The RCB Boost is great!

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
Lately I'm finding that RCB Boost is really doing it for me.

Feeding it with mostly default settings into a clean-ish amp provides a nice edge of breakup tone, and moving the Drive up to 10 and bumping the level a bit gets some really organic lead tones, especially with a neck single coil, or neck + middle.

I've been really happy with the Micro Boost as my primary boost for a while now, but I think I like the RCB more.

Give it a shot.

- Edited to correctly specify the Micro Boost name :D

Last edited:
I’ve overlooked the RCB, and I’m pretty much a Boost only user. Thanks for the reminder.. I’ve been using the BB a bit more since the update.. but I still love my FET’s then the SDD & the Micro.. and of course just a good ol’ Filter Block & The Boost Switch on the Amp, or a combination thereof.

Unfortunately my AxeFX III did not come with the coveted, highly acclaimed, extraordinarily rare, “Master Drive.” o_O So I can’t comment on it..
:D

I will have to give these a look.

I have been using a filter set flat with 11dB of gain to bump up the level of my single-coil guitars to match the humbucker guitars, at least while going through and picking my favorite amp models. Sounds about exactly like the time I built in an FET booster on my Strat in the '80s. The input tube gets just a little 'splattery' when hit with the boosted signal, due to the bright, harmonically-rich single coil sound clashing just a bit with the harmonics generated in the input tube. Eventually, I will need to set up a couple banks, one for the low-output guitars, and one for the high-output guitars., and dial things in better for each, but for now, still woodshedding, discovering, and boldly asking uninformed questions *many* have asked before.... LOL

I will have to give these a look.

I have been using a filter set flat with 11dB of gain to bump up the level of my single-coil guitars to match the humbucker guitars, at least while going through and picking my favorite amp models. Sounds about exactly like the time I built in an FET booster on my Strat in the '80s. The input tube gets just a little 'splattery' when hit with the boosted signal, due to the bright, harmonically-rich single coil sound clashing just a bit with the harmonics generated in the input tube. Eventually, I will need to set up a couple banks, one for the low-output guitars, and one for the high-output guitars., and dial things in better for each, but for now, still woodshedding, discovering, and boldly asking uninformed questions *many* have asked before.... LOL
Definitely try the RCB Boost, Micro Boost, FET Boost and SDD Drive types.

They all work really well for that.

The Micro Boost is nothing more than a level boost (same as a “null” filter) with some high cut.

The RC offers more but not as a drive, because its gain is kind of raspy, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom