Pete Thorn's video about the length of an IR?

I've been told this very thing a few years ago and tend to believe it. For live use anyway, I don't think an IR over 20-30 ms impacts the sound enough to matter. In recording though, I always use the longer IRs. It may just be in my head, but I hear more "depth" to the longer IRs.

Peter is a nice guy, and I won’t contest that the difference between short and long IRS with a live electric guitar is almost unnoticeable, but he has an agenda here. Which is promoting the Suhr amp with its (short) IR support. It’s a little curious that Peter, known for his quest for tone, simply waves away the importance and differences.

The difference becomes more clear with acoustic instruments or bass, IMHO.

Length is not the only question. No one else does anything like Ultra-Res, which in my opinion is one of Cliff's greatest inventions.

? I thought Ultra-res was a DSP technique to approximate convolving with a full 8000 samples IR, i.e. it's all about increasing the length the Axe-Fx can process in real-time.

I actually made a response video to Pete's video on the same day:

You'll see pretty clearly that there's a lot of information at least up to that 170ms which is the UltraRes format essentially. My cab live room is tuned to be pretty much perfect for a guitar cab where I minimize unwanted reflections but I'm not suffocating the cabs but letting them breathe in their natural environment. I do provide IR's up to 500ms but the first 200ms will be at least 99% of the sound.

The difference when playing with a short vs full length IR is IMO the "realistic smoothness" that you get especially in the low end. A short IR will feel tighter and you may actually even like the feel. As far as realism goes however I feel like there's a lot more usable information that the IR format can give you and overlooking it is a bit strange. I'm sure we all love Pete. He's one of the coolest guitarists and YouTubers.

Thanks for the video Mikko but I can't hear anythimg except a click noise?

Also thanks to you guys for responding to this subject and I was just interessted what you think about it. Yek is right that he is promoting the Suhr amp but there is a noticeable subttle difference in Pete's video and just been wondering if anyone has experience with the different lenght of ir's. I wouldn't even know how to shorten an "IR".

Thanks for the video Mikko but I can't hear anythimg except a click noise?

Also thanks to you guys for responding to this subject and I was just interessted what you think about it. Yek is right that he is promoting the Suhr amp but there is a noticeable subttle difference in Pete's video and just been wondering if anyone has experience with the different lenght of ir's. I wouldn't even know how to shorten an "IR".
That click noise is what an IR sounds like raw. :) Also one thing to note - if you do this comparison with a far-field mic the differences will be bigger.

Length is not the only question. No one else does anything like Ultra-Res, which in my opinion is one of Cliff's greatest inventions.

just curious... what is the difference between a normal IR and Ultrares? I imported some ownhammer IRs to my AX8, and I can select them not matter what effect type I choose in the cab block..same goes for the factory ones. Can't say I hear a difference either :oops: What am I missing?

Back
Top Bottom