Adjusting drive volume!

flcmcya

Inspired
What should I be tweaking to balance my drive block with my core amp tone....

Its kicking my arse!

What should I be tweaking to balance my drive block with my core amp tone....

Its kicking my arse!
What kind of tones are you after? What Drive block types are you using? Some are really low drive boosts, others are extreme.

As an example, in the last few days I've been having fun using the 5F8 amp model with the RCB in front with Drive on 10 and Level on about 5 - it's a great clean to edge of breakup tone that works great.

I believe using the level knob in the Mixer section is correct for adjusting volume in the drive block .......

......some of my drive blocks are significantly louder when engaged.... just trying to balance the volumes a bit.

I believe using the level knob in the Mixer section is correct for adjusting volume in the drive block .......

......some of my drive blocks are significantly louder when engaged.... just trying to balance the volumes a bit.
yes. Level is the parameter to adjust to change the level of the drive block.

As Chris said, correct. Just remember to use your ears, there are some drives that I've needed to set the level @ 2.0 in order to have the same volume in the preset with the drive block on or off.

If the drive block is adding unwanted volume you can turn the amp block level down. This won't affect the tone.

Doesn't this affect the signal that hits the front of the amp block?

Indeed. But the output level of the Drive block usually has more effect on the amp block’s gain than it has on its level (unless it’s a clean amp).

Indeed. But the output level of the Drive block usually has more effect on the amp block’s gain than it has on its level (unless it’s a clean amp).

I may have misunderstood the point of the post. I'm assuming the OP is looking to control the added volume introduced when turning up the amp's gain or using a drive block to boost. If that is the goal, then adjusting the amp blocks level shouldn't add or reduce any gain. The same can be accomplished thru the cab block's output volume or the scene's output volume. It's not clear to me what the OP is trying to 'balance'.

Thanks for the help!.... Another scan of the manual cleared up that the Drive block level setting was my friend.
I have been using a decibel meter and it keeps me pretty close to what I actually get FOH.
The mix however....... I'll have to experiment with that....... I'm guessing similar to a delay, it's adding a percentage of the drive tone to your dry signal.
Got my Ax8 ... then got stuck on 12 hour nightshifts for a month... so haven't had much time to learn all this stuff.
Play at my church gig tomorrow till noon , then back for another 12! :confused:
I set up today though and it sounded glorious!

Yeah, the Mix control on the Drive block is a little bit different from the Mix on other effects... But, yes, it does allow you to control the amount of dry signal that is blended in.

Back
Top Bottom