Connection woes with both MIDI and Ethernet

I have an original Axe-FX II and MFC-101, two different midi cables one of them relatively new. Every time I set up my system, the midi connection doesn't work and I get the timeout error. It takes 2-3 tries of unplugging/replugging the midi cable, trying another, flipping the cable around. I always get it working eventually, but it seems to be getting progressively worse and i's very frustrating to have to keep going through this process. Not sure if I have a bad connection in one of the midi jacks, bad cables, or what. I've also never got the ethernet connection to work since I bought it... tried several different ethernet cables. Not sure if I need a special cable, or maybe the previous owner fried the port somehow?

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong... I'm using a 5-pin midi cable, but the sockets on the Axe-FX II and MFC-101 are 7-pin, so when the midi cable wasn't working, I had inserted the cable offset in the wrong orientation... easy to do.

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong... I'm using a 5-pin midi cable, but the sockets on the Axe-FX II and MFC-101 are 7-pin, so when the midi cable wasn't working, I had inserted the cable offset in the wrong orientation... easy to do.
That will do it. I always use midi cables that have a notch in them that forces you to insert them correctly. For the ethernet, you need to change the MFC from midi to expansion in the midi menu. It's in the MFC manual as I don't remember exactly how to do that. I think there is a setting on the Axe's midi menu that needs to set as well. The ethernet connection seems to be more susceptible to name time out errors, at least in my experience.

I just suggested the same issue in another thread earlier today... His cable did not have the little nub that aligns the cable. I'd recommend a new cable with better connectors ;)

EtherCon, not ethernet... Those are protocols, not cables. The cable should be a CAT 5 or higher, I believe.

If you bought used, it is very possible the port is fried - common issue.

Also, I assume you changed MFC mode when trying that?

Back
Top Bottom