4cm using Fractal amp models as well as real amp?

Random Hero

Inspired
I have 4cm hooked up and working fine but would love to use some of the clean models with my amp - I have a Friedman Smallbox, so a dedicated US style clean would be great. Can anybody help me with this? How do I set it so that the guitar is routed straight to the modelled preamp and out through the power amp?

Thanks in advance.

I run both 4CM and FRFR. The key is how you look at your inputs and outputs on the Axe FX. I laid out what my connections are here: Using Axe-Fx III with a real amp.

Given those connections I can build different presets:

Preset for Amp Modelling + Real Guitar Cabinet
Input 1 > Amp Block > Output 4

4CM (No amp or cab modelling)
Input 1 > Output 3 > Input 4 > Output 4

FRFR
Input 1 > Amp Block > Cab Block > Output 1

Guitar Amplifier PreAmp + FRFR Speaker
Input 1 > Output 3 > Input 4 > Cab Block > Output 1

You can insert effect blocks as you see fit in the presets to achieve your desired result.

Read the Manual on 4 CM setup and follow the instructions there to adjust your noise floor. Use Humbuster cables for Outputs 3 & 4.

Last edited:
FX loop block?

I'm using In 1, Out 3 for front of the amp, then In and Out 4 for the FX loop of the amp.
hmm, axe3. i meant to say put the Amp block after In 4.

if you put the Amp before Out 3, you'll send the Amp sim to the preamp of the real amp, and you probably don't want that. you want the Amp sim to go to the power amp, so put it after In 4, which will then go to the Power Amp return of your amp.

I'd put the amp block (plus a shunt) in a separate parallel row, just above or below Out3-In4. Then you won't have a ton of gain if the head's preamp and amp block are both engaged. Branch to Out3/Amp1, merge In4/shunt to next column.

Out3 In4
Amp1-shunt

Out 3 & In 4 blocks don't have to be connected to each other. They could even be in the same column to use fewer columns:

vJmPizx.png

Set amp block bypass mode to "mute". Bypass Out 3 & In 4 blocks when engaging Amp block.

Ok I have the following question. I followed Leon Todd's YT tutorial on how to connect the AXE 3 with a Tube Amp via 4CM. I have this working great with my EVH EL34 100 Watt head in the 4cm. Leon per the YT video has guitar>in 1 out 3> amp in in3>amp effects send output 1>amps effect return. The grid is Input 1 pre effects Output 3 Input 3 post time based effects Output 1.

I also have my 2 Friedman ASM12 Cabinets connected via Output 2 which ties into the chain before Output 1 so I can get all of the pre and post effects and then be able to run cabinet IR sims through the Friedman FRFR cabinets.

What I would like to do is to utilize the AXE 3 amp sims with this setup without re-cabling. How to I route the inputs and outputs on the grid block via a preset or scene so I can take advantage of the AXE 3 amp sims and just have the EVH provide the poweramp section?

Regards

Ok I have the following question. I followed Leon Todd's YT tutorial on how to connect the AXE 3 with a Tube Amp via 4CM. I have this working great with my EVH EL34 100 Watt head in the 4cm. Leon per the YT video has guitar>in 1 out 3> amp in in3>amp effects send output 1>amps effect return. The grid is Input 1 pre effects Output 3 Input 3 post time based effects Output 1.

I also have my 2 Friedman ASM12 Cabinets connected via Output 2 which ties into the chain before Output 1 so I can get all of the pre and post effects and then be able to run cabinet IR sims through the Friedman FRFR cabinets.

What I would like to do is to utilize the AXE 3 amp sims with this setup without re-cabling. How to I route the inputs and outputs on the grid block via a preset or scene so I can take advantage of the AXE 3 amp sims and just have the EVH provide the poweramp section?

Regards
I'm interested in this as well.

Regards
After prefx > out/in3 and before post fx, you can have amp blocks that are engaged for a scene with in3 disengaged (virtual amp active scene), and, that are disengaged for a scene where In3 is engaged (external amp pre active scene). If your are going out thru the return of your amp head you may want to turn off power amp modelling in the amp blocks.

Back
Top Bottom