Seeking Inexpensive - Good Sounding Bass for Tracking

Warrior

Power User
Considering picking up a bass to lay down bass tracks. Not for live use.

For the critical stuff, I have a friend lay down tracks but busy schedules get in the way.
Other times I'll use a VI with decent results.

Both scenarios have traits that make the workflow slow, delayed and/or cumbersome.

So I thought I would consider getting a bass but I don't want to spend much. (Save that for my gee-tars!)
Wondering if anyone could provide some recommendations based on experience.

Would be tracking through my Axe-FX III direct to DAW.

Ive got myself a Squier contemporary active jazz bass. Really like it, versatile, sounds good and the action is really confortable. I have another Squier P Bass, which is ok, but not as great as contemporary jazz.

Ive got myself a Squier contemporary active jazz bass. Really like it, versatile, sounds good and the action is really confortable. I have another Squier P Bass, which is ok, but not as great as contemporary jazz.

Just did a quick search and found this one.
Definitely the right price.

Quite a few out there in the $300 and under range.

Hmmm... lots of used SR's at GC for under $250! Sounds promising.
Any particular SR models or features you would suggest I target?

Maybe a bit out of your price range, but I picked up an '83 Made in Japan Squier P-Bass. It's excellent. Comparable to American P Basses. It has an SQ serial number. I did swap out the pickups for some Geezer Butler signature ones.

When i got my Squier jazz bass, I wanted to try a Fender bass thinking this would be an upgrade. Ordered a player series Fender P bass- everything looked nice until i tried to adjust the action- the truss rod was stuck dead and could not turn at all. Had to return it and my faith in Fender continues to drop.

Just want to say thumbs up to your plan. Getting a real bass for home recording is 100% the best way to go, and you've already got world class bass signal chain potential in the Axe-Fx.

Long time ago I was in the same boat, tried to lay down bass lines with keyboards, etc. I got a bass for the same reasons. Over time my technique developed and now I'm a pretty OK real actual 'bass player'. Not just a guitar player trying to use a bass :). It's a nice addition to the skillset, I can hold my own on bass in a pro gigging live band situation if the need arises.

I was coming here to suggest the Ibanez SR series... Looks like I'm in good company.

I have a MIM Fender P/J active that I got in trade with a former band mate and it's quite nice. No idea what model...

I've got a low budget Washburn passive P/J that's very comfortable with a thin, flat neck.

I also have a Squier P from about 30 years ago that I inherited from a former band mate's brother when he lost interest. It's definitely good enough for recording.

Then I have a 5-string active dual humbucker (brand unknown) that I bought years ago in a pawn shop.

After typing all of this, I'm left wondering why the hell I have so many basses when I'm not really a bassist? :D

Back
Top Bottom