Wireless Options/Connections for FC12/6

If you are trying to use them as a substitute for a FASLINK II hardline between the III and the FC, i would be shocked if it worked, but i guess stranger things have happened .

Yes. Will it work as a substitute for a cable XLR Faslink between the AxIII and the FC12?

Not ideal ... looking to see if this will work as an option.

Sure, cool idea that the FC could be wireless.

But for $200, with a 5-hour battery life, and most likely the need for a separate power adapter for the FC? Don't know about you, but I always have a cable plugged in and ready to go in case anything wireless cuts out onstage.

I think the devil is in the details of what moves over the XLR pins. Data, ground, and POWER.

I think Power is the fly in the ointment in this case. Not sure that the unit that plugs into the Axe FX would be able to handle having current to power a device pumped into it and it surely would not transmit power to the FC that way.

Also, FASLink II is a bi-directional protocol. The Axe sends data to the FC and the FC Send data to the Axe, I believe over the same pin. I think what you have in the device you are asking about is a transmitter and a receiver... in other words uni-directional.

Would be REALLY cool to be able to do what OP is thinking.

Last edited:
I think the devil is in the details of what moves over the XLR pins. Data, ground, and POWER.

I think Power is the fly in the ointment in this case. Not sure that the unit that plugs into the Axe FX would be able to handle having current to power a device pumped into it and it surely would not transmit power to the FC that way.

Also, FASLink II is a bi-directional protocol. The Axe sends data to the FC and the FC Send data to the Axe, I believe over the same pin. I think what you have in the device you are asking about is a transmitter and a receiver... in other words uni-directional.

That's what I'm thinking also. Certainly there are other workarounds (longer cable runs etc.) but was curious to know even if separate power was supplied to the FC if the 2-way communication would work wirelessly?

That's what I'm thinking also. Certainly there are other workarounds (longer cable runs etc.) but was curious to know even if separate power was supplied to the FC if the 2-way communication would work wirelessly?
Would be super cool to have something like that though...

Looking at the product documentation should tell you if the product is capable of bi-directional comm. if they specify there is a transmitter and a receiver (which is how wireless units are designed) is is uni-directional.

The other key is how the fob/dongle handles the higher voltage/amperage from the power pin. Could outright fry the wireless device. That is what I was thinking far more than about powering the FC.

No.

This is a wireless audio device. It carries audio signals. There are no audio signals involved in FASLink. FASLink carries control signals and power. The device you’re talking about doesn’t carry either of those.

No.

This is a wireless audio device. It carries audio signals. There are no audio signals involved in FASLink. FASLink carries control signals and power. The device you’re talking about doesn’t carry either of those.

Thank you. I appreciate the information. Looks like XLR cabling is the only way at this time. Those FAS guys are super smart. They'll think of an option for this.

Thank you. I appreciate the information. Looks like XLR cabling is the only way at this time. Those FAS guys are super smart. They'll think of an option for this.

Well, they are super smart for sure. But wireless doesn't make any sense. They introduced SCENES to avoid gaps between switching. A wireless solution would reinvent those gaps due to the latency of digital wireless. The same latency in audio we encounter when using digital transmitters. Second reason is: You still need a power supply. Cliff somehow is a genius but I doubt he found a solution for "power over air" . And even if, the electromagnetic field would burn a hole in your body when using on stage ;-)

Well, they are super smart for sure. But wireless doesn't make any sense. They introduced SCENES to avoid gaps between switching. A wireless solution would reinvent those gaps due to the latency of digital wireless. The same latency in audio we encounter when using digital transmitters. Second reason is: You still need a power supply. Cliff somehow is a genius but I doubt he found a solution for "power over air" . And even if, the electromagnetic field would burn a hole in your body when using on stage ;-)
I think latency-causing-gaps is a bit of a stretch, but I agree with everything else you said. :)

There are no audio signals involved in FASLink.
I really don't know the physics behind this, but isn't a digital signal just a fast variation of electrical signal, just like audio, but transfers binary code as a square wave? Soo.... Maybe it can be transfered wirelessly in a similar way...

I really don't know the physics behind this, but isn't a digital signal just a fast variation of electrical signal, just like audio, but transfers binary code as a square wave? Soo.... Maybe it can be transfered wirelessly in a similar way...
You're right. It's physically possible to transmit digital signals wirelessly, in both directions. It happens all the time. But a one-way wireless device that takes microphone audio in one end and puts out line-level audio from the other end isn't the way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom