Electric Mistress Emulation - Axe-Fx III

Man, when I see posts like this I realize I really do not know WTF I am doing with the FX on the Axe, parameter overload. :) Thanks for sharing this AB!

Would love to see more people doing/sharing custom FX blocks like this. Will have to look at FracTool from @AlGrenadine ; I think it can convert blocks now... I have a good library of them from my II where I copped settings from some of the folks that are really master FX guys like @fremen and @simeon who have been kind enough to share things with the community as well.

It's one reason I still run some pedals. I know it might be possible to emulate some of them, but I don't know how to do it.

There is no way I can accurately emulate my Electric Mistresses (late 70s) with the Axe FX. I've owned two, and each one had a unique signature. Each produced a complex noise that interacted with the signal. It would swirl, gurgle, spit, and puke in very unique ways at different points of the LFO period. I could easily tell which unit I was listening to just by listening to the noise they produced. They also distorted in unique ways. And neither had anything close to a logarithmic LFO waveform. They were both triangles, though not perfect ones. These EMs seemed like they had very poor quality control and poor quality components. I don't see how it's possible to replicate, considering the fact that the variation between instances is huge. I haven't tried a contemporary example. Maybe things have changed.

There is no way I can accurately emulate my Electric Mistresses (late 70s) with the Axe FX. I've owned two, and each one had a unique signature. Each produced a complex noise that interacted with the signal. It would swirl, gurgle, spit, and puke in very unique ways at different points of the LFO period. I could easily tell which unit I was listening to just by listening to the noise they produced. They also distorted in unique ways. And neither had anything close to a logarithmic LFO waveform. They were both triangles, though not perfect ones. These EMs seemed like they had very poor quality control and poor quality components. I don't see how it's possible to replicate, considering the fact that the variation between instances is huge. I haven't tried a contemporary example. Maybe things have changed.
Have you tried turning up the swirl, gurgle, spit, and puke parameters?

I'm going to have to give this a try. Have a Deluxe Electric Mistress from around 1977 still in original box. Guys from EHX at NAMM said to me that's worth money. Got one of the rebranded Mooer clones as it was so cheap. One day i'll A/B them.

Awesome. A band I was in at the time played “Somebody Calling” which has some killer Fx in it. Looking forward to getting my rig from the trailer this weekend to try this! Some of Dewar’s best vocals on that album.

Last edited:
Where there is a will, there is a way...paging @Admin M@ !

It is possible you have to put two flangers in parallel...maybe the first is log and second
Is triangle...combined we might get something...we are zero’ing in on this...

AustinBuddy - when you are done with the EM I could use a "Spirit in the Sky" frizzy fuzz tone; one that has that low end signal that sounds like you are only getting the tops and bottoms of very clipped note waveforms; the low end almost farty sound; pick your description. :) Sorry for minor hijack

That's like the first Rush lick i learned years ago! :)

Using this BuddyBlock™ in a fresh new Naked Amps(also™) III JTM-50 patch, with leon’s new Mix2 IR (no™) soloed in CAB block = one happy old guy bashing on a CS Jazzmaster thinking he’s never sounded better playing his tired licks.....
Also........Brinng it on ...Andy Summers Wannabes!! That classic troll yutz @theguitarist can
Kiss our grits.......(insert MIAB clip here, please)

I tried to import the 2 blocks in their respective folders but had an error report when the Axe edit refreshes the blocks definitions. Anybody had the same issue ?

The settings are visible on page 1 but I'd like to know, in case I missed something when importing the blk files. I'm still with FW5.06, maybe it has to do with that ? Thanks.

AustinBuddy - when you are done with the EM I could use a "Spirit in the Sky" frizzy fuzz tone; one that has that low end signal that sounds like you are only getting the tops and bottoms of very clipped note waveforms; the low end almost farty sound; pick your description. :) Sorry for minor hijack

Master Fuzz, turn the bias all the way down to get that gated/voltage starved tone, roll the tone pot way back on your guitar, neck pickup, ideally a tele, and finger pick. Will get you 95% there

Master Fuzz, turn the bias all the way down to get that gated/voltage starved tone, roll the tone pot way back on your guitar, neck pickup, ideally a tele, and finger pick. Will get you 95% there

Agree, try that. Let me add that sometimes with fuzzes (I have been working on cloning multiple fuzzes/Octavias for the Axe-III Effects Library product I'm building) you may have to put an Filter, GEQ, or PEQ in front of the fuzz to get the BMT right. I try to avoid it and use the tone tools in the drive block, but sometimes you may need to...

The Axe-Fx has really good string separation, but with some vintage fuzzes doing that square wave thing I've been A/Bing, , "there ain't much discernible string separation, it's all muddled up together into a lovely square wave"

I tried to import the 2 blocks in their respective folders but had an error report when the Axe edit refreshes the blocks definitions. Anybody had the same issue ?

The settings are visible on page 1 but I'd like to know, in case I missed something when importing the blk files. I'm still with FW5.06, maybe it has to do with that ? Thanks.

I have no idea. I made it on firmware 5.07.

Where there is a will, there is a way...paging @Admin M@ !

It is possible you have to put two flangers in parallel...maybe the first is log and second
Is triangle...combined we might get something...we are zero’ing in on this...
I'm all for going all out to replicate specific effects. I like the example 2112 posted. The vibe is there, but the LFO shapes of mine were different. The first half of that clip sounds very much like my old units, but neither of mine lingered at the extremes of the sweep. The second half doesn't really sound like them at all though.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom