FC: Possible to execute two functions at the same time with one switch?

This does not work for me. It does save the effect on/off state of the scene to be the same when I come back to it, but does not change the next scene I am going to. I'd like the effects to work independently. For example: I am in scene 1 and turn on delay. Then I change to scene 2, and I'd like the delay to be left on.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you here, the CS switches should indeed work. I use this all the time. Do you have the CS switch mapped to the Bypass parameter of the Delay? Also, you need to make sure that "CS per Scene" is set to LAST (under the Controllers tab in Axe-Edit). Otherwise the CS switch state will follow whatever you have for the "CS per Scene" (On/Off/Last).

Example:

I have CS5 set to Toggle between my Delay1 and Delay2. I basically have the bypass parameter On/OFF states mapped to CS5 and have their values set oppositely (Min/Max Setting for Bypassed/Engaged in modifier window).

My "CS per Scene" value in the Controller window is set to "Last" for CS5 on every Scene. Now, regardless of the scene I'm in the Delay blocks will always follow whatever CS5 is set for. If CS5 is Engaged, this means activate Delay1 and bypass Delay2. Now, regardless of what Scene I switch to this will always persist because of the "Last" setting.

Just an FYI, if you have Axe-Edit running the GUI may not update quickly.
Edit: Added an example.

Last edited:
@savaitti wants to make changes that persist across scenes. For example: if you engage the Delay, and then change to a scene that has the Delay block bypassed, but you still want to keep the Delay engaged.

Hmmm...so more of an on-the-fly or spontaneous change? Because, I’m thinking “Just have the Delay Block in the new scene engaged!” :)

This does not work for me. It does save the effect on/off state of the scene to be the same when I come back to it, but does not change the next scene I am going to. I'd like the effects to work independently. For example: I am in scene 1 and turn on delay. Then I change to scene 2, and I'd like the delay to be left on.

Your post got me curious, so I had to try it. You might want to try this again - works for me as you describe. I set up 3 scenes (1 -clean, 2-dirty, 3-lead) using channels A, B and C of Amp and Cab, respectively. I added Drive and Delay blocks on Channel A for each scene, bypassed by default.

I assigned CS6 to the Bypass of Drive and to the Bypass of Delay, Controller CS Per Scene set to Last (MUST be Last to be persistent). I changed Min to Bypassed, Max to Engaged
! assigned CS6 to switch 6 on my FC-12, using Latching mode.

I can change scenes, and Drive and Delay bypass state remains as determined by Switch 6 on my FC-12, as to bypass or not.

You may not even need to switch scenes at all by using the Multiplexer: Set up two amp and two cab paths, use Multi Channels on your FC to choose Multiplex Channel A or B. This would presume one of your setups, like "Lead", could be just a Mod of one of those two paths, like add a drive pedal or toggle an Amp channel. Won't help on an FM3, but we don't have that yet... Multiplexer is the real deal, BTW...

Hmmm...so more of an on-the-fly or spontaneous change? Because, I’m thinking “Just have the Delay Block in the new scene engaged!” :)
That only works if you know ahead of time that you’ll want the Delay block engaged in the new scene. ;)

True. I’m a planner!
Me too. But I can see the need for this. I can see myself in the middle of a song, thinking “Okay...this time, I want to do the last half of the solo with an extra delay, and I want to keep that Delay when I come out of the solo and go back to my Rhythm scene.

@savaitti, another limitation is that there are a finite and small number of layouts.

Unless you have a very small number of Preset or all of your Presets are pretty much identical (if the latter were the case why would you need a lot of different presets), the Control Switch approach can easily run out of gas.

I am using several layouts that contain only Per Preset Buttons for this reason. I do not need to have different layouts to deal with the needs of different Presets. Each Preset defines what function is available on any Per Preset buttons that are on a layout. The downside is that it eliminates some of the plug and play nature of the FC because you have to configure your Presets to work with the layouts.

In your scenario you could do something like placing a Per Preset Button that is mapped to Per-Preset Switch #1 in one of your layouts. Then in your one of your Presets you could set up Per-Preset Switch #1 to invoke your Control Switch.

If a different Preset does not use a Control Switch, you can map something else to Per-Preset Switch #1. Alternatively you can leave it unassigned in which case the button will be dark indicating no function is assigned to it.

@biskitboy, @zionpalyer, @Capt Nasty and @finleysound.

Thanks for your help! Now I accomplished what I wanted to do. I got the effect state to be the same across scene changes with CS switches (I did not do it right the first time). You are right about the Control switches running out of gas; I'd actually need some one more even with the FC6, but I managed to get around with it. I did not have to use the Multiplexer, but I'll have to dig deeper into it later. Same applies with the Per-Preset Buttons. But all in all, I got what I wanted with minimal compromises.

I'll briefly tell what I've got now. What I needed is a flexible go-to preset (yes, just one!) for basic rehearse/gig situations. And this is because I am lazy, and I don't want to deal with too many presets. I am your "amp and a simple pedal board guy", really.

I've got 3 "tap" scenes on the lower three buttons (clean, drive and lead with different amps and cabs on three channels). On the higher three I have "tap" reverb, delay and solo boost (a null filter). On the "hold" I have: 1: Tune, 2: Rotary speed (fast/slow), 3: Whammy (on/off), 4: Tremolo (on/off), 5: Rotary (on/off) and 6: Looper Layout. From the looper Layout I can get back with the same button with "hold". I also have two expression pedals. The other one is a wah with auto engage and the other one is a volume swell (with a null filter block), except when I engage the whammy it controls the pitch. All the effects keep their on/off state when I change scenes, so I have an array of three levels of drive and some effects to use which ever way I want.

What I'd like to see in future, is more simultaneous functions mapped to each switch. It'd be nice to be able to have multiple bypass/engage options per button in the Axe Edit without using CS's.

Back
Top Bottom