Wish Mix-N-Match inside amp model parts

Joe Bfstplk

Legend!
Looked as far back as December and didn't see this idea:

Not that there's not plenty of goodies in AxeFX III to keep one busy for ages, but what would be really neato-torpedo would be "Amp Builder Mode" - giving the ability to mix & match preamps, tone control networks, power amps, and power supplies into "custom" amps.

Looked as far back as December and didn't see this idea...
"As far back as December" is only six months. This forum is ten years old. :)

...what would be really neato-torpedo would be "Amp Builder Mode" - giving the ability to mix & match preamps, tone control networks, power amps, and power supplies into "custom" amps.
We already have most of that now.

Consider the Amp model to be the baseline for your preamp. You're free to choose from over 100 tone stacks for that preamp. You can change so many parameters in the power amp sim (tube type, transformer behavior and much more) that you can change its behavior wildly. Ditto for the power supply.

"As far back as December" is only six months. This forum is ten years old. :)

Had no luck with the search function, so manually scanned post titles going back about 13 pages or so and gave up. Search, sadly, really only helps if you know the exact name of the thing you are searching for, in most cases.

We already have most of that now.

Consider the Amp model to be the baseline for your preamp. You're free to choose from over 100 tone stacks for that preamp. You can change so many parameters in the power amp sim (tube type, transformer behavior and much more) that you can change its behavior wildly. Ditto for the power supply.

Will have to dig into the tweak pages a bit more and see what comes up. I did find the hidden bias-wiggler tremolo in every amp power supply (after having added a pan/trem block in all my dozen or so presets, triggering a delete and remap of on/off controller for it), but I have spent more time enjoyin playing through it and setting up a dozen or so patches with my favorite amp models and FX (Leslie and Delay) than I have spent deep-diving into the tweaky stuff. Not terribly surprised that the AxeFX III has something roughly like what I was thinking of, given the breadth of choices it presents where it is easily found....

Ok, preliminary digging around in the amp model pages has been interesting. I grabbed my trusty Strat and tried a few different things here and there, including the different preamp tubes. Dug out the three Trainwreck amp models and rolled preamp tubes. Switching to the 7025 in the Express did something nice with the mids that really brought out the gurgle in the Leslie. Tried different power tubes in the Rocket, settled on KT88 as the favorite. Dug up the Jumped Plexi, swapped the 5000pF bright cap for 330pF. Now it has good clean sounds with the channels set low, and is competing for my favorite clean! Tried different power tubes, found some interesting flavors. Ran out of time. Stopped playing at around 10:30 before someone called the police....

The only part of my original request left unsatisfied would be, I guess, a shortcut to be able to cherry pick each tab's settings from different models, so you could quickly switch to a different amp's output section, for example, and compare the differences while fresh in mind. You could screenshot and match settings to the pic, I suppose, but a little window similar to the tonestack picker on the preamp page to pick the power amp, power supply, etc., from different models would be a nice shortcut.

The only part of my original request left unsatisfied would be, I guess,...(to)...compare the differences while fresh in mind.
Put your original tone in channel A. Copy channel to channel B. Make your changes in channel B.

Now switch channels to compare old to new instantly. :)

Put your original tone in channel A. Copy channel to channel B. Make your changes in channel B.

Now switch channels to compare old to new instantly. :)
Or do the same thing in all four channels to instantly compare four different sounds.

plenty of goodies in AxeFX III to keep one busy for ages

I would highly recommend reading through the manual a couple of times, there is a lot in there and so much of what you have asked for is already covered - this is possibly why your search didn't show up any results in the forum.

If you like the idea of using Channels, also try saving your favourite Amp settings as a Block in Axe-Edit. This way you can call on a library of unlimited blocks although the most efficient way to compare them is using Channels as Rex has explained.

Yeah, I have RTFM, but not yet MTFM yet, so not surprised that thought hadn't yet occurred to me.

But, maybe someone else reads this thread and has their 'a ha' moment without having to ask....

Will try Rex's trick. :)

Here's one way to "build your dream amp" in the III

Spent a couple hours picking favorite IRs last night. Got through a whole bank in a couple hours using your suggested method. Will go through the amp model settings next. I need to poke around in there some more. Deffo some good stuff hiding in there....

I do think there would be some merit to disabling preamp modeling like you can disable power amp modeling. Someone has already added a request for the David Gilmour set up of an Alembic preamp into the power section of a Hiwatt. This would be achievable in the 3 using two amp blocks (Fender twin pre, Hiwatt power amp). Another has brought up the FM3 acting as the power amp section on a pedalboard. Its an intriguing concept at least.

Back
Top Bottom