Input Jack stopped working

Bman

Power User
I can get a connection by pulling up fairly hard on the cable to force a connection (yeah I know, not recommended). I did search but didn't see any quick fixes. Tried the support channel and that was not very user friendly.

I could've sworn I'd seen other threads with same problem but can't find them in the search function. Then again I never read the threads since I didn't have a problem until now. I don't wanna pull the chassis off unless I have to. So, I'm hoping there's an easier fix. Any help is appreciated.

Looks like the jack needs to be replaced, which is beyond my skill set (I think). What's the next step? I bought it off Reverb a little more than a year ago. Should I look for someone local or ship it to Fractal? I'm assuming warranty is void because I'm the 2nd owner. It should be an easy fix for anyone but myself right?

I would find someone local, like a known good electronic repair shop and have them solder in a new jack assy. This does take some good soldering skills to replace a jack like this on a circuit board. Someone posted a USB jack replacement recently. At about 6:50 on the video you can see the input jack on the far right side. I would call Fractal and order the correct part, and let a professional replace it for you. Have a great day.
Link:

That’s about as basic a repair that you’ll ever see. I’d just have someone local do it if you’ve never held a soldering iron before. No way I’d ship that off for a bench fee type repair.

That’s about as basic a repair that you’ll ever see. I’d just have someone local do it if you’ve never held a soldering iron before. No way I’d ship that off for a bench fee type repair.

I took it local. Without looking at it the guy said the jack almost always has to be replaced. He said he'd contact Fractal to order it even though I offered.

What did they say? Are they sending you the part?

They created a shipping order for me so that I could ship it up there. They charge a basic fee of $40 and minimal charges if any for small repairs. I'd pay for the shipping.

I elected to go to a local amp and stomp box builder. Should know more tomorrow after he's able to get to it and check it out.

Plugged into my Marshal DSL 40 last night to cure my jones.....I can't say enough about the Fractals....lol. The crunch tone was harsh. The clean was really nice though. But I can definitely say I was roughing it...lol.

Day 3 or 4 without my AX8. My heart is heavy, like I’ve lost a friend. I’ve also discovered I may have some hearing damage. When I turn up my Marshall ‘cranked’ loud I hear what almost sounds like a a rattle in my right ear. I experienced it before trying to crank my Xitone and thought maybe the Xitone had a loose screw or something. Unfortunately it’s gotta be my ear.

So going FRFR is now most likely my only option besides earplugs. The years of unprotected abuse caught up. And I’m not so sure it wasn’t from one night when the wife was out testing my DXR10. I had it SOooo loud just testing the boundaries. It was the last time I had anything that loud and I’ve noticed this since.

Wish I had my Blackstar 5watt still. That thing sounded great at tv watching levels.

No way I’m selling my AX8 before buying the new thingy. Just gonna chill on the wait list.

Input jack replaced!!! I used a shop here in Houston called Steamboat Amps for the repair. Jake, the owner, had to order the jack from Fractal and the whole deal was done within a week. I'm floored it was able to be resolved that fast. Jake also said that it was one of the most difficult repairs he's made in a while. Something about the way the jack attaches to the PC board. Thank God, I didn't get in there with my soldering iron. Also, thanks to the folks at Fractal for responding to me and for providing the part in a such a timely manner.

Back
Top Bottom