Axe-Fx 3 and Apollo 8 Integration?

believer

Curious if anyone is combining both of these to record guitar and also Software AU/VST, such as strings, pads, etc. I'm trying to get the most out of both but honestly not sure how to route each one. Has anyone just tried the Axe as main interface to record all with any good result's?

The two units are a great combination with many ways to connect to each other, IMO better than using the III as the main or only interface.....at least on Macs where it is easier to create aggregate audio..are you doing that ?

Easy on a mac where coreaudio takes care of aggregating the two audio interfaces. On windows, asio4all is pretty flaky and I haven't had much success in using both.

Curious if anyone is combining both of these to record guitar and also Software AU/VST, such as strings, pads, etc. I'm trying to get the most out of both but honestly not sure how to route each one. Has anyone just tried the Axe as main interface to record all with any good result's?
Most interfaces pair up to DAWS the same. Each channel on your DAW had inputs and outputs. I only use my Axe 3 as an interface when I am recording guitars. Then when I am finished, I switch back to my Focuserite 8. To use keyboard Plugins you will need a keyboard controller, usb or midi to your interface or computer. To make keyboard tracks, it takes two tracks to create a plugin sound. One midi track to lay down your performance and an audio track to record. I always lay down all keyboard tracks midi first. Listen close and fix any mistakes. Most minor mistakes can be fixed with a mouse. Then you can lay it down on an audio track. I do all my recordings this way. I use Sonar Platinum but most use protools. I hate proprietary software. DAW software will be needed to record. If you have never did it before, it is not easy with the routing at first. You have track inputs and output. Outputs may be directed to the mains, effects buss, vocal buss, and etc. These buss are used to mix several things on one fader as a master for say vocals. Once you get the vocals mixed on the input faders, you direct the output to the vocal that you have to create. This way if all the vocals are too low or too loud in the mix, you can control the overall vocals with one fader. Keep in mind the latest format is Thunderbolt with has almost no latency. USB, you can't listen to input monitoring because the latency sounds like a slapback delay. Your computer motherboard must support thunderbolt also. I built my computer from scratch. Hope this helps.

The two units are a great combination with many ways to connect to each other, IMO better than using the III as the main or only interface.....at least on Macs where it is easier to create aggregate audio..are you doing that ?
Not yet, I tried just using the Axe as my main yesterday and seemed to work alright, but I like the Apollo better because of the monitor volume knob. I'm able to control the volume a little better. With the Axe, I had to turn down out 1 quite a bit compared to the two. I'll continue to play around with both, but the Axe does sound great through my Adam A7X's.

Back
Top Bottom