Axe-Fx III Firmware Version 5.07

It’s mean with tons of grind and sounds like it’s about to explode in the best possible way. YouTube the reissue ones. The vintage ones are beasts as well, but there’s something about the gain structure in the reissue that really gets me going.
Justin, if you like that Sunn thing, also do try the Ampeg for guitar with the amp input boost on -- it is killer, and has a unique crunchy thing going on (think Stones Get Your Ya Yes out).

Justin, if you like that Sunn thing, also do try the Ampeg for guitar with the amp input boost on -- it is killer, and has a unique crunchy thing going on (think Stones Get Your Ya Yes out).

That's very cool! I just grabbed my SG, fired up the SV Bass 1, maxed out Input Drive and Master, and put a Micro Boost in front of it with the Drive, Tone, and Level all bumped up a little. Sounds like the tubes are about three seconds away from shattering... and I love it. Great tip!

That's very cool! I just grabbed my SG, fired up the SV Bass 1, maxed out Input Drive and Master, and put a Micro Boost in front of it with the Drive, Tone, and Level all bumped up a little. Sounds like the tubes are about three seconds away from shattering... and I love it. Great tip!

I tried this recommendation w/the SV Bass 2, Input Boost of 6db, into an EV-L 12 ir. It sounds real close to the Ampeg V4 I owned back in the early 70's!

I’ve never played or even heard a Sunn Model T. How would you describe it ?

It’s mean with tons of grind and sounds like it’s about to explode in the best possible way. YouTube the reissue ones. The vintage ones are beasts as well, but there’s something about the gain structure in the reissue that really gets me going.

Yep. I've got the 50w version of the reissue (Model T50C). The higain channel is insane. Like properly insane. It's fat without being boomy, with tons of mids, mostly low mids, in the best possible way. It's just roaring. You can have it set to be really tight sounding, but also the opposite. When I got it I compared it to my 5150. A few seconds into playing the 5150 after playing the Sunn I decided to sell the 5150. I actually kinda laughed at how thin it sounded in comparison. And that was playing the 5150 into a V30 loaded 4x12 and the Sunn was just a 1x12 g12t-75. I've also played the original Sunn Model T a few times. Sick amp. I'd like to own one someday. Pretty hard amp to control though, especially with single coils, kinda goes out of hand easily. The original and the reissue are very different from each other, but very similar too at the same time. Hard to describe. They're their own kind of amps.

To Gregman: Here's an old video of the Sunn T50C I made when I just got the amp. It's just phone-audio and a really bad camera angle, sorry about that. But I think you get the idea.

Is it possible that Cliff , who teased a Sunn model a year ago on this thread, instead created the Skull Crusher, which perhaps has some of the same characteristics......?

Is it possible that Cliff , who teased a Sunn model a year ago on this thread, instead created the Skull Crusher, which perhaps has some of the same characteristics......?
The Model T has a grainier more grinding distortion character compared to the Skull Crusher (and I really love the Skull Crusher). If Cliff ever models the Sunn, my baritone guitar will come out of retirement immediately.

Back
Top Bottom