Schaller "S" Locks - Shop Smart, Shop S-Locks!

fractalz

Power User
FYI - Schaller has come out with new strap locks and they fix the one issue that has bugged me about them - they are now *silent* when sitting and letting the strap go slack.

They also have different sized strap pin screws (I use the small ones to fit the pre-drilled holes on my Ibanez RGs).

Here's their video describing the new locks. I have no affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Sounds like they fixed things I didn't like about them in years past. Wonder if they figured out how to do away with the guitar twist chirp, if anyone knows what I mean.

Cool! Nice update. I can't help wonder how long til the Chinese are making knockoff versions for pennies on the dollar as they do now for the old version.

One thing not changed is the way the strap attaches about 1/4" further away from the guitar body than it would without a straplock. This causes more leverage force back and forth on the screw head, causing more instances of loose/spinning threads in the wood hole.

I have a couple guitar/case pairings where the guitar fits nicely into the case with strap attached. For these ones, I recently switched to the old Grolsch washer trick. Works great, no rattles, cheap/easy, and the strap even gets pushed in a little closer/tighter to the guitar body than just a strap on a regular button with no lock at all. Sometimes simple is better.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up. I'm placing an order!
Been using gen.1 for years..they are worn out, squeak, and a general pain in the ass.
Great improvements...SOLD!

Cool! Nice update. I can't help wonder how long til the Chinese are making knockoff versions for pennies on the dollar as they do now for the old version.

One thing not changed is the way the strap attaches about 1/4" further away from the guitar body than it would without a straplock. This causes more leverage force back and forth on the screw head, causing more instances of loose/spinning threads in the wood hole.

I have a couple guitar/case pairings where the guitar fits nicely into the case with strap attached. For these ones, I recently switched to the old Grolsch washer trick. Works great, no rattles, cheap/easy, and the strap even gets pushed in a little closer/tighter to the guitar body than just a strap on a regular button with no lock at all. Sometimes simple is better.

Cool update indeed, but still will not be buying because of that very reason you mentioned, which this version improves on but still does not quite fix - that leverage.....that moment of force that is exerted because the suspension point is further than the body....wears out the wood the screw is attached to, and that SUCKS!!!!

I'm usually an active player, and though I don't do guitar swings and throws and am generally less rough on my guitars now, these are still unsuitable for me. If I was not moving around much I'd get them though. Dimarzio clip locks for me still please...

Probably as soon as they get their hands on one. The Chinese LOVE to copy things. Not because they are unoriginal, but this perfectly fits their make a quick easy buck mentality. Why develop your own concept when you can lift a ride on someone else's?

I have been using the Grolsch washer trick for ages on my regular guitars. They work great. Easy and cheap. A solution that doesn't eat into your beer money budget but actually takes advantage of it. Win-win! They go strap and all into cases and covers. For my own builds though I prefer a system that is both secure and detachable. Sadly enough I haven't found a system yet that doesn't wear out the screw in the wood.

Sadly enough I haven't found a system yet that doesn't wear out the screw in the wood.
I finally discovered and use stainless steel screws that are a touch bigger than the strap button hole (using Schaller strap locks). Ream out the hole using a drill press and wood clamp, then add a dab of JB Weld to the tip of the screw. Haven't had any issues with any strap lock screws since.
NOTE: I use the felt washer and tighten the screw so the strap button doesn't move/spin around the screw.

I did have a strap button wear out, possibly an imitation that was inadvertently purchased. Using authentic Schaller/Grover buttons, I haven't had any wear out.

Personally, I use Dimarzio Clip Locks, and I have never had any problem with those wearing out the screw holes.

Same here, and that's even with regular guitar spins! Lol!
Their screws are made slightly larger than the typical stock ones and they are pretty deep so they hold on REALLY snug. Plus, when tightened the strap is practically snug with the body, save for the plastic washer (I re-use the old felt as well to not damage the finish). Most pro players use these too.

I've been using the original Schaller's for over three decades, presently on 50 guitars, with no issues. Seems to be a solution seeking a problem.

Back
Top Bottom