Does playing through an FRFR make you really feel like you gotta amp?

Hey fellas

I was just wondering. I had an atomic CLR, and with my kemper, it sounded GREAT. But it sounded like a modeler in some fashion, maybe it was the level, or maybe it was the settings (because after seeing Cooper Carter change the way an amp can respond, even by frequency or pitch, the axe just blows my mind) so with that said, do you FEEL like the FRFR you use, whatever it may be, atomic xitone or Friedman, whatever it is....

Do you feel like youre actually playing an “amp”/rig rather than when you are playing through your monitors for example....like EOB tones, do they ome through better on your cab?

Like monitors sound awesome, and in proper normal circumstances, they sound exactly like you would expect them to lol
However, at a certain volume, you can feel like your listening to “speakers” rather than an amp, which I again, think is normal

What i want to know, just to reiterate my question, is when you plug in to your FRFR (and PLEASE INCLUDE WHAT YOU USE), does it feel more like an amp with the axe 3 (especially more than monitors)??

Thanks

No. You can get closer using far-field IRs but it's still not quite the same.

Personally I don't care. I enjoy both experiences. Sometimes I like that studio sound of FRFR.
What’s are you using ? CLR?

(Btw everyone is going nuts over the Xitone vs CLR....is the Xitone really not as good, because if its not, i need to know like tonight ASAP)

I have the line 6 Powercab+. Setting it to flat give you the Mic’d amp sounds which I really like but disabling Af3 cabs and using the powercab’s speaker emulations gets me very close to that familiar amp in a room sound.

Forgot to mention you now get 12 speaker emus with the latest upddate.

I personally believe any speaker can work. Some are of course better than others, but that’s just speaker quality in general.

I think it’s all about EQing the speaker for the room. It won’t sound exactly like an amp but that’s how it works and I think it always sounds better, more in control, and sits better in any mix.

If you want a loud, uncontrollable, typical guitar amp experience, use a regular guitar cab. THAT is the experience people are used to and that’s how to get it. It’s physics. Amps aren’t physics, that’s Tone. Speakers and physical acoustics can’t be modeled since it’s a physical interaction with real air and rooms.

That said, using full range gear - and I’ve used almost every popular speaker that has existed - sounds great and no one has ever told me it doesn’t sound like an amp in over 10 years.

Well put Chris.....now can you tell me Xitone vs CLR....Would i be happy with either...I OWNED a CLR and i know its great, but will i be happy with the Xitone coming from the CLR?

FRFR is what my issue is. A few dudes insisted, “since the 70s” the ONLY true FRFR is and always was the CLR....now Atomic has a CLR system....Xitone uses a different system, but its supposed to be a bit more sophisticated in its delivery of the FRFR to make it sound more like the axe is a pre amp and thats the power amp, again...i wish i understood about it more but someone said, thats not true FRFR so thats why i was asking

Xitone vs CLR .... its both goood, question really is, is the Xitone true FRFR like the Atomic Neo?

Xitone’s mag review says “. Although it’s billed as an FRFR solution in the broad sense, it delivers some extra lower-midrange thump and a certain guitar-cab-like punchiness (due to its sealed cabinet design) even when set to Mode 1—which is to say, it’s not strictly FRFR, but that should be taken as a good thing by any guitarist seeking a traditional onstage response from their modeling rig.”

What does that mean????? Is it or not FRFR? Like it contradicts itself

So basically its FRFR, with a little extra lower midrang thump, it was the “billed” quote, but it IS FRFR
Just like the CLR sounds a little thin hollow, tinny, transparent, and like one big studio monitor lol
So either way, its a good machine , thats what your sayin, right Chris?

I use Adam studio monitors at home and two Vox 2-12 cabs with full range Celestians with a QSC Power amp live. Other times I use2 QSC k12s. All work well. I do believe the Adams is the best at home. It seems counter productive to use guitar speakers.

Back
Top Bottom