End of new presets for AX8?

boz52

Experienced
I figured that once the FM3 is in full swing, AX8 tone experts (Moke, Leon, etc...) will push the AX8 to the side and concentrate on the FM3 tones. Sure you can always covert the presets to work with the AX8 but it’s not the same.

I will be keeping and supporting my AX8 and Axe-Fx II units for the foreseeable future.

Any new presets that I can find time to create will still be offered in the 'legacy' formats, whenever possible. Including occasional improvements to the existing presets, not related to firmware updates.

I am sure that there will be times when an Axe-Fx III preset will not be possible in one or more of the other units because of missing blocks/parameters, or CPU constraints.

Axe-Fx III (and likely the FM3) presets are not convertible to the older units (so far).

Not to say the current tones aren’t great, but are there really that many “new” tones out there still ?

How many different ways can you tweak a Fender or Marshall that we haven’t already heard ?

There are already such a vast assortment of what each and every amp model can do I don’t really see the 101st JCM800 80’s metal tone being that different than the 100 that came before it.

I feel like we’ve already got a lifetime of amazing guitar tones are our fingers, though you can of course add a drive block, tweak the mods slightly, and add a different delay etc and call it the 102nd tone lol

Not to say the current tones aren’t great, but are there really that many “new” tones out there still ?

How many different ways can you tweak a Fender or Marshall that we haven’t already heard ?

Very true..:cool:.. But there are 1000's of 'old' tones out there to try to recreate, if you're into that sorta think... ;):D

Very true..:cool:.. But there are 1000's of 'old' tones out there to try to recreate, if you're into that sorta think... ;):D

Certainly plenty that are :)

Kind of like the guitar pedal business in a way, we have 100’s of different tone benders, tube screamers, fuzz faces etc, all based on the same circuit, but someone says they used a “rare NOS carbon cap that you can’t buy anywhere” and they charge $200 for the pedal, even when a $0.02 ceramic cap has zero tonal difference. Thing is, a lot of buyers have zero idea what circuit it’s based on, or believe that a “nos” part has a certain “mojo” etc, so they happily pay their $200 and talk about how their new pedal blows away any other OD they’ve had before, even though it’s the same thing, fancy box and product name.

Mind you, I don’t fault the buyer or seller in a h way, more power to anyone to earn a living and buy what makes them happy.

At the same time, I’m a big fan of DIY, learning a process so I can craft my own stuff etc. learn how an input cap affects the fuzz factory circuit and for $2 and some soldering skill you can make all the “booteek” you desire, or, learn a bit about guys signal chains, that they used a compressor etc as part of getting their signature tone and it’s a bit easier to dial in what your after.

Though again, I do get that some people just want to play :)

It suck that the firmware is alone on the AX8.....it feels isolated.....for the first time I am looking at other options.

There are already such a vast assortment of what each and every amp model can do I don’t really see the 101st JCM800 80’s metal tone being that different than the 100 that came before it.

I feel like we’ve already got a lifetime of amazing guitar tones are our fingers, though you can of course add a drive block, tweak the mods slightly, and add a different delay etc and call it the 102nd tone lol
Excellent point and reminder!

FAS has consistently demonstrated an exceptional level of service and support for their legacy gear. I don’t see that changing any time soon. They have earned my utmost confidence. I’ll gladly give them credit where credit is due.

The AX8 still has plenty to offer. After using a couple of @Moke and @austinbuddy presets and building a few of my own, the tone from the AX8 is always top-notch. My band ranges from Blackberry Smoke to Thin Lizzy to Stone Temple Pilots to Black Stone Cherry and more. Using a standard template across all presets but adding a different drive, fuzz, etc. and using a couple of external controllers provides unlimited possibilities. The AX8 stills gets the job done.

Back
Top Bottom