Magnatone Panoramic Stereo Amp?

Who would like a Magnatone model in their Fractal arsenal?

• Total voters
Not necessarily needing the stereo capabilities, but I played this amp today and was FLOORED by it and a few other Magnatones I checked out. I intend to TRY and approximate it but would be ETERNALLY grateful if the good folks at Fractal could actually properly model this beast!!! The reverb and unique trem/vibrato effects in the amp are SPECTACULAR as well!!!

I gotta day, they are both just stupendous amps and apparently the magnatone resurgence is coming courtesy of ampeg company descendants... so it’s all this beautiful karmic thing...

I’m getting close to the magnatone with a couple of fenders, switching out the tubes and tone stacks and playing with different cab IR’s. It’s eeally just a matter of spending enough time with an amp to really capture its dynamic range, Ed curves and all that. Sadly I can’t just sit in a store with my AX8 and tweak it next to a magnatone. Seems like I’d be banned in like 20 minutes...

As much as I love my old Magnatone amps (I still have 3), I don't really care that much about a Magnatone amp model. But I would very much like a model of the stereo vibrato effect from either a 280, a 480 or an M15. Those were the stereo vibrato models with the most impressive vibrato, IMO.

Love Ampegs too. A V4 would be freaking awesome!!

As much as I love my old Magnatone amps (I still have 3), I don't really care that much about a Magnatone amp model. But I would very much like a model of the stereo vibrato effect from either a 280, a 480 or an M15. Those were the stereo vibrato models with the most impressive vibrato, IMO.

Love Ampegs too. A V4 would be freaking awesome!!

Leon,

I agree that the vibrato effect on those Amps is stellar (especially in stereo) and would love an emulation of that effect, I gotta say I love the way the magnatones break up and their sheer girth when cranked up a bit. Their frequency response is unique and cool. I also love ampegs and wouldn’t say no to any of their offerings, certainly not a V4...

Yeah, got to play those amps at the NAMM show and talked with Obeid Khan (the designer) about them and old Magnatones for a while. He's a great guy and a great designer and a fantastic player! They are indeed really good sounding amps. Generally, IMO, they overdrive better than many of the old models (particularly, the suitcase series Maggies). I think it's a tough sell for Cliff & Co, however, there are so few people using them...

Well, I think that there are quite a few amps on the fractal that are not used by many people... the Hook, Dumble, Atomica, Trainwreck, Matchless, etc. aren’t really hugely available in your average guitarists home, but there are wonderful tones to be had by them all and many other more “obscure” models. I just think that a variety of tones is nice. Plus, Billy Gibbons and Neil Young (amongst others) are avid users of these amps, so there are quantifiably classic tones to be had from these models, if the good folks at Fractal will indulge us.

It would even be cool if one of the more senior users could just ballpark it to a point that sounds pretty right on. I’m just not as adept at all the deep tweaking as some of those other guys. I’m sure that it can be done with existing models, by modifying tone stacks, eq, tube types and cabs…

I’ve actually gotten pretty close already, but it doesn’t feel as girthy as it should.

But I would very much like a model of the stereo vibrato effect from either a 280, a 480 or an M15. Those were the stereo vibrato models with the most impressive vibrato, IMO.
I need to hear this. Got any clips you could point me at? I love a good stereo effect!

@LeonC those first two videos sound very, very good. I didn't really detect any changes in pitch on the signal as it moved side-to-side. Is there and it's just subtle? Or are they using vibrato when they mean tremolo?

@LeonC those first two videos sound very, very good. I didn't really detect any changes in pitch on the signal as it moved side-to-side. Is there and it's just subtle? Or are they using vibrato when they mean tremolo?
I've played through all of these types of amps and yes there's most definitely pitch modulation and it is most definitely in stereo.

I think that the stereo effect in these demos wasn't recorded particularly well. It certainly wasn't in my demo, not at all. But if you hear one of these amps --properly tuned up--the stereo effect is very present and super cool particularly if you can use some extension speakers that are spread apart a little bit.

Sounds to me like they are using the Fender definition of vibrato.
If you check out the amp that I am specifically referring to in the title of the post, you’ll see that they have both vibrato and tremolo. The tremolo is traditional and the vibrato is lush with modulation and stereo swell....

Sounds to me like they are using the Fender definition of vibrato.
No, actually, they were among a very small group of amps that actually used pitch-modulating vibrato. The designer of the vibrato circuit, Don Bonham, had it patented. Here are some other examples (not stereo) where its pitch modulation is more evident.

Back
Top Bottom