Axe-Fx III vs Zoom 505 !!!

Piing

Axe-Master
Just for fun :joycat:

At 9:00 they play the Zoom through Axe-FX III CABs. The duende is gone when they roll down the guitar volume

Last edited:
This is totally unfair. Zoom has had 23 years to tweak their algorithms, and the Axe FX 3 is only a year old!

I don't speak a word of Spanish, but somehow I'm able to figure out which unit they're playing. Telling the difference between the FX 3 and a 23 year old Zoom takes serious critical listening skills.

Muy divertido is right. I love the pronounciation of "FX" as "Eff-Equis" and not "Effe - Equis" or "Eff Ex"

Now just let me show ya'll my zoom 707 II ... ( can't believe I used to play through it out in public some 15 odd years ago- sounds like shit nowadays)

This is totally unfair. Zoom has had 23 years to tweak their algorithms, and the Axe FX 3 is only a year old!

I don't speak a word of Spanish, but somehow I'm able to figure out which unit they're playing. Telling the difference between the FX 3 and a 23 year old Zoom takes serious critical listening skills.

Totally unfair, indeed. The Axeffequis Tres is still crawling with diapers while the Zoom is a mature piece of vintage cheese. Be patient and give the Axeffequis Tres time to macerate and ripen its unseasoned circuits!

Last edited:
Hey guys!

Nice to see some of you are having fun with our video!

That was our only goal: having fun. As you can probably tell, It was kind of improvised, and of course It was a 100% unfair comparison! :joycat:

So don't take this too seriously (actually the audio is really bad, and couldn't do it again because no longer have the Zoom 505, but because the video is so hilarious, we still decided to share it).

Said that, and after seeing how popular this video has become, maybe we should do a series of comparison with old and cheap gear (we would do it more carefully this time).

Thanks again!

Hey guys!

That was our only goal: having fun. As you can probably tell, It was kind of improvised, and of course It was a 100% unfair comparison! :joycat:

So don't take this too seriously (actually the audio is really bad, and couldn't do it again because no longer have the Zoom 505, but because the video is so hilarious, we still decided to share it).

Said that, and after seeing how popular this video has become, maybe we should do a series of comparison with old and cheap gear (we would do it more carefully this time).

Thanks again!

I don't speak the language unfortunately so missed out on a lot of the funny bits, but I still enjoyed the parts that I did watch! It's such a trip down memory lane, what really scares me is at the time I thought the Zoom 505 sounded ok!! Probably this is because I was playing through a Peavy Rage 108. :D

EDIT: Thanks for the video, definitely do more please!

Haha...Zoom 505 + Peavey Rage is the definition of an era itself!

I have to confess I "love" 90s affordable gear. Not exactly because of the sound (my sound was awful), but for my memories of the excitement I felt whenever someone borrowed me a new pedal.

And also because I was not aware of how cheap some amps/pedals were, I simply liked them or not. Now I feel It is a bit harder for me to dissociate from the awareness of brand/price/reputation of products.

Comparing this 505 with my Axe FX III was like connecting my past and my present. It was a lot of fun, also kind of nostalgic, but in a good way.

Owned a Zoom 3030, only for effects. IIRC its pitch shifting was rather good.

Hey guys!

Thanks again!
Hola Micky. Muchas gracias por hacer ese vídeo divertido y nostálgico. Es una interesante perspectiva de como han cambiado los tiempos.

I was introduced to guitar modelers with the Zoom 9002!
I used it so much that the black paint was almost all gone, and all you could see was the white plastic.
Zoom%2B9002%2BGuitar%2BMulti-FX%2BProcessor.JPG

Good times to be a guitarist!
Saludos desde Bangkok,
Manuel

Last edited:
Hola Mike. Muchas gracias por hacer ese video. Es una buena perspectiva de como han cambiado los tiempos.

I started my "career" with the Zoom 9002!
I used it so much that the black paint was almost all gone, and all you could see was the white plastic.

Thank you, ¡muchas gracias a ti por ver el vídeo!
Wow, that's really getting the most out of a device!
Do you still have it? Since It was designed for headphones, should I suppose It had some kind of Cam Sim?
It would be fun to hear what kind of spaker emulation they came up with at that time.

I don't speak the language unfortunately so missed out on a lot of the funny bits, but I still enjoyed the parts that I did watch! It's such a trip down memory lane, what really scares me is at the time I thought the Zoom 505 sounded ok!! Probably this is because I was playing through a Peavy Rage 108. :D

EDIT: Thanks for the video, definitely do more please!

If you turn on the subtitles, well, you only get Spanish subtitles. But you can also turn on a translate function. So you get like instant Google translate for the Spanish subtitles that youtube generates on the fly. You'll probably still miss more then 50% of what they are saying, but at least you might understand the rest.

Hey guys!

Thanks again!

Maybe next time talk in English? :smile: Or include some English subs? Methinks being able to reach a bigger audience never hurt anyone, right? :wink:

Haha...Zoom 505 + Peavey Rage is the definition of an era itself!

I have to confess I "love" 90s affordable gear. Not exactly because of the sound (my sound was awful), but for my memories of the excitement I felt whenever someone borrowed me a new pedal.

And also because I was not aware of how cheap some amps/pedals were, I simply liked them or not. Now I feel It is a bit harder for me to dissociate from the awareness of brand/price/reputation of products.

Comparing this 505 with my Axe FX III was like connecting my past and my present. It was a lot of fun, also kind of nostalgic, but in a good way.

I don't think cheap gear has to be bad, nor do I think that a higher price makes for a better sound. I reckon the cab sim in the Zoom was probably utterly shite. But when you guys hooked it up with the cab sims of the III the sound became a lot better. Sounded like a decent distortion even. Cab sim technology was just barely existent back then.

And was your sound back then awful? Maybe by today's standards it was, but tone is a quest that forever keeps on going. The road that never ends. It's all about the journey. If it sounded good by the standards you had back then it was good. And maybe it sounds bad now because you have changed? Traveled along on the journey. And what we think of as great now will sound terrible to us 20 years from now?

Back
Top Bottom