style (one man's hard hit is another's average hit), thickness of pick & string gauge (lighter picks & strings don't generate as much energy as heavier ones) can all play a factor in how much output you get.

Last edited:
The Axe has to handle a wide range of pickups, from the lowest output to smoking-hot active pickups. On that scale, the 57 is a pretty low signal.

Back
Top Bottom