"Sweetened" Tunings?

Ugly Bunny

Power User
Fellas,

For those of you that use tuning offsets, what do you use and why did you choose it? Any recommendations for an all-around rock player? Chords, power chords, open chords, etc? I watched a video about why Frusciante downtuned his B-string for "Scar Tissue" and it got me thinking.

I know the Axe III has the ability to do string offsets, so I'm just wondering if I'm not missing something by always tuning to A440, mom & pop, meat & potatoes, missionary position tuning.

Thanks!

When I got a Peterson tuner it had a sweetened tuning preset. In my case I noticed for the chords I play, and the way I play them, it sounded more in tune over the layout of the neck.

When I got a Peterson tuner it had a sweetened tuning preset. In my case I noticed for the chords I play, and the way I play them, it sounded more in tune over the layout of the neck.
I have the Peterson stroboPlusHD but never really messed with the sweetened tunings - which sweetener did you like? Do you know off-hand what the offsets are?

James Taylor Tuning:
E -3
B -6
G -4
D -8
A -10
E -12
I don't always make this much effort to tune...
But it does seem to help with capo playing... Which I hardly do, thus the lack of effort.
;)

... which sweetener did you like? Do you know off-hand what the offsets are?

To my knowledge Peterson only has one sweetened tuning and an equal tuning. I understand you should set harmonics with Equal and then tune with sweetened. The Peterson formulas are proprietary but people have figured them out and published them to be:

E1 = -2.3 cent
B2 = 0
G3 = 0
D4 = -0.4 Cent
A5 = -2.1 Cent
E6 = -2.3 Cent

I have an Evertune Bridge that is rock solid on a strobe tuner and using my own calibrations I set my Axe to:

E1 = -2.30 cts
B2 = -2.00 cts
G3 = 0.00 cts
D4 = -0.40 cts
A5 = -1.80 cts
E6 = -2.40 cts

Back
Top Bottom