AX8 Firmware Version 10.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone else having issues with the screen going blank? Axe Edit still works but the screen on the device goes blank. Footswitches seem to work too.

Is anyone else having issues with the screen going blank? Axe Edit still works but the screen on the device goes blank. Footswitches seem to work too.
Yes. It happened to me today. Confirmed and reported.

That update (pre-Ares) was talked about and promised for months since AX8's 10 FW had things (new Friedman amp, maybe? I can't recall correctly) that the last Quantum for the II (with SOME of the ARES epiphanies) didn't. Then, Cliff announced the porting of ARES to the II platform as an EOL gift to the community. Many months later, here we are, ARES rev 1.02 is the LAST FW for the II (maybe some bug fixes later on) and not a single word has been said about the future of the AX8 platform.

Even thought they share the same platform, we all know the technical limitations of the hardware in AX8 vs the Axe Fx II, althought it was said that the greatest limitation in the II for the ARES port was not in it's hardware capabilities but in the dedicated memory for the code, we don't know if this is the same between AX8 and the II, maybe the AX8 has more space being a newer product, only FAS knows.

Finally, as I said in another post, let's remember that Joe Rogers is no longer working at FAS and he was the man responsible for porting the code from the II to the AX8 so is expected for things to get really slow at this side. Maybe with the II now finished we can catch up at some point, but unless @FractalAudio says something, all of this falls into pure speculation.

EDIT: User J.J. noted this thread from Oct 15, 2016 It seems that the AX8 has more memory (at least) than the Axe FX II MK 1/2, dunno if this applies to XL/XL+...

Last edited:
In making my forthcoming Bass TonePack, under FW 10.01 I have found than switching presets (not playing/no input) from a Hiwatt amp preset to certain other presets amps like a Plexi or Ampeg SVT I get a very loud THUMP in my speakers.

It happens from pedal board with no Ax8-Edit active, and also when switching from Ax8-edit. So it's not an Ax8-Edit issue.

It does not happen with all amps -- I can go from a Hiwatt to a Fender Bassman with no thump.

It would be inadvisable to gig with an AX8 if your set list required you switch presets from a Hiwatt to a Plexi or SVT in this way.

Not sure if we will ever get a firmware update beyond FW 10.01 but if we did, it would very nice to have this bug fixed in that.

Same here, Cameron models loud THUMP switching tubes, and sometimes when changing amp models. Not a huge problem in the studio when it's not loud, but when I was need to made changes before the gig directly on soundcheck I think entire venue jumped up when I switched amp model :( (festival with more than 5kWt front of house power)
hope there will be a new update and it will be fixed!

I updated my AX8, and i think after announcing the FM3 they wont fix these issues with current firmware.
I am not satisfied with the firmware because of these anormal noises. So i want to load an older firmware which was running really stable. Do you have an advice which firmware was really stable?

I updated my AX8, and i think after announcing the FM3 they wont fix these issues with current firmware.
I am not satisfied with the firmware because of these anormal noises. So i want to load an older firmware which was running really stable. Do you have an advice which firmware was really stable?

I have stuck with 6.04. It has never let me down.

What "anormal" noises? I've been on 10.01 for the last 8 months, playing live every week, without any issues at all.

Reactions: Ole
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom