Axe-Fx III - external switches

Mystik

Inspired
How many switches can I connect directly to fx3 (expression connect)? 2 (TS cables) or 4 (TRS cable)?

There are two expression jacks on the AxeFX III. The manual says "Each of the two local Expression jacks of the Axe-Fx III allows you to connect one expression pedal or one external footswitch." and "Expression pedals must be used with Tip-Ring-Sleeve (TRS) cables!" on page 12. On page 161 it says "A regular 1/4" guitar cable can be used with switches."

The manual does not specifically say if two switches can be connected using a TRS cable. You can do that with the FC6 and FC12, but both of those have jacks specifically labeled for pedals (4 jacks) and switches (2 jacks labeled 1+2 and 3+4).

CONNECTING PEDALS DIRECTLY
This section is for pedals connected to the local “Expression” jacks of the Axe-Fx III. For pedals connected to a MIDI or FC Series controller, see the next page.
Each of the two local Expression jacks of the Axe-Fx III allows you to connect one expression pedal or one external footswitch. A connected pedal or switch can change effect parameters, or operate any of a long list of global functions. Many factory presets are ready for use with one or more pedals.
TO CONNECT & CALIBRATE AN EXPRESSION PEDAL . . .
Expression pedals for the Axe-Fx III should have a linear resistance taper and must have a maximum resistance in the range of 10–100kΩ. Expression pedals must be used with Tip-Ring-Sleeve (TRS) cables!
Connect your expression pedal to the desired jack with a TRS cable, then follow these instructions to calibrate: Page to the Pedal page of the I/O menu under SETUP.
Ensure that Pedal Type is set to “CONTINUOUS”.
Navigate to the Calibrate Pedal function and press the ENTER button.
Follow the on-screen instructions to perform calibration. TO CONNECT A SWITCH . . .
Follow the instructions above and simply set Type to “MOMENTARY” or “LATCHING” based on what you’re connecting. (If you’re not sure, check with the switch manufacturer or try both settings to see which works better.) Calibration is not required. You can use a normal guitar cable (TS) for switches.
THE EV-SERIES EXPRESSION PEDAL
The Fractal Audio Systems EV series of expression pedals are perfect for use with all Fractal Audio Systems products. The EV-1 is a full-sized expression pedal. The EV-2 is a compact version. These pedals feature rugged cast metal casings, a high quality 100kΩ potentiometer, and built-in analog volume pedal capa

TO CONNECT A SWITCH . . .
Follow the instructions above and simply set Type to “MOMENTARY” or “LATCHING” based on what you’re connecting. (If you’re not sure, check with the switch manufacturer or try both settings to see which works better.) Calibration is not required. You can use a normal guitar cable (TS) for switches.

Should a momentary switch be normally open or closed?

1 switch per port. Dual-button switches on one port not supported.

It seems like each expression input (which take TRS) could "handle" two switches at the same time.

Could FW enhancement allow this or is this technically impossible according to FAS? Maybe a wish list item?

Last edited:
So what exactly could you achieve by having one expression pedal and one switch attached? Preset up only? Effect disable? Scene down?

So what exactly could you achieve by having one expression pedal and one switch attached? Preset up only? Effect disable? Scene down?

He can achieve lead and rhythm toggle with the switch, and control (for example) delay mix level with the expression pedal.

That’s what I did with a Mission pedal (with switch) when I didn’t have any controller yet for my Axe-Fx III. Clean tones achieved by rolling off the volume pot on the guitar, the rest via the Mission pedal.

I understand it can’t work for everyone, but was a practical and simple workaround.

He can achieve lead and rhythm toggle with the switch, and control (for example) delay mix level with the expression pedal.

That’s what I did with a Mission pedal (with switch) when I didn’t have any controller yet for my Axe-Fx III. Clean tones achieved by rolling off the volume pot on the guitar, the rest via the Mission pedal.

I understand it can’t work for everyone, but was a practical and simple workaround.

The mission pedal has a secondary trs cable for the switch? And this can be set to scene change functions? Thx

The mission pedal has a secondary trs cable for the switch? And this can be set to scene change functions? Thx

Yes it does have two TRS cables: one for the switch, one for the expression.

I’m not sure it can be setup to change scenes, but it can be surely assigned to change the bypass state of one or more blocks, mimicking what scenes do.

I have S1 set up to do scenes inc/dec and S3 doing presets inc/dec.

It works well, although I'm not sure I really need it.

Danny W.
Im trying to get my ext switches on my rjm gt22 to change scene up/down but cant figur out how to any ideas ?

Back
Top Bottom