Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.08

Read the manual, it explains how the individual levels work in the Cab block.
Super, thanks well explained in the manual, I just panicked since it was working different than before and the three other knobs did what I expcted so I assumed my AXE was broken or some seting caused it :)

About 5.3 ms. The length doesn't determine the amount of bass. It determines the resolution. If there is a sharp resonance in the bass response a short IR will smear that resonance causing it to be wider than it actually is.

In Pete Thorns' video on page 2 of this thread he showed how anything under 10 ms started to really effect the sound and in particular it cut out much of the bass...by the time you got down to 5 ms it was really noticeable... he felt that 20 ms was about as low as you want to go...but that is about 1024...

However I am finding that some Cabs seem to go down to 256 (5.3 ms) just fine with no appreciable loss in bass response or "smearing"...

It would seem something else is going on here ...or the IR he used just couldn't go below 10 ms and still be usable...?

This update has given me just about the right amount of extra CPU room I needed to get that kitchen sink preset really cooking!!!!

Thank you Cliff for all your hard work!!

Super, thanks well explained in the manual, I just panicked since it was working different than before and the three other knobs did what I expcted so I assumed my AXE was broken or some seting caused it :)
The level controls in the Cab block have not changed behavior...

This update … GAME CHANGER!! The advances with the Cab block are incredible and you can really sculpt the tone! Keep up the great work FAS!! Loving the AxeIII and FC12!

Gee, I wonder where one might be able to purchase these "just right" IRs? :rolleyes:

Spam%2Bwaitress.jpg
Didn't mean to plug but there are some really good ones in the Fractal Audio store that may be worth checking out: https://shop.fractalaudio.com/cab-packs/ ;)

I think UltraRes is one of the coolest things that sets Fractal apart from everything else that's out there. I recently posted a video about how much information you'll have in a near-field IR and there's a lot going on all the way up to 170ms. If there are problems within that range then I would rather fix it at the source than by decreasing the IR length but that's just me. Same thing with a harsh top end - you can fix it at the source rather than using post-EQ. It's pretty simple logic. :)

Didn't mean to plug but there are some really good ones in the Fractal Audio store that may be worth checking out: https://shop.fractalaudio.com/cab-packs/ ;)

I think UltraRes is one of the coolest things that sets Fractal apart from everything else that's out there. I recently posted a video about how much information you'll have in a near-field IR and there's a lot going on all the way up to 170ms. If there are problems within that range then I would rather fix it at the source than by decreasing the IR length but that's just me. Same thing with a harsh top end - you can fix it at the source rather than using post-EQ. It's pretty simple logic. :)
This is 100% true, however, I suppose in the IR world when you do not have access to the source & you’ve exhausted all available resources, (ie, run out of IR’s to choose from) this is a welcomed tool to have. Although I haven’t tried it so I can’t say how effective it is, and I will say for me personally I think I’ll have a hard time convincing myself to like it based on the fact that it’s removing information which equates to less resolution in my mind, but ya never know.. :rolleyes:

I

For live sounds you may want to high cut, but I find that cutting a little 2k-4k 1-2dB gets rid of the fatiguing frequencies when cranked. Cutting a little top will slightly tame your tone, while cutting too much will take away note separation and you’ll lose yourself in the mix.

Where do you do the cuts 2k-4k 1-2dB Justin. Before or aftzer the cab block?

There were no changes to the modeling. If you are using Global Cab Blocks you will need to adjust the Low/High cuts.

Hi, @FractalAudio
When I compare the Cab Block and IR Player Block, load the same IR and the same setting on both Block I can feel the sound change very very subtle it hard to hear but when I play I can feel it different especially play loud , could you please make a switch that can switch on/off the Low/High Cut on individual Cab IR slot? because I mix IR on Cab Lab, I don't use High/Low cut on Cab slot section

thanks for your hard work

Back
Top Bottom