FC/Axe-Fx 3 display basics

Can’t quite wrap my head around this thread, but if we take everything at face value, what I think the OP actually would be best served by is something like a cheap tablet running fracpad, allowing him to sit in a chair and adjust parameters on the Axe remotely, and without needing a full computer setup for Axe-edit (though it certainly is a useful program)

Can’t quite wrap my head around this thread, but if we take everything at face value, what I think the OP actually would be best served by is something like a cheap tablet running fracpad, allowing him to sit in a chair and adjust parameters on the Axe remotely, and without needing a full computer setup for Axe-edit (though it certainly is a useful program)
He wants buttons to automatically appear on the FC when he adds blocks to the Axe Fx preset. Or he wants blocks to appear automatically in the preset if he presses a button on the FC and that block isn't in the preset.

Neither of these is possible, nor do they really make sense with the way the devices work.

He wants buttons to automatically appear on the FC when he adds blocks to the Axe Fx preset.

Yes, that's what I was asking... if it were possible.
I will read the manual and learn how it comes together.. I have a better understanding of how the communicate.
I would be best served using a laptop. Its pandora box type situation. I have a 10 yr old desk top with cable modem. I dont have wifi. I have a laptop, tries to run it directly through the cable modem trying to download and install these programs... but didn't work.
I need to buy a new home computer, buy wifi, then buy a laptop.... then I will be able to introduce myself to laptop use with the axe. It's a major task that I instinctively avoid. That's probably why I am asking these rudimentary and unorthodox questions... they dont seem impractical to me....because I just dont have a deep understanding of tech.

If you’re comfortable with the front panel, then you can sufficiently use the gear without a computer.

The confusion here is what you thought the FC would do or how the interaction should work. Since it’s designed for performing - which also means just playing through a song at home - it doesn’t call up the screens for editing quickly. It’s not an editing controller, it’s for performance. Generally speaking, people aren’t staring at the screen on stage. Even with your looper example, I don’t look at the screen when looping, I just press the buttons.

Again, you don’t need a computer, it sounds like you have a handle on editing already. A lot of people don’t believe me when I say people buy their first computer when they buy an Axe-Fx, or at least first in a while. Not everyone lives on the Internet.

Yes, that's what I was asking... if it were possible.
I will read the manual and learn how it comes together.. I have a better understanding of how the communicate.
I would be best served using a laptop. Its pandora box type situation. I have a 10 yr old desk top with cable modem. I dont have wifi. I have a laptop, tries to run it directly through the cable modem trying to download and install these programs... but didn't work.
I need to buy a new home computer, buy wifi, then buy a laptop.... then I will be able to introduce myself to laptop use with the axe. It's a major task that I instinctively avoid. That's probably why I am asking these rudimentary and unorthodox questions... they dont seem impractical to me....because I just dont have a deep understanding of tech.
You can just use EZ mode from the front panel for most stuff. Definitely does not require a computer.

But I think you really want to try to get an understanding of how Layouts work because they are "global".

You could also explore per-preset switches, but that's a bit more complex.

I figured out how to do what I wanted.
I just needed one more day of using it
I went into setup, then FC controller... and I added a drive 2 block in the block chain, then assigned drive 2 to a unused effects slot, and saved it.

I just needed the confidence to give it a try.....programming it. And it fell into place very easily. I'm pleased about that.

I'm still trying to figure out how the two communicate. There are default layouts... and then its completely programmable. Since it's new to me, I have to start out and learn the basics of the default layouts.
I trying to navigate....adding effects using the axe with it automatically updating on the FC... for example theres a default setting of drive 1.. when I add another drive... drive 2 doesn't pop up automatically.
Is there a way to add a effect to a ghost block manually using the axe and it instantaneously registers on the FC?

Yes this easy.... using the axe, enter setup, then FC, and start to the EZ tab. But you first need to enter set up,then FC controller... to establish a connection between the two units so that they can begin to communicate beyond the default settings. If your just in layout adding effects like you have been doing before you got the FC.. it's not going to automatically show up on the FC.

See FAQ on sheet 10 of the owners manual tells you the Axe3 does all the "heavy lifting".

Hint.. using the axe.. and the preset your using.. enter layout.. chose a ghost block and add drive 2. Then exit out and enter setup, FC Controler, to the EZ tab. You'll see how to select a emply spot on the FC, and assign it to be drive 2 using the axe. Then hit enter and save it. Drive 2 will now now be on your pedal board.

Read the manual... your too quick to cheat and ask for help

But you first need to enter set up,then FC controller... to establish a connection between the two units so that they can begin to communicate beyond the default settings.
Consider that you’re not “establishing a connection beyond default settings” but rather entering Setup mode. This is where you would setup the FC.

Back
Top Bottom