Closed Tone "Freezing"

Status
Not open for further replies.

verstamp

One of the most amazing things about the Axe-FX is Fractal's constant drive towards making things better. However, this constant drive can create an issue where dialed in patches may require small-to-large adjustments any time a new FW rolls out. This is awesome for dialing in new sounds, but can be a bit rough if you have a large patch that you spent a lot of time dialing in previously.

I'm curious if some sort of method could be implemented to "freeze" amp tones so that we migrate to new FWs as they come out, without concern for not having time to dial things back in.

I've done this before somewhat successfully with my band by making a recording of a patch's raw amp block after dialing in a tone, and then offline tone matching against that if a FW changes a patch dramatically. It's not perfect, but it gives me the ability to update FWs to try new stuff without having to worry about having time to redial or roll back FWs.

There's probably infinitely better ways to do this, but I'd be curious if some sort of feature could be added where we could store an amp block's dialed-in curve as a "reference" and then match against that reference at a later date, similar to how the tone match block does it. Basically similar to what I'm already doing in my DAW but without having to connect to said DAW.

Thanks for all the great work so far.

I get your wish. But I can’t imagine a way to do it. When the amp modeling changes, it changes the way tones are created. Trying to recreate your earlier tones depends on so many things — how much gain you’re running and where you’re introducing the gain, how hard your pickups hit the amp, the way a cathode follower reacts when it’s driven hard, and so many more — I think what you want can only be done by ear. And only approximately, at that.

Such a request was granted back in the II days, I do not see it happening today.

It would require maintaining older versions of algorithms in the firmware, causing bloated firmware, preset version chaos and support nightmares.

It would require maintaining older versions of algorithms in the firmware, causing bloated firmware, preset version chaos and support nightmares.

350.png

it's almost like asking for new pots and capacitors put in a real amp, but for the sound not to change. sure this is digital, but digital has requirements too, it's not limitless.

best to keep a folder of exports/backups with the Firmware file and the presets, then load all that you need. if you need a tone to not change, then don't change firmware.

improvements are change. i know people still on 2.xx or older for the Axe3 because they're in a tour or on-going show. it stays that way till they're done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom