Wish Gilmour PULSE amp model

DLC86

Fractal Fanatic
I'm sure lots of Pink Floyd fans (and brit Floyd) would be happy to see this implemented.

Gilmour in the 80s and 90s used an Alembic F2B preamp (which is basically a blackface dual showman/twin reverb preamp) plugged into the power amp of his Hiwatt DR103 heads.

I've tried to emulate that combo (which I owned in the past) either by selecting the hiwatt model and copying all the preamp parameters' values from the twin model, or the opposite (twin with hiwatt poweramp values), but none of those solutions yields to a faithful simulation, probably more advanced parameters would be needed to do so.

So I wish we had a model of that, basically this..
alembpre (1).gif

..into this...
Hiwatt PA Input.jpg

..into this
DR_100wOutput.gif

Thanks!

Last edited:
Okay. You didn’t state in your OP that you were doing that, so I checked to make sure.
I tried various approaches but there's no way to have that perfect emulation.

To make a direct comparison I disabled the power amp simulation and loaded two amp blocks, one with the the double verb model and the other with the tweaked hiwatt.
Selecting the blackface tonestack in the hiwatt and copying all preamp parameters make it sound similar but it still has a different voicing, break-up and dynamics.

I wouldn’t sweat the details too much, the amp really isn’t a big part of his tone IMO, more in the compression, drives, and obviously his unique phrasing and touch.

I think Gilmour would sound exactly like himself using the existing Hiwatt, BF etc models, as do the guys from Brit Floyd get spot on tones with the existing models.

You can do some crazy stuff trying to closer emulate his exact rig, but I don’t think anyone could really pick out the differences from just a twin with the right cab or a hiwatt.

Heck, I bet his tone would sound more authentic no matter what he played through than I’d sound if I wasn’t playing through his exact rig lol

I wouldn’t sweat the details too much, the amp really isn’t a big part of his tone IMO, more in the compression, drives, and obviously his unique phrasing and touch.

I think Gilmour would sound exactly like himself using the existing Hiwatt, BF etc models, as do the guys from Brit Floyd get spot on tones with the existing models.

You can do some crazy stuff trying to closer emulate his exact rig, but I don’t think anyone could really pick out the differences from just a twin with the right cab or a hiwatt.

Heck, I bet his tone would sound more authentic no matter what he played through than I’d sound if I wasn’t playing through his exact rig lol
Me and a friend were comparing Brit Floyd with the Australian Pink Floyd group’s DVD’s. I’d go see either one, but the Australian group really nailed it using what looked like Fender amps. I really think it came down to feel.

There's surely a big truth in what you say and I'm already extremely happy with my tones as they are, but..
There's a reason if the axe fx has 260+ amp models and not just 3 generic clean/crunch/lead amps :)
I mean, we already have lots of mesa models, there was no need for the JP signature, you'll never sound like him anyway :rolleyes:

I don’t know that it would. Might be exactly the same. Might be just the thing that works. But since you said what you tried wasn’t working, maybe you could try this?
I'll give it a shot tonight ;)

I'll give it a shot tonight ;)
In theory, it would be a more flexible setup. More control over the gain stages, which might help dial in the dynamics you want. Then, you can create a channel B in the Fender model to switch back and forth between your “Alembic” and the Hiwatt front end.

I'm sure lots of Pink Floyd fans (and brit Floyd) would be happy to see this implemented.

Gilmour in the 80s and 90s used an Alembic F2B preamp (which is basically a blackface dual showman/twin reverb preamp) plugged into the power amp of his Hiwatt DR103 heads.

I've tried to emulate that combo (which I owned in the past) either by selecting the hiwatt model and copying all the preamp parameters' values from the twin model, or the opposite (twin with hiwatt poweramp values), but none of those solutions yields to a faithful simulation, probably more advanced parameters would be needed to do so.

So I wish we had a model of that, basically this..
View attachment 54868

..into this...
View attachment 55005

..into this
View attachment 54870

Thanks!

Are you using the EMG DG signature set of pickups?

Nope, I use kinman impersonator fat 50s and a PEQ block to emulate the SPC control.
I've compared that to my buddy's EMG DG20 set and it gets really close.

I´m a huge DG fan, part of the way i play, vibrato and bend notes is thanks to him.

I too went that way with different EQs and what not, but the EMG SA pickups sound different than normal SC and the PULSE tone comes from that.

This was my Axe, my PULSE tribute strat, sadly its no longer with me.

32918229937_ea8b6dc62b_c.jpg

I´m a huge DG fan, part of the way i play, vibrato and bend notes is thanks to him.

I too went that way with different EQs and what not, but the EMG SA pickups sound different than normal SC and the PULSE tone comes from that.

This was my Axe, my PULSE tribute strat, sadly its no longer with me.

32918229937_ea8b6dc62b_c.jpg
I think a lot of it is getting the modulation right. I think there’s always a little bit of swirl in his tone.

Back
Top Bottom