Constant Amp block settings?

Kid Midnite

I am not sure that this isn't an Axe-Edit question, but here goes:

Having read the manual, I still can't figure out how (or if one can) simply change the amp type while retaining all other settings - i.e. eq, within the amp block in order to audition different amps with the same basic settings. Is it possible to do so?

Hi Kid Midnite,
The answer is yes and no.... I have an AX-8.
Do you have an AX FX so you can see/use Axe Edit?
All Amps don't have the exact same "Tone Stack" so an amp like a Fender Deluxe might appear slightly different than a Marhall Plexi Jumped.
But that said, if you right click on the Amp in Axe Edit and then select a new Amp, most of the general tone parameter settings stay the same: Bass "5.0", Mid "4.0", Treble "6.5" etc...
But be aware, something like the Advanced Parameter "Speaker Low Res Freq" will likeliy change.
In fact, a lot of parameters change.
If you have some settings you want to test, without changing the main Amp, Right click on AMP X/Y and copy X to Y.
Then you can experiment in Amp Y without changing anything in Amp X.
It's a great way to compare two Amps, switching between X and Y.
Hope that answers your question.
If you don't have an Ax Fx yet, I can post a couple Axe Edit screen shots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rex
Below is a picture of the AX-8 Amp Block settings in Axe Edit for one of my Presets.
Note there are several pages of Amp Block parameters:
Basic
GEQ
Preamp
Power Amp
Power Supply
Speaker
Speaker Drive
Dynamics

AX-8 Amp Block.png

Here is a picture of a different Amp I added to the Amp "Y" block, a Fender Deluxe Reverb Normal:
I highlighted in Red the differences on the Basic page:

AX-8 Amp Block_2.png

The AX8 is not the same as the Axe Fx III... When the authentic controls were added, the behavior changed and settings now get reverted.

I think that if you set the Axe Fx III to use Ideal mode instead of Authentic mode it might retain them, but I haven't tried.

The AX-8 sounds great and I will keep it as a backup, but I'm looking forward to the new FM-3 + FC-6 with all the cool new features like Channels.

@jimnov makes a good point. The same settings of even BMT on one amp can sound radically different on another amp. For me, there's not much to learn from keeping the same settings from one amp to the next. Find an amp you like, then adjust that to suit you.

hi guys,

Can you help. I am attempting to use XL switching amp model on bank 1 scene 1 but when I hold the button 1 down to switch the colour goes yellow but the chosen sound does not respond. Am I doing something wrong? Only just bought unit so I could be missing something.
Please create a new thread for your issue. It's not related to this issue, and this is also the Axe Fx III section.

@jimnov makes a good point. The same settings of even BMT on one amp can sound radically different on another amp. For me, there's not much to learn from keeping the same settings from one amp to the next. Find an amp you like, then adjust that to suit you.

Fair enough, and that's probably why they reset, so people listen with their ears and not eyes when switching between amps, but on the other hand, I think when switching between different modeled channels of the same amp, or different models of similar amps - like the Marshall models, for instance - there is an argument for keeping the settings constant.

Back
Top Bottom